Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.31

on 16 October 2015
I very much enjoyed this Austen whatif, but I should say that I found too much resemblance with another Austen whatif from Abigail Reynolds (Mr Fitzwilliam Darcy: the last man in the world).
Of course, the characters remains the same, we know the final outcome, Elizabeth marries Darcy while he loves her but not the contrary, and there are several references to the normal plot of P&P, but there are so many other resemblances that I questioned myself about if we should not consider it too much like an improved copy of Mrs Reynolds' work (yes, improved because I really preferred this version).

Here are a few examples of this (but beware it will contain spoilers of both books)
Darcy wants to learn riding to Elizabeth, but as she is a bit frightened she request a small mare to do so. Then she is surprised he wants to learn her by himself and it surprises her (exactly the same situations)
Darcy orders to Elizabeth to be accompanied while she walk in the gardens and it makes her furious against him (same)
Elizabeth feels a little less unhappy about her life by distributing baskets of food to the tenants (same again)
At the end, Darcy finally believes Elizabeth's love because he heard her argument with Lady Catherine (in Reynolds' book it was with Wikham)
We end the story over Darcy and Elizabeth on a hill looking at Pemberley, Elizabeth being pregnant (same)
and so on...
But finally, as I said, I preferred this story because I recognized much more the characters invented by Austen. Darcy is less despotic, far more pleasant and Elizabeth is less weak, more frank, and continues teasing Darcy as usual.
Well this is not bad at all. It's a 'what if' story, the what if being that Darcy doesn't get to propose when Elizabeth is staying with Charlotte as when he goes to the parsonage she has just received a letter saying that her father is very ill. In her upset state, she lets Darcy know what she thinks of him. He decides to offer her a marriage of convenience, hoping that she will accept him for the sake of her family and fall in love with him after they are married. So it's pretty awkward going for them, as they really don't know each other well, and they misunderstand each other quite a bit. It's quite an entertaining story, although I felt that Elizabeth had more gumption than the Elizabeth in this novel and it's quite soppy towards the end.

One thing I really liked was that some of the major points of P&P such as Lady Catherine giving Elizabeth a piece of her mind were kept. It loses one star for the Americanisms, pretty much all the spelling is American English, 'plow', 'inquire', 'parlor' and there were some turns of phrase which I felt were out of place such as 'I guess' which doesn't read as naturally as 'I suppose' would for a British reader and the worst of them all, 'fall' which jars every one of the dozen or so times that I read it in the text.
on 21 June 2015
I enjoyed this pride and prejudice variation and it is a much stronger and enjoyable read than other p and p continuations. The only bug bear would be that the ending felt rushed and it seemed to take till the last couple of chapters for Elizabeth and Mr Darcy to reach an accord
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 March 2013
Mr Darcy finds out from Miss Elizabeth Bennett that her father is seriously unwell. Instead of giving his proposal, he takes her home, and eventually gives her a Marriage of Convenience proposal, which she considers and accepts. This book shows Elizabeth in a marriage without her love, but eventually falls for her, just when she loses his trust.

It is a tale of misunderstandings, and takes a long time for it to reach its eventual, and predictable, conclusion, and I found myself getting bored towards the end. Also, Mr Darcy's restraint after marrying goes to a ridiculous extent, and had he behaved as normally newly-married men do, a lot of the problems in this book would, I feel, have been avoided.

So read the preview, which is probably the best part of the book, and if you are interested in seeing how it resolves, go buy it. It's not brilliant, but it's not bad.
on 6 July 2014
This work is simply not all that readable and is painfully slow in being delivered. There are far too many common parlance Americanisms which in some instances would not have been known or encountered in regular English Society, Manners and Language Usage at a time when some Americans were considered somewhat Gauche by the English Upper Classes. Where Ms. Mason-Milks thanks her lady friends, her brother in Australia, and her husband early in her work for their assistance she might do best to enquire of both these men to tell her candidly and in straight talk how a newly married heterosexual man can withstand more than six months of no sex within the framework of his so-called marriage. The answers ought to be illuminating for this lady author and might well provide her with the plot of a rather racy novel that may well outstrip this lacklustre effort in sales fairly fast. She may well learn quite another literal meaning for the phrase she so often employs of her 'Elizabeth' becoming "The Mistress of Pemberley". With luck it may well pink up her cheeks quite a bit if both of these men can supply her with some reality and truth of what a heterosexual men then and now would do in such a situation especially one who has had to lay out money to provide for and support her mother and four sisters so early in the endeavour.
on 4 February 2013
A good book and a great story I could wait to read it when I returned home I would recommend this book
on 17 February 2013
This is a well written book with a twist - most enjoyable. I must look for more books by this author.
on 3 January 2012
I am so happy that I ordered this enchanting Kindle. The story was an absolute delight to read. In fact I have now been able to stop reading as I have finished it now and will go back to read it again more slowly to savour each word.
It is quite a long story, I am pleased to say with misunderstandings galore. Very well written with a wonderful Darcy and a very stubborn Elizabeth. I highly recommend this.