Customer reviews

on 5 February 2009
Since No Rest For The Wicked the Woede brothers, Rydstrom and Cadeon, have been a part of the Immortals After Dark novels. It gradually attached the reader to their quest of regaining the Kingdom lost to them as Omort now reigned at Tornin court. Though each book can be read separately I think for an increasing reading pleasure you should read this series in order. Also, Rydstrom and Cadeon's stories are almost occurring simultaneously so I advise to read Dark Desires After Dusk before Kiss Of A Demon King.

How I have loved each entry in the Immortals After Dark series, some a bit more than the other but always a wild ride and in this Kiss Of A Demon King is no different. This tale does not contain your typical heroine and Sabine - Queen Of Illusion - is an acquired taste in characteristics, I think you'll either connect with her or you don't and I was thrilled to get to know her. She just hasn't got lily white thoughts or feelings, has a save the world from all evil complex or has a Florence Nightingale syndrome. Sabine has an acerbic nature and is both in looks and character trades a truly remarkable woman. She and I had to get acquainted and the more I got to know her, the more I liked her, because being bad isn't always about doing the wrong thing. If there is one thing that does not apply to Sabine is being meek and mediocre. This is one of the elements that elevate this series so, the intriguing and fresh characterization that allows them to come alive with their own personality trademarks and looks. This makes them stand out in the crowd of so many who inhabit the world of the average paranormal reader. There are no cardboard characters in this series, it brims with almost larger than life Lykae, Vampires, Valkyrie and many more making it such a pleasure to venture back in to this world.

Rydstrom was one who had to grow on me in the series but in his own story I quickly succumbed to his charm. Outwardly he is so almost stoic, rational and reasonable but his fierce nature is barely controlled by a veneer of control, he is a Rage Demon after all. Together Sabine and Rydstrom gave a steaming picture of abandon lust simmering between them, it becomes maddening to read as the story progresses but oh my, they deliver some spectacular verbal and physical firework. There were times my frustrated inner voice screamed at those two to "get over" the trust and control issues and get it on already. Kresley Cole antagonizes the reader over and over with sultry foreplay between the main characters and in answer it raised my body temperature at a steady pace. Insert a bit of rough love to it and the sensuality sky rocketed between this love couple.

If you think Kiss Of A Demon King is all about the lust, well ok, it is a key element between Sabine and Rydstrom but this tale contains so much more than that. There is also the fact of Rydstrom's singular desire which has been about getting back his Kingdom from a fiend enemy who seems undefeatable. Tied to this are many factions with many characters we've come to treasure while reading this series. So many are plotting their own plans, loyalty is gained and betrayed, as all have a place and function within The Lore. While some races/characters are just mentioned I love the descriptive details which adds depth to this world. Like how Sabine is portrayed, with bright, colorful headdresses, gold chokers, leather strips and chain metal materials in clothing and unusual make up. She is one of the Sorceri and with these kind of details I can see her so clearly in the mind's eye. It draws me completely in the setting Cole provides and makes me savor the pages as I read along.

I feel this novel has been very character driven and though much is going on it was very centered around Rydstrom and Sabine. The mischievous nature of Sabine kept me on edge and empathetic to Rydstrom's trust issues. Sabine loves a good juicy plot as much as a good surprise and I relished in the fact how Rydstrom surprised her at times. The power play between them is taunting, it is provoking, it is titillating and sensual, both good and laced with a bit of evil and they both gave as good as they got. At a few times I edged the feeling a scene became a bit repetitive but then Sabine would make a comment and had me all in giggles and laughter again.

Secondary characters were aplenty and some immediately struck home with me. Lanthe, Sabine's sister, was one of them and together they became a one-two punch that whetted my appetite for a future story of Lanthe. Also Puck, the orphaned demon child enamored me in his interactions with Sabine. I have got no clue what to think of Lothaire but I don't think we have seen the last of him and he has me intrigued in his motives. Cadeon is of course a part of his brother's story and one of the series favorites Nïx once again displayed her soothsayer wisdom with flair and humor.

