on 1 April 2012
This book is just priceless. It gives an extremely insightful, very comprehensive view of a world wide phenomena of which most of us are dangerously unaware of. And with dangerously I'm referring to the fact that by naively assuming that at the very core we all tend to be more or less the same, we are leaving ourselves completely exposed an unprotected to the attacks, often vicious, of highly disturbed, sometimes conscience lacking individuals.

I have gone through such attacks for a great number of years, since childhood. Obviously as a child you have no other frame of reference beyond your limited direct experience, and if someone repeatedly attacks you, you simply re frame that in a way that you can understand by assuming that everyone is alike. Wrong, not everyone is alike.
I have done quite a bit of reading on the subject of these highly disturbed individuals that, make no mistake, are responsible for an enormous amount of disruption on a world wide scale. George Simon's book really brought it home for me, though. It completely explained a behavior that I have witnessed and experienced and, adding to that, a behavior that would be, otherwise, inexplicable.

One of the best, if not the best, self defense weapons is to know exactly with what and whom you are dealing with, and having the knowledge of character disturbances and even its extreme form: psychopathy (sociopathy for some), is absolutely fundamental. Simon's expertise on the subject is a much welcomed gift.
20 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 21 May 2014
This book really had some light bulb moments about people's behaviour. I have been trying to find something that explains some very difficult encounters with people who are clearly disturbed in their ability to act decently. The lies, manipulations, verbal attacks, back stabbers, denial , it's all there. I loved the fact that it challenges the 'he's a violent bully so he must have been abused when he was a child' excuse that prevails these days. This book certainly gives a good background and would be 5 stars if there was just a bit more about how to counteract the damage these individuals do. Well worth buying.
4 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 5 April 2015
The author confronts a reality compassionate humanity do not want to face, that certain individuals lack conscience and have disturbed characters. This book is a paradigm shifter. I would recommend this book for those in abusive relationship and people of a neurotic nature to protect themselves against disturbed characters
I do not agree however that this is a phenomenon of our era and believe these individuals have always existed.
One person found this helpful
on 25 September 2017
Outstanding description of character disturbance and how to deal with toxic people. I wish I had this book to hand during my 8-year long relationship with someone whose character attributes featured in every chapter! This book should be on the compulsory reading list in every secondary school.
on 24 March 2016
If you are living with the incomprehensible and what is more no one else seems to see it then this is the book for you. Goes a long way to making sense of the utterly crazy.
One person found this helpful
on 19 November 2016
Great very knowledgeable.
on 17 April 2012
I loved the book Character Disturbance. It was a very easy and informative read.It really explained alot about my family member and how I should handle things.
2 people found this helpful
on 12 August 2015
Very useful for interpersonal relations, and understanding some of the dynamics of asserting oneself. Also, a keenly observant comment on the shortcomings of morality in modern western societies.
on 31 October 2016
Ok
on 27 August 2011
This book is the sequel to In Sheep's Clothing which was a real life saver when I thought I was going mad. I was depressed, but it was the manipulators in my life that were driving me to suicidal thoughts. Once I had realised what was going on I was able to get my life back together and although everything is not yet perfect for me, I feel I am gaining control but I have 25+ years of damage to repair if I am to continue life with one of my manipulators, it is all about how we deal with them and how we react.
13 people found this helpful