on 10 January 2018
Some series issues happen in the workplace. Bought this book as l was in a sticky situation at work. It really helps you alalyse why you react the way you do to idiot workmates who push your buttons. What it does is help you alter your perception of the problem, which does not mean necessarily to be you have to go on the defence but more be assertive in a clever way. It is more a reference book than a text book.
on 29 December 2012
I have just started this book and find already some helpful ways to deal worth the stress of living with a perfectionist who is under constant stress and who passes it on verbally. I am hoping to gain more from it so I can deal better with and not be affected by such behaviour.
on 1 December 2012
Doesn't really help.
Can't say that it gave any sensible advice that would help in a business situation.
Some websites give more common sense IMHO.
on 25 June 2015
A very useful book
on 13 May 2013
What a load of rubbish would waste a download on this. Nothing that I've not already tried. Was very disappointed with this book .
on 24 November 2011
I read this book looking for an insight into some personal relationships. It is focussed pretty completely on work, but many of the tips one could use elsewhere. Ideas I found interesting included:

Suggests putting thoughts about the situation in the past tense, so that "nothing will work" becomes "nothing has worked yet".

Planning to "do" one's feelings properly by taking time to experience them (thinking about how long one will nee dto "do" this feeling of anger or sadness, finding a good place and time, and having a plan about what one will do immediately after experiencing the feelings).

Preparing "spacing comments" to use in difficult situations, so one has neutral comments to calm things down, rather than reacting angrily or defensively.

Rethinking bad situations by, for instance, imagining a glass wall between oneself and the other person, or seeing it in still images rather than as a film.

Lists of things to think about to help one plan what to do in bad situations.
on 22 December 2009
After an unexpected tricky patch with "really difficult people", I reached for Mike's book for reassurance. In doing so, the little light bulb on the cartoon version of me flashed brightly, as I caught visions of myself, my situation and possible solutions in the pages of this friendly resource. The beauty of the book is in its lightness and accessibility, as I quickly find the chapters that speak to me and allow the nuggets of sensibility to land full-force in my lap. Not only am I not alone in my struggle with "the enemy", I feel understood and valued for my point of view as a reader - in one easy sitting.
on 11 November 2009
An inspirational book that is fun to read!

Although it has a work-based focus, the ideas in this book are equally useful for dealing with social situations. Can't stand your best friend's girlfriend? Got the father-in-law from hell?

- Learn how to get the best out of people you really don't like.
- Identify your goals in interactions (don't get lost in the mire!).
- Develop new approaches to getting what you want in difficult situations.
- Understand more about people who are very different from you.

Make life easier for yourself! Sometimes we can't change situations - or people! - but we can change how we react to them. This book facilitates change.
on 22 September 2011
This is my most recent read by Mike Leibling and it has helped me enormously.
Difficult people can make your life hell!
Mike's strategies and survival tips are so useful in a practical application sense but also 'amusing' and that helps to take the 'sting' out of damage that difficult people can do to you.
Mike helps you to realise that there is always something you can do to take back control and stay 'healthy'
I know that I will find myself referring to this book again and again and recommend it highly!
on 11 November 2009
This book serves as really useful reference material for lifes challenges - no, you don't have to read it cover to cover but dip in at any point and you will find a gem.
I loved the real life stories, they rang so true and really helped to bring the learning to life.
Read it and welcome those challenging realationships rather than avoiding them.