on 7 November 2011
I originally bought this product for my nephew who is 9 years old and a big Wallace & Gromit fan. This product has kept him busy all weekend and he has integrated an amazing array of his lego models into the animations! I then bought one for my nieces, who absolutely love it. They create and share YouTube videos with each other and can show their grandparents. The only trouble has been wrestling it off their parents who have loved it just as much. A present to be truly enjoyed by all and a great way for the family to be occupied over Christmas.
on 16 December 2011
We bought this for our kids (9 & 11) who were forever asking us to help them setup the webcam to make spoof adverts and send-ups of popular kids TV. They quickly got the hang of using the editing software and now we can let them get on with it. The best part is that they can put soundtracks over the top of their animations and then upload to youtube for their friends to see. A shame the modeling clay ran out, but they've used all kinds of other characters since.
on 3 November 2013
I debated long and hard whether to buy this pack with the camera, or just settle for the much cheaper book and software bundle option, and then use an old webcam. I decided on this box primarily for the solid camera stand and adjustable focus but I now regret that decision.
First off the software isn't fully compatible with Vista. No great problem since I needed to upgrade the laptop to Windows 7 anyway, which I did.
The bundled camera was detected by the operating system and drivers installed automatically. It works with Skype and other camera software, but the included animation software won't recognise it! I've tried everything to get the two to talk to each other and have now given up. My old webcam worked immediately and my daughter is now happily making great animated films, but we could have done this at far less cost.
The camera focussing adjuster is also difficult to grasp due to the cowling, and very stiff to operate. My daughter couldn't turn it at all on her own.
As a final issue, the included plasticine was dried out and barely usable.
Overall a disappointing birthday gift for which I will seek a refund.
on 11 November 2011
I must say I am impressed. Impressed enough to bother writing something anyway. I'm impressed with the impact this has had on my kids. I bought this on recommendation, but I have to admit I expected it to end up as another dejected item of junk in the kids bedroom. It is early days, but so far I have been completely wrong. The kids (boy 8 and girl13) haven't stopped since it arrived 4 days ago. They are completely absorbed making their short and hilarious little cartoons. Apart from the peace and quiet brought on by their absorption and remarkable collaboration, the genius of this kit is that it is a contemporary multimedia way for kids to be creative and learn about the technology that surrounds them - a great antidote to playstation, etc., and for me a bit of an eye opener as to the creative intelligence of my kids. The kids are going to run a cinema on Saturday! I will bring a projector home from work.

In terms of the stuff in the box, it is all that it claims to be to do the job, and seems to be easy to use - the kids picked it up after about half an hour of me installing the software on the mac and fiddling about a bit, and they have more patience than me for the stop-frame process, so that is just as well! The plasticine is just what is required to start off, but the kids soon started using other stuff - a teddy, and boxes for houses and background. I am sure we'll get more plasticine and my girl wants to set up some theatre like curtains.

OK, I am rambling now, but very, very good educational product for kids, and I suspect many adults too.
on 14 January 2014
Agree with all other reviewers apart from one disappointed customer. Great starter kit for novices to start learning about animation. It certainly keeps my 11 year old away from the xbox and gives him a creative hobby - already posted a number of animation videos on you tube and they are getting better with each attempt.All this for the cost of an xbox game!
Also 5 stars for The Animation Company - had a problem with the camera, one email and new one sent out same day and received the next -if only all companies could be so efficient and have such good customer service. Would definitely buy from them again and also recommend them to others.
on 6 January 2013
My 11 and 13 year old kids got started on this straight away, got it going without any help and were not seen or heard again all afternoon. The finished clip featured squeaky voices and other noises, which matched the action of the playdo figures and all sorts of other toys. Very silly and great fun!