on 2 September 2016
Volume 2 of the Pellinor trilogy.

Written with considerable skill, but without a huge amount of action. Yet I went back to it and then bought books 3 and 4.

The author is obviously a Tolkien fan. But she has bags of original stuff of her own. I liked this a lot.
on 11 January 2013
This was brilliant you get to care what happens and can't wait to find out what is going on. The characters are full and the way the book is written you can picture the landscape.
I have the full series and love them if you like fantasy with a good well written storyline then the Pellinor series will not dissapoint.Adventure, magick, surprises and characters that feel real make this series special
on 13 March 2017
The suspense is amazing. The intricate and cleverly wound adventure and mysteries surrounding Maerad's journey is one that I would recommend everyone to be a part of.
This series is a masterpiece!
on 17 November 2009
I bought this for my eleven year old daughter and she absolutely loved it - it was read in two days flat (and half of one night, I think, judging by the bleary-eyedness and her lamp's still being on first thing one morning!) My daughter's a discerning and mature reader for her age and her praise is high indeed. Avid readers of Fantasy up to mid teens and perhaps beyond will love this book and it is entirely suitable for the age-group.
on 13 March 2018
Condition not as good as expected
on 7 February 2014
my review is that similar to 'The Gift: first book of pellinor'
with the exceptions of misprinting and the story kind of drags when it repeats it self in places
other then that - its a brilliant book i still stand that its brilliant starter for those who NOT attempted to read the tolkiens books for obvious reasons.
on 13 December 2008
From the first chapter I was hooked, I had to go and buy the remaining three books in the series, this is an amazing & unique story, it will engross you with hours of enyoyment...
So many others have given detailed analyis of this book,I'd be repeating what they have written, needless to say Alison Croggan has excelled & created an entirely new world with enduringly loveable characters. A book you'll want to keep & add to.
on 21 April 2016
Most of all I believed in the character's and the story line was well paced and fascinating complex. It would make great film if done properly.
on 30 March 2016
Exciting and fast paced I couldn't put it down, an excellent fantasy book nearly as good as Feist!!! Read it you won't be disappointed.
on 16 May 2016
Fantastic series of books, my teenage girls read them twice, and I am reading them again with my 9 year old. Fans of Philip Pullman's Dark Materials and fantasy such as Game of thrones, and Tolkien books will love these, with various layers of meaning and understanding, the books appeal to young and old. Beautifully written too.