VINE VOICEon 8 March 2012
This has to be one of the most sincere singers I have heard for many years!

I don't give much time to new singers these days - much less talent shows and reality tv and so I had never heard of Matt Cardle. I caught him at the end of 'Loose Women' one afternoon (which I don't normally watch) as I waited for 'Judge Judy' - performing one of his songs, and I thought what an exciting and sincere singer this is! I then went straight on to Amazon feeling I'd like to hear more of this guy's original work, as I don't like covers, and played the samples from this album - and at the ridiculously low price of four pounds, just had to have it!

Normally in recent years after purchasing new CDs, I tend to listen once - maybe twice and put it aside, unlike years ago when a new album was played to death. However; this has definitely been different, as it's never been out of my player and/or in my CD rack! It's simply a masterpiece! Every song seems to belong on the album - and the order was perfect - except somehow 'Slowly' - the penultimate track seemed like the last one - then came another - the final one which was odd for some reason.

I admire singer/songwriters, and all of the songs are atmospheric, and have great lyrics. Some end quite abruptly - which is different. My favourite song of all (if I was forced to pick one - which is pretty tricky as all the songs are so good) would have to be: 'Pull Me Under'.

I was flabbergasted to find that this album peaked only at number two (should have been a chart-topper) and his singles do not seem to have done too well chart-wise either - people cannot know great music when they hear it...

What an exciting new singer - will definitely be buying his next album on the strength of this!
4 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 12 November 2011
I loved Matt when he was on X Factor and was a worthy winner, but I have to admit I nearly didn't buy this album because of some negative reviews. That said I bought it and absolutely love it! Yes, it is a tad over produced(to be expected)which takes the rawness off his voice, however, "All For Nothing" is much more the real Matt, and similar in style to the music he made with Seven Summers. "Starlight" is my favourite track, and "Pull Me Under" is in the style of Robbie Williams/Take That. I suspect that Matt will move away from the mainstream and develop his own style as time goes by, X Factor having given him the platform that he needed.
5 people found this helpful
on 30 December 2013
I bought this album about 3 months ago and have only just played it It was worth the wait! I can not imagine what the BBC reviewer was listening to ,to produce the review given I would urge anyone thinking of buying this album to ignore that review entirely and DO take notice of the first Amazon punter review Personally I agree with every word they have written Don't buy the regular album,because as good as it is,it is Disc 2 in the Deluxe version that is truly stunning- 5 acoustic versions which will make your spine tingle!
on 15 May 2012
Put aside any pre conceived ideas about X Factor winners and give this album a serious listen, you wont regret it!! I already purchased a download version of this album five months before I purchased the de luxe version and I havent stopped playing it yet. It is true to say that the album is something of a slow burner but once it gets under your skin (and I assure you it will) it becomes compulsive listening. There are at least half a dozen potentially classic songs on the album (NOT ANY OF THE SINGLE RELEASES) but tracks such as Slowly, All for Nothing, Reflections and Walking on Water are just sublime.

For the first few listens I did feel that some of the tracks felt a little bit samey, but then I felt that also when I first listened to Coldplays Parachutes album over 10 years ago and that is still my favourite album of all time. Matts voice is absolutely stunning and despite most of the reviews I have read, I think the production on the album is faultless.

I would recommend the album to any who are into the singer songwriter genre who enjoy honest sincere songs written from the heart.

Well done Matt, I cant wait for the second album and I hope that all those who would enjoy this one, discover it
on 6 June 2014
This is a really good cd and I like matt's voice and really pleased to find this one from this seller and would order more from them as I really like to listening to music in the car and I as I don't have a cassette player in the car now iam trying to get more cds. I would recommend this seller for anyone who is looking for cds as it arrived very quickly and was well packed. Thank you
on 25 November 2011
As a first album this is pretty good. Has a bit of a James Morrison/Coldplay feel to it. Easy to listen to, and the guy can sing. Not only that he can write and play an instrument too.
You can tell he's probably had quite a bit of input on the album, as it's not the usual manufactured pop stuff that normally comes from X-factor contestants, and also there's no covers other than the xfactor winners single.
I'd definately recommend.
on 14 November 2011
THIS ALBUM IS SUCH A DELIGHT TO LISTEN TO. MATT COMES UP AS A TRUE ARTIST AND THIS IS ONLY THE BEGINNING OF WHAT - FINGERS CROSSED - WILL BE A LONG CAREER. HIS VOICE IS JUST AMAZING THE LYRICS ARE DEEP AND MEANINGFULL AND MUSICALLY THE WHOLE ALBUM IS REALLY WELL PRODUCED.MY FAVOURITE TRACKS ARE: BEAT OF A BREAKING HEART ( SO REMINISCENT OF HIS BEST VOCAL PERFORMANCES ON THE X FACTOR), STARLIGHT (THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE FIRST SINGLE), WALKING ON WATER, AMAZING, STARS AND LOVERS AND LETTERS. THE ONLY DOWNSIDE OF THIS ALBUM IS THE WEAK GARY BARLOW PENNED FIRST SINGLE RUN FOR YOUR LIFE WHICH DOES NOT REALLY FLOW WITH THE REST OF THE ALBUM. ALL IN ALL I AM SO GLAD THAT MATT IS PART OF THE BRITISH MUSIC SCENE AND THIS FIRST SOLO ALBUM IS THE PROOF THAT HIS TALENT IS WELL BEYOND A TALENT SHOW. WELL DONE MATT!
on 20 December 2011
A truly stunning album. Every song is good and the ones he wrote himself are fabulous. RFYL is nice but ironically one of the weaker songs. It is more mellow and sophisticated than Seven Summers but just as good. Cardle's vocals soar. Very heartfelt and tender in lots of places. A brilliant debut and just the start - this guy will go from strength to strength. He started singing at 11 and playing guitar at 14. He is 28 now and has slogged around pubs and clubs trying to make it. Great that all that hard work finally paid off. Listen a few times and these songs will get in to your head and under your skin, they are amazing.
on 7 November 2011
after seeing Matt win x factor, I wanted to see if he would produce some decent songs of his own. many months later and letters was released. I bought it and gave it a listen and I am mostly impressed. was not as impressed with run for your life but the other tracks like starlight, reflections, walking on water, slowly and the album song Letters impressed me greatly. these were the more edgier songs but also some just showed how vocally talented Matt is. sadly I gave this 4 stars for the fact you could say some of these songs sound bit familiar and could have been shaken up a bit. but for a debut album I would definitely say it is worth the buy, all the songs sound good and Matt's vocal really brings them to life, only problem is the sounding a bit familiar on some songs, but overlooked simply by this mans talent.
on 17 November 2011
I was a fan of Matt's from his first audition on the X-factor and voted for him every week and was really pleased when he won. I pre-ordered Letters (deluxe version) from Amazon and eagerly awaited it's arrival. This album is superb. I've not stopped listening to it and if I was to pick a favourite track it would be All For Nothing (but all tacks are fab). Even my kid's who are heavily into rock music like it. My hubby likes it and we never agree in anything. If you don't already have a copy go out and buy it and enjoy.