on 21 July 2013
Was going to go for a the bigger 10000mAh battery but thought I've give this a try first because it looked like a nice size and a good compromise.

Very happy with my purchase. The battery looks great, it's very small and comes with a nice little bag. As an iphone 5 user I knew I wasn't going to get an adapter included (it would be nice if Anker do in future) but it wasn't an issue, I just use the ridiculously short cable that apple supply with the phone.

Anyway, I charged it up straight away from the mains and did some tests in my first week with the Astro mini. First test was to top up my phone each evening until it was 100% and NOT charge the mini in between topups. I managed to charge it up on 3 consecutive nights from 60% to 100%, 50% to 100% and 53% to 83% before the mini was depleted.

The next test was to let the phone battery go completely flat and see how the mini coped charging it from 0% which I believe is harder to do. It coped well, I got one full 100% charge and then the next evening I charged the phone from 66% to nearly full, I think it was about 88%.

So conclusion is you can get about 3 half charges or about 1.3 full charges on an iPhone 5 with light use of the phone whilst charging. So in my view this fit's the bill perfectly for me for weekends camping or long distance walking where I might need to juice up my phone because I use it a lot as a camera. For the price and small size, this is perfect for my needs.

Nice one Anker! I would definitely purchase your products again.
33 comments| 691 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2015
I initially purchased the Anker Astro Mini (2nd gen, 3200mAh) as a small backup to keep my smartphone topped up following a comparison and discussion at the Wirecutter (http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-portable-battery-pack-for-daily-use/). My requirements were something small (that would fit into a small extra pocket in my backpack), lightweight, that would be able to charge my phone from dead to full or near full, and that was simple to operate.

I've been using the Anker Mini for over a week now and overall I'm extremely impressed. The box (which was satisfying to open thanks to small touches like the "Thanks for choosing Anker!" message on the flap) contains the Anker charger, a Micro USB cable, and a drawstring bag -- it does not come with a USB plug. The Mini comes precharged and is usable straight out of the box.

The Astro Mini has two ports, one for charging the itself and one for charging your devices; a LED light, and a single button. The device itself is not the most intuitive so I found I did need to read the manual -- a quickstart guide would have have been a nice addition. The LED indicates when the Mini is charging either a device or being charged (green), is low on battery (red), and is itself fully charged (yellow) however in my usage so far I haven't found the LED particularly necessary. The construction of the Mini is perhaps the most standout feature of the design. It feels rugged (as if it could be dropped and beaten, much like an iPod classic) and sturdy which is an overwhelming plus when compared to other similar products. I've discovered that the Mini fits into my jean pocket with my wallet which is another massive bonus for it.

I've found the charging speeds from the Astro Mini to my phone to be fast as advertised but not enough to keep up with my Nexus 7 (2012) whilst using it. Whilst charging I would have expected the Astro Mini to get hot to the touch but this is not the case, a positive if you're charging on the go. Charging the Mini is not as quick as I'd hope despite me using a fast charger but charging overnight eliminates this problem. A fully charged Astro Mini is able to revive my phone from dead to near full capacity and so I can confirm the advertised capacity is not far off reality. Overall the charging experience is solid. I cannot comment on the "power IQ technology" as I've only used this with two devices.

A few comment about the drawstring bag. It comfortably fits both the Astro Mini and the included USB cable and is my go to method of keeping them secure and together. After a week of carrying them in the bag I have noticed wearing from the inside of the bag and small black fluff on both the charger and the cable however this is not a huge concern of mine. The bag has a drawstring closing mechanism which in my experience is fairly hit and miss, occasionally not closing as smoothly or as fully as I'd hope. The bag does not feel as if it's the highest quality material and I'm certain it's not going to last anywhere near as long as the Astro Mini. All that said, I'm glad they included it and I will purchase a higher quality version when this one wears out.

