Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 16 November 2011
Empros sees Russian Circles move further away from their industrially metallic beginnings towards the wordless anthemic territory more obviously inhabited by 'This Will Destroy You' and to some extent, 'Explosions in the Sky'. I even found the last track on Empros - the contemplative and anti-climactic 'Praise Be Man' - somewhat redolent of Sigur Ros (I kid you not!) Although I like a metal riff as much as the next man, the progression on Empros seems one of genuine maturation on the part of the band and not a bad thing at all. This is a very BIG record indeed. Every home should have one (Although, sadly, I doubt it will)
on 26 March 2013
I liked Station and Geneva but Empros is just on another level. An absolutely stunning lp from beginning to end, each song pushing the right buttons and feeding it's individual personality into the whole. A lot of instrumental rock/metal lumbers into pretentious territory, offering technical brilliance but losing any sense of song craft or sharpness. Russian Circles have technical prowess in spades - a bass that relies heavily on fuzz, forming the dark underbelly of all that goes on. The drums attack with energy and offer serious rhythmic punch. The guitars coil round the songs, dipping into atmospheric feedback when required. Above all the 3 instruments gel perfectly, creating something more than the sum of their parts. The songs also have a sense of purpose, always pushing forward, always keeping your attention. There's a sense that every moment has been carefully thought out - but the spontaneous burst of the instruments prevents it from ever sounding staid. I may be gushing a little here but this is honestly the best example of instrumental rock/metal I've ever heard. It's a special lp which has already made it into my top 100 albums of all time. Buy Empros? Yes.
on 17 January 2014
5 stars cos they're ace. Not much help if you want a review per se, but then again I'm not some poncy music/art/english student and besides, music is subjective. I like Godspeed You, Black Emperor!, Red Sparowes, Saxon Shore, Ufomammut, Earthless & Barn Owl if you're looking for comparisons.

With respect to provider, Marvelio-uk, they're not from the UK but USA so delivery was longer than initially expected when placing order. However, when I received confirmatiom e-mail and estimated delivery dates, items arrived ahead of schedule and, therefore, satisfaction with them is 100%

Happy listening (or sorry you wasted your money if you don't like it).
on 2 February 2012
well, I'm a Russian Circles fan,no doubt, but after many listenings I think I can say that this latest effort is not at the level of Geneva ,the musicianship is of high standard,but the songwriting this time is a little messy,they preferred the aggressive part of their sound rather than the melody, way too much in my humble opinion.
There's a still a couple fo great numbers but for the rest is quite boring and messy..directionless I might say
I am indeed quite disappointed
on 18 June 2015
If you dont own geneva buy that instead.