VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 September 2013
We are all weird? Well this book is a bit weird, but it is actually interesting. It is weird because it is obvious that the author has a strong message at the core of the book which is about how marketing has changed and that it is out of touch with us. But at the same time the reasoning for this notion and the way the author tries to explain it is actually more profound. The conclusion of the author in what we should do about it all seems less convincing than the reasoning or case for the notion.

To explain further the author is saying that the Bell Curve of marketing strategy that has been the plan of business for a long time has gone flat. The idea of Mass production and bulk selling has worked in the past because it relies on the way society creates the market through popular culture and fashion. It has worked because we are manipulated into wanting things and we have been taught that we must conform to what the author describes as a tribe. Or a group of people or to just do what everyone else does so that we do not miss out or look weird. Anybody in the past under that model of marketing that wanted something different to the rest of the tribe would be Weird.

The author suggests that things have changed because we now have more choice than ever before and we can choose without being so manipulated if we actually stop and think about it, The author is trying to remind us that we should think for ourselves. We can all choose even the things that mass marketing would have ignored in the past. That is to say that we all now can pick things that once were thought of as weird and therefore we are all weird.

Now I do not see that the "bell curve" has actually changed much, if at all. I think there is still the same marketing strategy as always. Society has not changed either and marketing depends on the manipulation of society. In fact there are benefits from it as well as the not so good elements.
But I do agree that society is all powerful and manipulative and that we are often told what we want or what we should do or buy. And I agree that we can all forget to think for ourselves. And therefore the examples of the manipulation that the author uses are good examples and they are interesting.

The author also has a better understanding of Individualism that many sociologists and psychologists would have us believe. Some of these so called distinguished professionals argue that there is no true individualism since we are all part of a collective. I don't agree. The author advocates that within a collective we can still be individuals by making our own choices. I agree with this. Further the author suggests that we have much to choose from and that we have choice and that, in itself, makes us individual if we choose something on our own terms.

The author also suggests that we have such a choice that marketing should be more diverse to cater for our diverse needs. He points to things as the internet as examples of the choice we have and therefore we are more likely individuals than ever before. I believe the author is right that we have more choice and we do have more choice to be individual and that is where the book is great. However the threat of the suppression of our individualism is greater than ever because of the choice that actually society puts there in order to manipulate us. And so although the author is looking in the right direction I also think it is too simplistic as a notion. The threat of collectivism against individualism is greater than ever.
The biggest problem with the book is that the author is looking at marketing as a subject and then studying how it needs to change in order to catch up with how we have changed. His priority is marketing and that is fine but does not interest me as much as the sub plot of his observation which is that we can all have the potential to be true individuals even if it does seem "weird" that we choose something different to the collective of society fashion. The author is actually saying that we are all weird now because we
all choose things that are outside of the collective fashion these days and therefore marketing needs to catch up with that. I don't agree that we are all thinking to that level of individualism since clearly most people still follow the fashion of marketing.
However the author does get the reader to think about things and to ask questions. He also gets us to see what is happening around us and in that this book is really good.

The book is interesting, funny in places, and thought provoking. It is also well written and is easy to read.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 August 2014
Kindle edition -

I enjoy Seth Godin’s blog and have read the odd book by him. Often his enthusiasm and skewed way of looking at things can find fresh insight, even where he lacks any great depth of knowledge. With this book I felt that he what he was offering was not strong enough to counter the lack of structure or research.

The basis message is a variation on the long tail hypothesis about the bulk of sales are no longer in the best selling lines, but in the formerly niche items. This is a worthwhile thought, and worth exploring, but I did not feel that Seth had really thought through the issues sufficiently to offer a whole book on this. There may well be another really good book to be written on this subject, taking forward the thoughts in The Long Tail, but I’m afraid that this is not it. The core of the story is not really about marketing or customer behaviour, but about reconfiguring an economic system, something that Godin has little to offer on.

Seth is well worth reading and listening to, and I cannot help feeling that the world is much the better place for him being in it, but this is one of his weaker efforts. I would recommend Poke the Box or Purple Cow above this one.
on 29 October 2013
I personally found this book rather dull and off the mark.

I thought that it would be more looking into the subcultures that have become more evident in the last couple of decades. I say become more evident as subcultures or weird tribes as the author likes to refer to, have always been there, but never to the forefront.

To me the whole term 'weird' in this book was used to try and attract people, but to me it felt more like the people that go around saying 'I'm mental me, look at me!'. This book couldn't decide whether to address marketers directly, to address the people it was trying to reach because of the title or to discreetly try and sneak in a pointless message made clear in the foreword 'Buy various copies and give them to colleagues'.

At least it is a small book and it will not waste too much of your time, but I personally found it incredibly disappointing and misleading.
on 26 March 2018
Great boot - top content
on 2 May 2017
Short, simply but good read.
on 30 November 2013
I like some of his other work, I'm sure you could even call me one of his "tribe" of fans.

But this is really poor, very slight and nothing actionable in it. Extremely disappointing to say the least.
on 28 September 2017
Highly informative. Seth Godin has a way of breaking things down which are then easy to digest
on 15 September 2013
Interesting and informative. Don't let the cover put you off, the book is not weird itself! The cover was explained inside and I can see where it came from, but it didn't work for me.
on 13 February 2015
Much the same with many Seth Godin writings, you're unlikely to find much value if you're an avid reader.
VINE VOICEon 29 November 2016
As always Seth Godin inspires with this book too! Social Media has and is revolutionising the world, it allows everyone to express their uniqueness to the world. In this book Godin explains being weird in your own way allows you to join a tribe of like-minded people scattered all over the world. We are no longer going to be classified by nationalities but by tribes...the craft beer tribe, the herbal medicine tribe, the raw food tribe, the Manchester United fan club tribe, etc.

This is a great insight into what really is happening in the world today. A quick but very inspiring read!