on 15 April 2010
Having spent all that time and effort to get invited to an interview why is it that so many otherwise good candidates perform so poorly in this critical face to face meeting? In my experience as a recruiter, many will do a good job researching the company and the job they are applying for, but very few appear to have prepared thoroughly to present themselves as the ideal candidate for that position they know so much about! Answering competency based questions is not a black art and can be easily prepared for. This book is a must read for everyone who is serious about landing their dream job - but particularly for those individuals with little recent interview experience or who repond poorly to questioning in a stressful situation.
on 18 January 2016
This book was not at all what I expected. There were more descriptions about the types of interview that may be conducted rather than example interview questions or useful interview advice which was what I was expecting. It was very vague, and was mostly common sense..
I needed more example questions - worded in different ways to mentally prepare myself for the types of questions the interviewer may ask.
I felt utterly unprepared for an interview and feel I wasted my time reading this book instead of testing myself for different eventualities in interview type questions. I would have been better off watching youtube for interview advice or googeling interview questions examples.
After reading this book, I had perhaps the worst interview experience ever. A few years ago, I borrowed an excellent book from the library which was far a better, more structured version of what I expected this book to be. Bursting with questions to test yourself on the many different interview type questions you might get thrown at you. And more constructive advice on how to conduct yourself in an interview from start to finish. I will have to go into the library and find out what it was for my next interview.
I am still waiting to hear back from the job but unfortunately, I would be absolutely amazed if I get it. I felt so underprepared.
on 17 April 2012
This book does what it says. It gives good pointers on the type of questions and how to answer them with both good and bad examples. I bought this book as I had an interview for a job I really wanted but was very nervous. This helped me personally and I got the job. I would recommend if you are the type of person who finds interviews nerve racking as it helped to calm me when I realised that I did know what I needed but just needed help in how to put that across.
on 7 April 2010
Any help you can get in finding a job is always welcome and this book certainly provides a whole heap of advice.
The great thing about this book is that it is written by people who in their day jobs design selection processes for businesses- a case of poacher turned gamekeeper perhaps? Here they use their expertise and experience to show people looking for a job how they can present themselves in the best light possible. An excellent book!
on 16 January 2016
I can't really recall much about the book because I book it years ago... But it definitely helped found the job of my dreams in a country I nearly knew at the time, So I can't thank enough the writer as I became with online help as well very good at interviews!!!!
on 15 May 2012
Teaches you a great method for structuring your interview question responses at 3 different levels (Graduate, Middle Management, and Senior Management)! Also includes various other interview related advice.
on 15 December 2012
I ordered this book and read it the night before my interview. If you have been chosen to attend a competency based intervew then this is a must. Needless to say I got the job and this book has all the answers, the few pound I spent could have got me a top salary for the rest of my working days, a big thanks to the author.
on 22 January 2013
I purchased this book in preparation for my first competency-based interview. It gave me some invaluable insight into what competency-based interviews are all about, what interviewers are looking for and how answers should be structured. However, I felt it fell short in terms of the questions/answers section, as not enough core competencies are covered.
on 26 July 2010
This is a really excellent book, with good general tips, including answer structuring tips, presentation tips and a general good interview practice guide!

Very helpful!
on 18 April 2013
If you only buy 1 competency based question book buy this. Its easy to understand and apply. I ended up having 9 interviews for my new role and this book gave me the confidence to reply with specific and exact responses every time giving me the confidence going into the next interview. Cannot recommend highly enough!