on 28 March 2013
This is the fourth in the series featuring Gordianus the Finder, and, for me, is a real return to form after the previous slightly disappointing episode.
Gordianus reluctantly looks into the murder of an old friend shortly after he arrives in Rome. There are many twists and turns, some historically-based, others fictional, but they blend together beautifully.
The characters of Gordianus, his family, and more frequent acquaintances, are building well through the series, and I certainly feel as if I am getting to know them - even able to predict their reactions to situations (not always accurately!)
The series is a cut above the many Roman novels currently appearing; they have an intelligence which many others lack.
on 29 January 2015
I've given the book five stars as so far I've loved all the Gordianus books I've read. Other than that I can't comment as I haven't read this book yet. I've been catching up on reading since Christmas and New Year and both the Gordianus books are sitting on my special bookshelf. They are under the heading of, 'future pleasures to enjoy'.
on 1 January 2006
Part four in the Roma sub rosa series, Gordianus is now back in Rome and hired to investigate the murder of an Egyptian ambassador by the infamous Clodia (wouldn't you just love to meet her in the flesh? I know I would!).
As in the previous novels there's a captivating mix of fictional and historical characters (Cicero again, Marcus Caelius, Catullus!), all based on solid research and brought to us in Saylor's thoroughly enjoyable style.
on 9 February 2013
I brought the books in paperback version initially, now I've got them on my kindle. Great story lines and a rip roaring read, you feel you're part of Roman history. Love the diverse family and the plots woven around historical events.
on 9 February 2016
Excellent series
on 22 November 2014
excellent
on 6 March 2014
Very well written. Entertaining and at the same time highly informative about classical Rome. A rating of four stars is from me a high rating. Five stars often implies special interest. This book is for everybody, who likes mysteries and or history.
on 21 February 2015