Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 6 April 2017
Good film :)
on 28 February 2017
Good film, it does takes its time to get into story was expecting more horror/paranormal to it. but or worked the story out. It's definitely one to watch but don't expect frights etc. still happy I purchased it. I don't want to be a spoiler an tell the film as I know I read reviews then pissed watching films as I know what's gonna happen. maybe if I don't read a would given higher score
on 2 May 2017
This film is quite scary but Kevin Costner always give a great performance and the tension builds slowly. Unlike a previous reviewer I did not think the ending was predictable infact it was rather freaky. I watched it alone but if you're easily scared then watch it with someone .
on 11 June 2011
A lot of reviewers here and elsewhere are having a go at Costner for this movie and I wonder what film have they been watching. Yes, this film is NOT like most of the present day horror movies which rely on graphic violence, sexy characters who all appear to lack common sense, predictable and weak storylines, and tons of special effects, yet is better for it as it relys on a deliberate pace which requires the audience to pay attention, suspense, an ever increasing sense of dread for the inevitability of the outcome, and good performances from the cast especially the two kids and Costner as the father.

The film deliberately eschews modern styles such as the bleached out look, over loud music that telegraphs how we must react, and fast cutting. It embraces a 70's style approach and the earlier slow pace is absolutely right for this film and in no way should put off the viewer as it all pays off in the second half.

Give this film a chance - you might be surprised.

The blu-ray disc replicates the rich colour palette and the warm tones of South Carolina accurately and I recommend the viewer to listen to the uncompressed pcm track which is better than the Dolby track. There is a an adequate commentary by the director, deleted scenes as well as a standard behind-the scenes feature.
on 8 October 2013
This is perhaps the worse Costner film except for that "Water World" thing. The movie starts out great. It has a 4 to 5 star beginning. The setting is a fictional town called Mercy, South Carolina.

PLOT SPOILER: It is based on Bishopville, home of the infamous Lizard Man. After Costner gets the boot from his wife, he moves into a fine southern plantation home with his teenage daughter and normal son. The daughter becomes obsessed with an old Indian burial mound in their back yard (funny that the state hasn't declared it an archaeological treasure and put a fence around it). The house has a strange "history," but only the black people in town seem to know it. Louisa, played by Ivana Baquero, does an excellent job as the moody teen girl. It reminded me of the teen girl in "Uncle Buck". You just want to smack her.