The plot and minor sub plots have kept me alert and focused where everything was heading, nevertheless it plays second violin this time. I always think I have a sense where Kresley Cole is taking me and yet she manages to surprise me in the end and like Sabine, I love a good surprise! Omort has his puppets dancing around his every whim and has the very thing Rydstrom covets above anything else...or at least, what he thinks he covets above anything else. Omort seems to be the epitome of all evil in this novel and he plays his part so very well. Just to have him enter the scene turned me on edge, wondering what his next step would be. The good versus evil element is showcased with every shade in between that holds its own significance and it fits in this story perfectly. What was lost somewhat along the way was the "ultimate battle" to regain Rydstrom his Kingdom but going towards the end other things occur that created pulls pounding moments!

Kiss Of A Demon King is imbedded with all we came to treasure from Kresley Cole as an author. Everyone will have their favorites among this series as have I but Sabine and Rydstrom have once again been a wild ride. I will count the days until the next Immortal After Dark tale is told!

Courtesy of Realms On Our Bookshelves
22 Comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 March 2016
It's official I have a thing for Rage Demons. I didn't think it was possible to get better than Cadeon but Rydstrom just knocked him off the immortals hottest males podium!

I didn't think it possible to grow to like Sabine but I was well and truely proved wrong. I loved her 'this is me' 'take me as I am as I'm not changing for no man attitude. You can see what made her the way she was and understand. She and her sister had been through so much and I loved their bond. I hope we see more from Lanthe in future books.

This was by far the hottest of the Immortals series. I thought Cadeon and Holly had chemistry but Rydstrom and Sabine were sizzling. I couldn't get enough of them arguing like hell then making out like their life depended on it.

Top marks! Not sure if the next can top this! 5/5 must read!!!!
on 11 September 2009
I could not wait until this book arrived hoping it was as good as the others in the series and I was not dissapointed.
I started by reading the other books by Kresley Cole which did not involve vampires etc....
Her writing is so good that I forced myself to buy the others in this series thinking that at least I would enjoy her style.(was not a paranormal romance fan)
However, the characters are great with all their individual quirks as well as the way in which the different character types of the Lore have linked in previous books.
This book I think is her best of the series yet and keeps you in a state of excitement to see what will happen at the turn of the page.
Loved it so much I am just going to read it again.
I cannot wait till the next book arrives and have that on preorder.
Definately a keeper.
on 23 August 2014
I'm a big fan of the IAD series and this is another fun addition to the IAD world. I've re-read it a few times and have very much enjoyed it. Best to read the series in order in order to really appreciate it - especially considering 'Dark Desires After Dusk' directly complements this story (telling the story of Rydstrom's brother and the quest which is continually mentioned in this book - and indeed, integral to the story). Lots of steamy scenes, so probably best to read it alone...
on 7 July 2010
Two words LOVED IT! This book was the first Kresley cole book i happened upon by chance in the library. i didnt evan know the author than and now i'v basicaly every one of her Immortals after dark series books, which i have to say knocks Sherilyn Kenyon right out the water.
Like most of her books this inocent little book is about as hot as they come and this book is especialy kinky little treat that i MUST recomend reading while alone. The charecters to me were especialy unique from the kingly,ever calm Rydstrom and his delicously secret desires to the bad girl and super sexy Sabine that even the bravest wouldnt wouldnt mess with.
If your the type of women that loves a frisky romance, than i can utterly recomend you read this.
Its only drawback is that it ends before you evan know it.
on 14 October 2013
I really can't give any of Kresley's book less then a 5 star. She is a fantastic author. The story is always witty and funny.
on 16 September 2014
I actually had already read this book previously because of mentions from readers. But I didn't remember it and bought it again to read. I didn't give much attention to the book previously and so ended up forgetting it. But when you actually pay attention to the story, you will find yourself naturally into it. The story was really good and I still remember the story now even after several months. The book is a really good read.
on 6 May 2009
I loved Immortals after dark series. This is the best in my view. And has the least embarassing cover (the first 3 are very heavy metal kitch, this one is OK). An amazing read. Cole's universe is full of suspense, real characters and the fun loving amazing Valkyries! I LOVED it!!
on 24 July 2014
Rydstrom will rock your world! WOW. Loved it, am busily collecting the others in the series, literraly don't want to put them down and they are usually read in concentration in two or three days.Hot guys, hot story and wonderful characterisation! Well done.
on 19 February 2010
Wow, Kresley Cole sure know how to make her readers come back for more as this book is worthy of my time(hours of reading). I truly believe the book is perfect how it is I would not change anything about the storyline. One word for this book; GREAT!