on 27 March 2012
I have only just got into the American R&B genre and IMO J L Hooker was a must have, and after listening to this compilation i was not disappointed. His Vocals and accompanying guitar style is just sublime, its not hard to see why so many other artists were influenced by him. This compilation is a must have if you are a American R&B fan.
on 19 February 2013
I've sometimes thought that John Lee Hooker's "interpretation" of the blues might be an acquired taste. Before you judge me too harshly, I will explain: I've heard people say he growls rather than sings and his stuttering guitar style is not everyone's cup of tea, apparently. This compilation is not quite definitive but does a good job of collecting some of JLK's best tracks from the 1950s and '60s. The sound quality is excellent too, which is not necessarily a good thing. I somehow quite like the crackle and hiss of my original vinyl records and find the sound a bit warmer. Many tracks here are with full band, including drummers Tom Whitehead and Earl Phillips, guitarists Eddie Taylor and Lefty Bates and legendary harmonica player/friend Jimmy Reed amongst others. All are sublime, whether accompanied by bass and drums or alone with a bottletop tied to his foot, tapping away to keep the rhythm. However, for those who first heard Hooker with Santana, Van Morrison et all, they will have to look elsewhere, perhaps "Best of Friends". But this is how it all started: the story of one of the greatest bluesmen of them all. An acquired taste maybe, but I love it and always have!
on 11 September 2015
A good value album but Boom Boom still remains my fave JLH if you are a fan worth adding to your collection ,bought a few of these "definitive" cds now and they tend to fall a bit short of the title a few classic tracks and a lot of fillers.
on 17 May 2014
A very good collection. The Hook produced so much work and producers reissued so much of it so many times that it is difficult to know what to buy. This collection has most of the tracks anyone would want and maybe a couple that could have been dispensed with. But listen to this album and you will hear some of the best blues ever and an undeniable godfather of Rock n Roll
John Lee Hooker {1912-2001} ~ and what a great name he had to start with ~ is one of the most distinctive voices of the Blues. As moodily visceral as Muddy, almost as powerful as the Wolf, he could also sound delicate and gracious.
This is a fine compilation of twenty-four grooves from across the man's career, including Dimples, Boom Boom, This Is Hip, I'm In The Mood,
Crawling Kingsnake, I'm Mad Again, Boogie Chillun, and the more recent Don't Look Back, where he sounds tender and wise.
There's a nice foldout inner sleeve, some good pics, with basic notes on the songs.
A superb, solid introduction to one of the classic blues singer-guitarists.

This is hip, pretty baby
This is hip, pretty baby
I messed around and fell in love
on 16 October 2013
Realy great to travel with, always loved his relaxed voice and with a happy traveling beat for anytime of day.
on 11 February 2013
I can't fault this. The tracks are well chosen and while there are great songs not included here, the music is fantastic. At five quid you cannot complain because this is a great listen and I have no doubt that anyone buying this will certainly enjoy it hugely, as I did.
on 7 May 2013
I can't claim to be very knowledgable about John Lee Hooker or any other blues artist, but I have really liked what hooked tunes I have heard in the past. This album really seemed to offer a wide range of hookers work and is just what I needed to while away those Sunday afternoon
on 23 November 2011
Like the blues, like Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac? Then you'll like this. Value for money as well, it only costs a few pounds and has plenty of tracks.
on 6 October 2013
Great album, has a good range of songs. Strongly recommend this product to anyone. Listened to its loads of times already.