on 28 April 2013
I've bought this with the intention of it being the sound system in the garden gazebo for the (hopefully) coming Summer.

For me, the clincher was the rechargeable battery as the intention is not to have a permanent mains cable out to the garden. But the on-board battery makes it power-compatible with my iPod, net-book and DAB radio, all of which can now play through this Sony for all my outdoor music, radio and iPlayer use.

I say 'almost' perfect for just the one reason. Although the sound is very high quality there is a lack of bass when playing from the docked iPod. As the iPod's EQ is disabled when playing through the base connector this can't be corrected. The 'Sound' controls on the dock are limited as you can't have the bass-boost and sound-expander on at the same time. When connecting devices via the cable though you have the device's own EQ to use and that's when the full range of the dock's sound capability can be shown. The dock CAN play a lovely bass tone, it's just a question of being able to access it.

Overall, an excellent product which makes you wonder why more docks aren't rechargeable.
on 2 September 2012
We purchased this as we wanted a cheaper dock than some of those on offer as it was just for general use in the kitchen and summer house. At £55 it was an absolute bargain, the sound isn't hi fi but we have a separate set up which is. For it's size and especially price it is great and we are more than delighted with our purchase, as is always the case with Amazon, it arrived quickly and safely.
on 28 January 2013
I read several reviews on this item before taking the plunge. I wanted something to play in the kitchen but also to be able to take into the garden and possibly on holiday. Some of the reviews moaned about the sound quality but for £70 I decided to risk it. I think this is really great. The sound quality is much better than I expected and I listen to all sorts of genres in music. It's not as good as the Bose I have in the conservatory but the difference is not that much different in comparison to the price difference. Really pleased with it and it came in 2 days from Amazon on standard free delivery.
on 6 April 2012
I picked this unit up in a UK high-street store after auditioning all the models on display with my 6th generation iPod Nano (loaded with epic/trailer/gaming music). I was looking for a truly portable dock, something that I could add easily to my laptop bag when I go travelling abroad ... and something that was battery-powered & hopefully rechargeable. I quickly realised that the docks on display that fulfilled these basic requirements varied between £10 and £350!

Most of the iPod docks disappointed me sound-wise and even a Bose dock for £350 wasn't great. The shop manager said he would take 10% off it, making it £315, but it was still too extravagant for me given the sound quality.

The best sound for me came from a "Beats by Dr. Dre" Beatbox at £275, but it was not portable in reality (except that it had a handle to carry it by!).

So, decision time ... a compromise was required ... and I went with this Sony dock.

Pros:
- It feels solid & extremely well-built ... even though it's made in China
- It's mains or battery-powered (play & charge) and will play for up to 24 hours on a fully charged battery
- It charges your device when connected to the mains
- It comes with a cloth bag & it fits neatly into my laptop bag
- The dock pops out at the touch of a button for fitting your device
- It comes with a series of caddies for different devices for an optimum fit
- If your device is a 6th generation Nano, it can be fitted without a caddy, and with dock in or out
- It comes with a remote control
- It has 3 sound settings (although the 3rd one is what you will use all the time in reality)
- Volume goes high and spatial separation is not bad

Cons:
- "Solid & extremely well-built" with "integrated rechargeable battery" means it's a heavy addition to your bag
- If you want to use different devices, swapping the dock caddies can be a nuisance
- As the volume increases, the more you notice the lack of bass from only 20W

One thing to know is that this dock appears to produce a better sound from an iPod Nano playing a normal MP3 track than it does from an iPod 4 streaming Spotify Premium. I can't explain why, but that is my judgement.

Remember, life is a compromise, so weigh-up what is truly important to you and then try to audition some units with your actual device (& music choice) before you buy anything.

Me, I'm happy with my choice for the time being, especially for £75!
on 4 November 2013
I must say that I totally agreed with all the reviews on here initially. I thought it was a brilliant compacted docking station with great sounds, however, this time last year my first one started to sound funny and unless you pushed the ipod inwards you couldn't get it to work right. It was a connection fault and was intermittent. The company who sold it on here was great and replaced it for me. Now a year after getting the replacement exactly the same has happened again. The unit has only been used for about six months of the year so it has not had a lot of use to have stopped working properly again. I have contacted seller again and am awaiting a response.
on 5 January 2014
I bought this for myself and so far have been very pleased with the quality of the sound for a comparatively small device, though large for a dock. Admittedly it is a bit heavy, but I see this as a sign of how well built it is and speaks to the Sony brand. When it arrived it was in it's original box which came with various "brackets" to hold various devices such as iPods and iPhones, both of which I have so it'll get loads of use. I like the fact that it charges my phone while it's connected to power and that it cuts off if it's not in use, which I tend to forget to shut things down. Yes, the device allows you to use the equaliser on your iPod or iPhone and you'll probably need to toy around to find the best for your preferences. At £49 I'd say it was well worth the price and I'll have loads of use with it. As far as issues with the connection, I'll be on the look out for those, but trust the Sony brand so we'll see if any appear.

Update: 5/2/15 - The unit or the adaptor has developed some sort of fault after all. One day as I plugged it in, the unit wouldn't turn on and I noticed that it wasn't charging despite being plugged in. I attempted to contact Sony, but they suggested that I purchase a new adaptor for £65, which is well above what I paid for the dock. I've attempted to contact the seller and am awaiting a response. After a little more than a year's use, I'd expect it to still be working well, so I'd like this to be resolved as it's been an awesome iPod dock!
on 12 June 2013
Just got this today and have spent a little while playing about with the EQ settings through different styles of music. Another review stated that EQ settings on ipod dont work through this device....not true they do. Youll find that out almost immediately as that is the one weakness with this device. The sound quality is not what I expected from a Sony product. The bass is weak and the treble is tinny but it's not something that cant be smoothed out with a little playing around. If your listening to Indie/pop on here the sound is very good. Its dance music and to a lesser amount hip hop where it struggles. At low volume its fine but you crank it up at all and the treble is almost painful and the bass struggles to have any impact. I found that using treble reducer rather than bass boost worked pretty well. For the money though I think you'd be hard pushed to find anything much better for use either outside or as a second system in the house - wouldn't work as primary sound system in a big room though

Pro's:
Built in rechargeable battery
Price
Remote control
Looks good

Cons:
Battery makes it heavy
Sound quality
on 19 October 2013
NICE SPEAKERS -SOLID AND GOOD QUALITY SOUND & VOLUME - ALL I NEED IN A DOCKING SYSTEM- THANK YOU SONY
on 18 January 2014
I'm delighted I purchased this item...as you can always rely on Sony for the quality. Loud enough for general household use and saves digging out old cds.
I've put 20,000 tracks on it(at highest level) so far and there's room for approximately another 10,000 tracks I think.
I'm sure that at a reduced level I could have got loads more on it....but with 51 days at 24hr play so far, that seems quite enough space without ditching the quality.
I Just set my "CLASSIC" model iPod on it's "genius" mode and relax.
I'm afraid I don't know how good it will be on other models, but it fully charges the "CLASSIC" perfectly and charges itself quickly too.
I have bought a cheaper brand dock before, but it is a waste of time and money.
This is the real deal and is perfect for my needs.
on 24 January 2014
Easy to use, easy to recharge, easy to carry round. Loud enough with 10 + 10 'cause sometimes you need to turn your favourites up that extra bit, would recommend it without any doubt