on 8 September 2017
I bought this to replace an existing single to double converter socket - in our house in Cyprus we have lots of those because 16 years ago, when the house was built, I don't think Cypriot builders understood the power needs of modern people and fitted single sockets everywhere!

The installation was simple for anyone with basic DIY skills - just remember to switch the mains off first!

As other reviewers pointed out it would be better if the wire entry points for the connectors on the rear faced upwards. For me I had plenty of 'give' in the power cables in the wall so I was able to connect the wires with the socket upside down then rotate it to attach to the wall.

It's a great little device and, like others have said, so much tidier than just plugging a 4 way power strip into a single socket.

I do like the fact that it's an enclosed unit and does not occupy any space inside the wall box cavity. This makes it easier to fit if you have two (or even three) lots of mains cable wound up inside the hole. Of course the reason for this is that the socket accommodates the entire depth of all the pins on plugs inserted into the socket so that does make this adapter a little thicker than double converters where the longer middle 'earth' pins actually occupy a few milimetres of the wall box cavity.

The design of the one I received was different to the one pictured on the amazon product info, the main difference being the addition of an LED to indicate surge protection. I've heard that surge protected sockets can play havoc with Powerline adapters but I have an IP camera connected to mine using a Powerline adapter and there is no problem.

I given 4 stars instead of 5 because of the downward facing wire connectors and the fact that the incorrect imagery on the product information indicates a slight lack of professionalism on behalf of the vendor. Perhaps that's a bit harsh so maybe it's a 4.5 stars!
review image review image review image review image review image
on 27 May 2017
I was a bit concerned about the negative reviews, but I bought it anyway as there was no alternative.

Luckily before I fitted it I idly tried to push a plug into the sockets, only to discover that the shutters on two of the four sockets were jammed! It was easy enough to open the thing and scrape away bits of plastic moulding flash that were in the way, and when reassembled everything was OK. (It's fitted in a difficult-to-reach corner, and I would have been angry if I'd gone to the trouble of removing the old socket and fixing this one before I found this problem.

Now that it is in place I am happy with it, though I'm not sure why there has to be a green light glowing all the time. In a darkened room this is very obtrusive, made slightly more bearable by standing a hardback book over the glow. If access was easier, I would take it off and disable the LED!
on 27 May 2017
I have to say that this is one of the best things I have ever bought! Much neater than a ganger and each socket has its own switch. Easy to fit with just two screwdrivers - and I assure you I am no DIY person. As soon as I fitted one i immediately bought another. Both used in the kitchen so that where we had 4 sockets we now have eight. As the number of gadgets increases this solves the problem of having to unplug one machine in order to plug in another. I can highly recommend this value for money item.
on 13 March 2017
As easy as they claim. 10 minutes to unscrew old double non-switched wall socket a quick cable tidy up and then screw this to the wall and hey presto, from 2 that would arc when pushing a plug in, to 4 with lovely switches. Would buy again, no doubt.
on 2 October 2017
The price keeps changing but I've bought a couple of these now and they're so easy to fit. What I like about these are that around the back the terminals don't stick out far and take up little space so they easily fit into shallow back boxes. They're also surge protected with a small indicator light confirming that, and have an integral fuse. They do stick out from a wall quite a bit but that's because the rear is so shallow, it's all in the front as it were, which some might not like but that's a personal thing. I think they're great, have bought a couple already and cleaned up a few rooms from trailing extension leads.
on 6 August 2017
As others have said - the item sent was different ( at least in the appearance of the packaging ) to the posted picture. The enclosed screws were only a standard length and could be a problem being too short for many ( including mine ) back boxes. I luckily had longer ones to hand. Seems to work OK as far as the switches and sockets are concerned, but the quality could be better - you get what you pay for and this is inexpensive compared to others.
on 4 July 2017
An awesome product for the person with no spare time on their hands. Converted a double socket into a four position socket in less than 5 minutes in a school staff room where I had to get in and out quick...! Just 3 wires into the back, screw it back on and Bob's your mother's brother.
on 20 April 2017
Excellent product - quite easy to fit. Electrician not necessarily required if you closely follow the instructions provided and have a screwdriver or two, a sharp knife, cutters or pliers. Each socket has its own switch too. No mess and no redecorating as long as you are careful.
on 14 July 2017
I really like this product. It's very easy to fit. I would recommend if you are fitting this to a single socket, then replace it with a double wall box. I felt with a single socket it was not as firm a hold as I would like, but it would still work. I fitted them to 4 double sockets & a fifth was going on the wall behind my TV to power it & all the equipment mounted on the wall beneath the TV & worked really well
on 5 July 2017
Not quite as described, its different to the others i have purchased in the past.But this does have surge protector. The most annoying thing about fitting this is the terminal screws are located underneath, where as common sense would be to keep them on top for easier fitting. The switches are also slimmer.