Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 49 reviews(3 star). See all 566 reviews
on 11 May 2017
Side A was faulty,rest of the viynl(s) were of great quality , I assume due to the increase in price I couldnt get a replacement and only could get a refund. Would get again if the quality of side A was beter
on 18 March 2017
Wicked voice
on 5 August 2014
Large scratch on the record.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 December 2012
I don't know if Lana is "trendy," a "flash in the pan," or is genuinly talented performer but I've had a lot of fun with this album. It's the typical 12 tracks, although it kind of has been superceded now by the paradise edition, but if this one is much cheaper then this might be a better choice.

The well know songs are Video Games, Summertime Sadness and Born to Die - Blue Jeans too I think many people will recognise. The other tracks feature some different styles, so it is quite a varied album. I like Dark Paradise the most of the "other" tracks.

Nothing wrong with this album, well worth a listen if you like this kind of thing. I don't think it will go down as a classic, but its of it's time and enjoyable. A solid 3 stars.
on 15 February 2012
Were startling beauty and image alone enough to make me buy an album, in Lana Del Rey's case I just might have been persuaded. But it was the voice of Video Games that persuaded me to part with my cash.

However, I was unprepared for the sense of growing disappointment brought on by every listen to this album. Sure, there are catchy melodies and that incredible voice - which is almost sublime in places. And there is a knock out track in Video Games. But the clueless production really grates. Many of the songs suffer the indignity of being completely undermined by absurd samples chanting nonsense in rhythmic stabs throughout. Think chart friendly hip hop crossover hits of the 1990's and you will be close. In places this record is in danger of being crushed by cliche. Such mediocre production comes as a surprise, all things considered. So if you are going to buy this album, buy it for the pleasure of the voice alone. And hope that if Lana Del Rey makes another record, it will be produced by someone with an imagination to match her vocal talent.
22 Comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 December 2013
As a man in his mid-thirties who would flatter himself to say that he has a 'credible' taste in music, it's quite something for me to admit that I find some of the tracks on this album really, really good…

… only a few. And several others are kinda-alright. The singles are the standouts, as one would expect from a pop album, and the rest of the tracks never escape the metaphorical tractor-beam of Born To Die, Blue Jeans and Video Games, all of which come so early in the record that, by the end, one is inevitably disappointed by its inability to 'live up to' its beginning.

It's 'produced' to within an inch of its life - so glossy that it screams "product" rather than "art" - but still, for what it is, it's okay.
on 5 February 2013
I was surprised, having heard little more of LDR than 'Born to Die' and 'Video Games', that Del Rey seemingly wastes her voice and unique style on songs as forgettably cliche as 'National Anthem' and 'Summertime Sadness', as well as other similarly more Pop album-fillers.
Of course, variety is no bad thing, and she is free to express herself, but I was expecting a little more depth and haunting vocals rather than chanting 'Money is the anthem of success'.
on 16 September 2013
I was really looking forward to listening to this album, but was disappointed to find out the only worthwhile songs were songs that have already been released... There were no 'hidden gems'. It is a shame because the songs released seem to be of one type, while the album tracks are more of the 'real ' Lana, which if I'm being honest don't float my boat.
Oh well.
on 27 February 2012
I bought the album on the strength of the tracks I'd heard and loved - 'Videogames', 'Born to Die', and some others my friends had played. I loved her voice (and still think it's lovely). But on listening to the whole album, the cracks begin to appear. The way Lana Del Rey has been marketed as some kind of indie goddess fully doesn't work. The lyrics are simply TERRIBLE. If you don't care about lyrics or meanings this is all fine - the tunes are mostly good - but take a moment to think about some of the words it's mostly shallow, pretentious filler (I'm your national anthem / God, you're so handsome / Take me to the Hamptons / Bugatti Veyron). It's basically just words slumped together to sell a lifestyle.

Aside from the vacuous lyrics, the poor production is all too obvious. The samples in the background, to put it bluntly, suck. If you can ignore this, good for you, but if not (like me) it's grating.

I've given the album 3 stars because it's pretty average. The first five tracks are great, as is 'Radio', but aside from those, Lana's voice doesn't make up for the dull tunes and awful lyrics. The album is far from perfect, and you're probably better off buying the tracks you like - low points such as 'National Anthem' and 'Summertime Sadness' are unendurable.
on 26 February 2014
This is a bit over-produced and sounds crowded. The songs are often very good, and can use the space to breath more. VERY unimpressed with the video to "Sum. Sadness" allegedly depicting suicide - not needed for a young fan base if that is the case. Found it hard to watch as a consequence.