on 27 May 2012
I have a 8 month englinsh springer who pulls like crazy. We had tried the halti but although this worked we did not like the harness around his nose.
The happy at heel harness is easy to put on and take off and although it has not totally stopped the pulling it gives you mk more control.
My only complaint would the sizing we purchassed the medium for our springer and although this fitted it had no further adjustment we have no purchsssed thr large
which is great.
If you have a pulling dog give it a go my 8 year old daughter can even walk the dog now.
on 5 October 2012
...

Size - Extra Large.. 8-9...
We bought this harness after having it recommended by a Pure Dog Listener.. Its quite heavy and very strong..

The idea is good, in that you gently stop the dog pulling by changing direction and rather than the dog seeing your back, they are turned around to face you... You can also change the lead to suit yourself, if the dog is walking on the left or the right hand side. It's also easy to slip on and fasten...

It hasn't stopped my German Shorthaired Pointer pulling, but he knows that we change direction so just does a loop around me..(Which is quite funny to watch)

BUT... It is a pain to keep attaching the lead and threading it through the stretchy loop and the metal loop, especially if like myself your dog is let off the lead at different times on a walk..(It's even worse in the wet)
So I use a carabiner on the handle then attach it to the harness, not ideal but better than wet muddy hands....

My main complaint would have to be, that when he stopped to sniff for bunnies, I made the mistake of walking on, then turning around and pulling him away... When to my horror the whole harness came over his head and he was left on the side of a road with no lead and I was left with a heavy harness dropping to the floor....

I should add that I did have my harness fitted by a Pure Dog Listener, so I know it was on correctly and a perfect fit, so that is definitely something to watch out for.

I hope this helps.....
33 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 November 2012
I don't do long winded reviews and I am not going to start now but I will say this is an excellent bit of kit that's easy to fit and works simple as that.
on 22 November 2012
We've had this for a couple of weeks now and I would throughly recommend this harness to anyone with a dog who pulls. I don't usually do reviews on things but I have to say this product is truly fantastic - it really does stop your dog from pulling. I don't know how it manages to achieve this but it honestly does! Our extremely headstrong, over excitable pointer now trots along quite happily at our side - none of the relentless, exhausting pulling that he does when a lead is attached directly to his collar. We also use this harness with an extendable lead and again, no trying to charge off into the distance at mach speed. All our dog owner friends have noticed the difference and are amazed at how well he behaves when he has the harness on (obviously not though when let loose!!). Big thank you to the folks who developed it :) (and no, I don't know them!!)
Oh yes... things you're probably looking for here... 1. this product is basically 2 items - the harness and the lead. The harness is the fab bit, the lead is just a normal lightweight lead 2. easy enough to put on and off. We take the whole harness off when in the field, not fiddle about trying to get the lead in and out of the D-rings (use the clip at the side, not top or bottom) 3. easy to clean 4. your kids will now be able to take your mad dog out which will mean you don't always have to!!
on 19 April 2014
Don't expect miracles. If the dog is determined enough (and mine is) they can still pull you over. It has gradually allowed me to re-train her and she is much better, but you do have to work at it. It depends what your problem is. For a dog who constantly pulls there are better things. For one who mainly behaves but gets the occasional red mist when you see a cat... It allows you to regain control better and without having the harness slip into her eyes.
on 20 January 2014
This is great product. I have a Neapolitan mastiff who is very strong on walks (pulls pulls pulls). I tried a number of harness from gentle dog to wiggles wags and whiskers but none of them stopped the pulling nor got her attention (she would rather choke). My vet recommended happy at heel harness and at this stage I would have given anything a try. The difference was amazing. With practice (check DVD)and regular walks, my dog now listens to me, actually looks up at me and keeps her attentions while on our walks and all the pulling is gone. I'm soo happy with this product and now we can both enjoy our walks
on 12 June 2013
We have a 7 month old Airedale who liked to pull you along on walks, we put this on him and its awesome he longer pulls your arms out of their sockets which is nice..........
on 24 January 2014
I hadn't used a harness before except briefly with other peoples dogs. On those brief occasions I’d never found them particularly helpful. However after adopting a new rescue dog and having a lot of pulling issues, I decided to look for something to help alleviate them.

The reviews of this harness and different design, convinced me to give it a shot. Possibly also the nice Boxer in the product pictures, she looks a lot like mine.

For it's stated purpose it's great. The difference is huge. Pulling is if not removed, made easy to deal with. She's always tugging gently to go a little father/faster but there is little to no, out your arm socket, stuff now.

If you have a dog that goes crazy near other dogs or something like that, then getting close to the fixation will still be bad. The walking in general terms (minus getting pretty close to a source of excitement.) though is great.

I really have been tremendously impressed.

So why the 3 stars?

Well after about two weeks maybe a little more I started to notice balding on my dogs shoulders. This balding corresponds exactly to where the front strap rubs up and down as she walks. That's a problem.

I'm perfectly willing to consider that it may be a fault with the fitting on my part. However having watched the accompanying DVD I don't believe that to be the case.

I seem to remember (Could be wrong.) there is some sort of padding available as a separate purchase and perhaps that would solve the problem. If so and if it does I'll update this review.
on 23 February 2014
we took weeks to decide whether or not to get this for our energetic Labrador, and eventually after one to many tiresome drags, took the plunge, all seemed a minor improvement, the advertising is 'your dog will not pull' is total lies and the DVD supplied is less than useless, its the same video they have put on their youtube channel and offers no useful advice that any potential purchaser wouldn't already know.

Also the final straw was when grooming the poor hound i noticed bruising and raw marks on the underside of his legs, I'm guessing this is why he started running away from it, which for a company which is using the pure dog listener logo(which I am convinced is another marketing tactic) I'm surprised they are promoting this HARMFUL product.

take my advice ignore the hype and use a different product THIS DOES NOT WORK.
on 22 August 2013
Yes it stopped our manic collie pulling straight away, she actually walked without pulling my arm out of it's socket! It's a bit fiddly to put on and adjust so it's right but once you've got the right size and fitting it works! So hahahaha to doggies that drag owners along :P