Overall, the Astro Mini met and exceeded my expectations. The Astro Mini is well constructed, small enough to fit in my pocket with other items, and is solid in the charging department.
review image review image
0Comment| 147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 November 2014
If you’re anything like me, you’re on your mobile 24 x 7. Of course, this also means you can’t spend more than a day away from a socket - that is until now.

Here’s why…..

What is it and what does it do
—————————————

This tiny coloured aluminium tube (about the size and shape of a cigarette lighter or a lipstick) is an external battery pack for an iPhone or Android Smartphone. Basically, if you’re out and about (on a long rail journey or away camping or at a rock festival), you can get a quick re-charge, and keep going all night.

What's it like?
------------------
In a word, really cool (OK so that’s two words).

Effectively it’s a tiny aluminium tube, 4 inches long by 1 inch diameter with a little button near the top. Depending on whether your a bloke or a girl, it looks like either an ultra-smart cigarette lighter or an expensive perfume atomiser or lipstick.

Finally, these things are rated in miliamps per hour, and this is rated at 3,200 mAh. What it means is, depending upon your handset, you can charge it from flat to 100% at least once, and maybe a couple of times (see the details below).

What will it charge?
-------------------------

Well, just about anything as far as I can see. This includes

* Apple iPhone 5, 5s and 5c, 6 and 6
* Apple iPhone 3, 3G, 3Gs, 4, 4Gs.
* Apple iPad (both wide pin and lightning connectors).
* Almost any Android tablet.
* Samsung Galaxy Note 3 S4 S3 S2 Note 2

I tested it on an iPad Air (lightning connector), iPad 3rd Generation (wide plug), iPhone 4GS and Google Nexus 5 smartphone.

Does it work?
------------------

Glad to say, yes. it charged my Google Nexus 5 from under 50% charge to 100% within an hour.

For comparison purposes, here's the battery capacity (mAh) of some popular smartphones:-

* Google Nexus 5 - 2,300
* Samsung Galaxy S3 - 2,100
* Samsung Galaxy S4 - 2,600
* Apple iPhone 5 - 1,400
* Apple iPhone 5S - 1,570
* Apple iPhone 4S - 1,432

Be aware though, at 3,200 mAh it won’t perform miracles, but as an emergency charger it’s brilliant!

What's Good about it?
-----------------------------
* Beautiful cool design.
* Perfect size to carry with you all the time
* Tough aluminium - should survive a few knocks
* As a bonus, it even has a tiny little light built in.

What's not so good?
-------------------------

Not a lot really. It's so tiny you can carry it with you without even knowing it, and it will save you from a no power problem.

Disclosure: I was kindly sent this by the manufacturer to give an independent unbiased review. On the positive side, I get to review an awful lot of these mobile batteries, and this one is brilliant.

Conclusion
---------------

Fantastic little charger. Absolutely love it. Highly recommended.
22 comments| 206 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 August 2014
Great little device. Charges my Samsung S3 very quickly and my Samsung table. The only downside is that it doesn't indicate when it running low and needs recharging so you won't know until your going to charge something - then you realise that it's dead :-). An indicator would be useful.
on 17 November 2013
Item was excellently packaged and presentation was definetely 10/10. I charged it up out the box until it was at max capacity. It takes 4hrs 5 mins to charge the Anker powerpack up. Takes just over 2 hrs to charge my iPhone 4S fully and then there's enough left for another partial charge around 30-40%.
Its a perfect size to keep in a rucksack for an emergency which was why i purchased it as i ride a motorbike and so have no means to charge my phone or action cam while i'm out. The quality of the supplied USB-to-microUSB cable and adaptor for iPhones(3gs, 4, 4S etc) is top notch, and although there's no led indicator to let you know how much charge is left in it, as long as i charge it up before i leave then there was plenty for the day ahead. Build quality too was 10/10.