The plot is predictable.
VINE VOICEon 26 October 2011
Following a tragedy/problem a family moves to a new house to start again. However shortly after they move in strange things begin happening. If this sounds like a movie you saw a hundred times then nothing in the following 90 or so minutes will convince you otherwise. It's never fair to judge a horror on plot - but even on atmosphere everything is strictly routine with no real scares whatsoever. The family drama aspect - older single dad deals with sulky teenage daughter is reasonably handled but ultimately doesn't deliver on it's promise of adding emotional depth to this standard issue horror. Overall the acting and directing are generally solid but completely uninspired and anyone hoping for a reminder of why Rec [DVD] was so good won't find it here.
I'm really not sure about this film and - to be perfectly honest - I don't know why.
After all I bought it and nobody twisted my arm.
It was delivered very speedily by the postman (the irony not being lost on me but he didn't look a bit like Kevin Costner at all, so I was a bit disappointed on that score but that's the Post Office’s fault for not seizing the opportunity).
I've always liked Kevin Costner films as a rule.
Open Range was good and so was that other one with Gene Hackman in it.
I think he's a politician or something but it might have been Clint Eastwood. It's a while since I saw it after all, and there's been a lot of water under the bridge - if by 'water' you read 'ale' and by 'bridge' you read 'drunk'.
It doesn't quite work out literally because, if you do that, then the phrase becomes 'a lot of ale under the drunk' which makes no sense at all really.
Anyway - oh yes that Clint Eastwood one was Absolute Power, which was alright I suppose. Gene Hackman plays a politician who murders a prostitute and Clint Eastwood knows about it, whereas I was thinking of No Way Out, where Gene Hackman plays a politician who murders a prostitute and Kevin Costner knows about it, so you can see how easy it was to get mixed up and I certainly know my stuff I can tell you.
However every time I try to watch this I end up not watching it, so I don't know if it's good or not. I can only give it the benefit of the doubt that it's probably good as Costner is usually good. I like the ones where he shoots people and the other ones where he plays sport.
I liked that one where he plays baseball for the Chicago Bulls. In fact there was another with submarines or something, and that one where he plays baseball, then there's that one where he played baseball as well but it wasn't a sequel or anything because he's actually a ghost or something in that.
Then there’s that one where he was a Red Indian, and I really liked the one where he played a fish.
He always puts in a good turn – like the one where he plays a golfer or that one where he was an Elvis Presley impersonator.
So what is it about this particular film that doesn’t grip me even though I haven’t watched?
The cover looks good as he’s got a shotgun, like he’s going to shoot people just like he did in that cowboy film, and the plot sounds good too.
He plays this bloke who moves to some place and his daughter is haunted by a pile of compost in the back garden, and it looks like he either has to call in an exorcist or shoot her with the aforementioned shotgun so what’s not to like?
Actually hold on – I think I have seen it after all.
It might have been one of those nights when we all were at the pub so it might have been on in the background. After all if me and Matt were talking, or indeed if Alison was moaning about Nobby stripping off again, then it may have been on but I probably wasn’t paying much attention.
I might have been thinking about 3 Days to Kill as I’ve bought that too, but definitely haven’t watched it yet as I’d remember a thing like that.
There was an advert for it on normal telly a bit ago so I think I just got the two films mixed up, which appears to be very easily done with Kevin Costner films as I proved earlier on.
VINE VOICEon 17 May 2010
This film is the latest Hollywood outing for Luis Bedejo, the Spanish director of 'Rec' and 'Imago Mortis'. I haven't seen the former but I have reviewed the latter on this site. There is no doubting he is a good director and has a keen eye for framing a shot and setting a scene. He is becoming a master at building suspense and this film is an object lesson in that but viewers with a short attention span may have trouble sticking with this one. Kevin Costner stars as John James; a recently divorced writer, who takes his 14 year old daughter Louisa and 7 year old son Sam to live in a large mansion in the woods of South Carolina to lick their wounds. They discover what appears to be a burial mound in the woods and Louisa is fascinated with it from the start whilst Sam is instantly repelled by it. As the film develops Louisa is obviously changing but a lot of the signs can be mistaken for a teenager hurt by her family's break up. Sinister events happen and Costner is on the trail of the house's mysterious past whilst his present is falling apart at home. I can't say much more without spoiling it for you but lets just say if you're a fan of M Night Shyamalan then you will probably enjoy this too watch carefully for a little twist in the final scene. Kevin Costner does a reasonable job of his role but top marks go to Ivana Baquero as Louisa, the 'new daughter'. You may remember this enigmatic 16 year old from 'Pan's Labyrinth' and she is definitely one to watch for the future. The film is presented in widescreen letterbox format and has a good well defined soundtrack. Listen out for when Costner is walking in the woods at night and the twig snaps behind you. Extras included a 10 minute making of and 20 deleted scenes.
on 4 December 2014
I've seen a lot of rubbish horror films, but this was a real rare gem. Seems to have got a bashing from a lot of critics but I really enjoyed it. The tension built up steadily throughout and it really gave me chills in places. Also the plot was refreshingly different and original to a lot of the derivative stuff out there. Give it a chance, you might really enjoy it.
on 18 September 2014
I recommend those films mentioned in the title and this too. A creepy supernatural thriller. The cast are great. The daughter was in Pan's Labyrinth and the Carrie remake. Costner was awsome as Jonathan Kent in Man Of Steel. The young boy is good. The family have just moved to this new home. The place has some secrets. The daughter is showing signs of erratic behaviour. There is an unknown enemy lurking in the darkness. The director co wrote REC and Quarantine. Younger folk should look up Waterworld, Dances With Wolves, The Bodyguard, Field Of Dreams. New film just released is Three Days To Kill.