EDITED
I edited the rest of my original review because with subsequent uses i found i was getting less and less charge on the second topup. Sadly it seemed i had a faulty one as the second charge that originally gave me 38%, then dropped to 15% and 8% etc each time round i used it. Looked like the powerpack wasn't holding charge.
I emailed Anker about the problem, and the customer support i got was fantastic. They really do aim to give their customers a 5 star service! It was all sorted out within a few days and i was left with nothing but praise for them afterwards. Nowadays aftersales support is as important as the product itself, and Anker really do excel in both.
44 comments| 201 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 November 2014
I have had this for some time, when I first received it it powered my iphone 4s up twice on one charge, which I thought was really good. Since that time (and I have only used it 3 or 4 times) the charging capability has decreased so it charges my phone to about half, if that. So am somewhat disappointed and don't think this was a particularly good purchase.
on 6 April 2016
This is a nice little product, and is well made with a brushed aluminium finish. I also like how the on/off button is on the end and not on the side like some competitor products.

However, and this is a big problem, an output of only 1A means that it is not capable of charging my phone which simply refuses to charge. If I use my larger and heavier Anker powerbank, which I also own, and which outputs a full 2.1A, then my phone charges fine.

I thought it was worth pointing this out to people. So check the requirements of your device before purchasing!

Update:
Despite my review being just one amongst thousands, Anker Customer Support read my review and then contacted me to say they were sorry to hear that this product didn't meet my needs and offered me another power bank from their range that does output 2.1A, completely free of charge, and also that I didn't need to send this one back. Absolutely outstanding service! I will definitely be buying Anker again in future.
on 16 March 2015
I bought one of these to keep my iPhone and Garmin charged up during a multi day bike ride. It did the job perfectly - small, light and simple. But a few weeks later it suddenly stopped recharging. I contacted Anker through Amazon, who replaced it quickly and without quibbling. The replacement has now failed as well. I have ordered another product as a replacement.

A lot of the other reviewers have had similar experiences. I suspect that the higher ratings are from buyers who submitted their reviews before their unit had had time to fail.
on 14 July 2016
I've bought three of these so am just going to copy and paste this review for all of them. This is a really handy but powerful little gadget. It's small and light enough to fit in your pocket or purse and comes with it's own little protective pouch and the charging cable (to recharge the charger). Note the cable provided is USB one end and micro USB the other. This MAY charge devices that are charged by micro USB (and you'd connect the other USB end to the charger). I certainly used it successfully to charge my Nexus 7 tablet which charges by micro USB so I'm assuming that it will do the same for other micro USB devices. If your device is NOT micro USB then you'll need to use a different cable, i.e., the type that charges your device such as a lightning cable for iPhones (5/6) or the different iPhone 4 one. I simply bought a spare cable for each of those and keep them in the pouch with the supplied cable and charger.

To charge the actual charger itself, simply plug the micro usb end into it and the USB end into a USB charging plug or laptop/PC. It fully charges from 0 to full within about 4 hours. There's a yellow light displayed whilst it's charging and this turns green when fully charged, then off. There's also a little button to press to find out how much charge it has remaining.

It's already also been a lifesaver to both my son and husband whom I bought the other 2 for AND a spare lightning cable for their iPhones to keep with. Son was delayed at cricket and husband stuck for hours on a train and both only able to keep up communications by phone because they had this charger and spare cable on them. There's the added advantage of it looking like a lipstick (for ladies who want it to) but also comes in various colours so deflect that look for men! Really nice colours available too. I bought 3 different coloured ones so we can a) tell whose is whose if they're ever all together; b) to match the spare cable colour and/or c) just the recipient's favourite colour.

As a wife and mum it's just very reassuring to know that my child especially has a back up should his phone die. I have friends with young daughters who feel the same and their daughters love it too. Highly recommend it.
on 31 August 2015
I really like Ankers mini lipstick battery pack, it's so handy especially when your about to go out the door and notice your phone battery is low.The quality of the product is great and you can really see why they lead the market.