Format: Blu-ray|Change

Not a bad movie for Spiderman...and like any movie it's a personal taste whether you will like it or not....but I'm not reviewing the movie itself.. I'm reviewng the 4K ability....The film is NOT true 4K so lets get that out the way as the truth of the matter is,no movies have been made yet in true 4K...However...this upgraded version is fantastic...much better then Blu Ray...The depth of colours and picture refinement is very detailed and for some reason they seem to have tinkered with the sound quality too giving it a lot better separation and steering,especially in 5.1...If your looking for an almost 4K experience then get this to test your 4K TV....as long as your Blu Ray player has 4K upscaling too..which mine has then you will enjoy this immensely..Cheers
I’m not one of those people who insists that all remakes are bad. I like to at least see them before I decide. I guess it’s the play lover in me. Even so, I did think it was a little too early for The Amazing Spider-Man, a film that attempts to set up a new take on the superhero. But since Spider-Man is one of the few heroes I know anything about outside of the movies (and that’s limited), I was curious enough to see it. It really doesn’t hold up against the last one.

As a young boy, Peter Park is left with his Uncle Ben (Martin Sheen) and Aunt May (Sally Field) right before his parents are killed in an accident. Years later as a teen, Peter (Andrew Garfield) finds his father’s old brief case that contains information on the project he was working on with Dr. Curt Connors (Rhys Ifans).

When Peter tries to meet Dr. Connors, he winds up getting bitten by a radio active spider, a bite that gives him strange powers. It also brings him into closer contact with Dr. Connors’ assistant, his fellow student Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone).

But when Dr. Connors tries an experiment to use lizard DNA to grow a missing arm back, it turns him into The Lizard, a powerful monster that starts destroying the city. Can Peter use his new powers as Spider-Man to stop him?

One issue I have with the current glut of super hero movies is the origin story of most of them. They are so similar as a result even if the details are different. I can’t help but think about that here since we’ve got another origin story that covers the familiar bases. On the other hand, tying it back into Peter’s dad was interesting.

My very limited knowledge of Peter Parker includes nothing about Gwen Stacy, but I tried to approach this movie with an open mind as a result. And you know what? I do like her. In fact, I found their budding romance one of the best things in the film.

Likewise, I thought all the acting was great. The characters felt real to me, and that’s all I truly look for. It was interesting to see heavy hitters Martin Sheen and Sally Field in this, but they added some depth to their characters that really brought them to life. And Andrew Garfield had fun delivering the few one-liners he got as Spider-Man. Note to the writers, give us more of those in the sequel.

On the other hand, the effects needed some work. Most of the time, I bought them when they involved Peter as Spider-Man. However, when Dr. Connors turns into The Lizard, it was pretty bad. We’re talking laughably for 10 years ago bad. I don’t know how it got approved, to be honest.

Of course, the danger with a remake is that fans will inevitably compare the two, and I couldn’t help but do that as I was watching. Keep in mind, I loved Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man, so this one had stiff competition. But I felt the emotional level of the original was better than this one. While I liked this movie’s Peter and Gwen, they didn’t feel as real to me as Peter and Mary Jane did ten years ago. This film felt more by the numbers in character development as well as story.

This film isn’t bad, and those looking for another super hero movie will certainly enjoy it. But The Amazing Spider-Man doesn’t have the emotional gravity to live up to its predecessor.
on 22 November 2013
I was a big fan of the original Spider-Man movie trilogy (yes, even the lame 3rd movie) so I was skeptical about whether I'd enjoy it (constantly telling myself that it was too soon for a reboot) but man, does Andrew Garfield deliver.

It's certainly a different take on the young Peter Parker, though he is back with his original girlfriend (from the comics) Gwen Stacey he is also qwirky instead of nerdy - all in all this makes him more relatable than the original Peter Parker and the chemistry between Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield is great.

Watch it, it's good fun.
on 7 March 2015
This film was diabolically lousy!

Little (if any) thought had been put into character develpoment. Even the role of Peter Parker was weak and lacked credability as a 'brilliant' science student.

The script was more of a hash job than a story and didn't run smoothly from scene to scene.

The Spiderman Trilogy with Tobey Maguire was leagues ahead of this offering.
on 31 May 2015
This 2012 reboot of the Spider-Man franchise may not be as amazing as the title suggests, but it does delivers a few elements that make it worth your time, for anyone acquainted with Sam Raimi's bombastic take on the web-slinging superhero from the previous decade's trilogy of crowd-pleasing material.

As far as origin stories go, this film takes another approach on the renowned Peter Parker origin story; adds in another villain that did not appear in the Sam Raimi's films; and the fan-favourite character, Gwen Stacy, as Parker's high-school interest; some up-to-date visual effects, and we should get a satisfying superhero film for its 2-hour-plus running time.

However, the pacing seems rushed, as it is trying to hard to avoid the pratfalls that Raimi's trilogy encountered. And whilst it does deliver the goods, the experience remains under-whelming in the era of Marvel films, and just struggles to stand up against some of this decade's monumental superhero releases from this decade. The shoehorned Stan Lee cameo, as conventional as anything goes in Marvel's world of cinema, breaks up one of the many fight scenes between the main hero and villain pretty badly. The script also seems to rush with developing all of its characters, giving the impression to the average moviegoer not much time to be acquainted with one character after another. At least for the geeks, they do provide some screen time for Parker's rarely seen nor mentioned biological parents, alongside Martin Sheen's cartoonish take on Uncle Ben, and Sally Field's screen worthy take on Aunt May.

The Amazing Spider-Man may not hold up as a standalone film in the cinematic world of Spider-Man, but at least it does takes itself serious enough to give respect for the fans that maybe still recovering from the infamous Spider-Man 3.
on 15 August 2015
I don't like this movie but it was for our son. another reboot that should never have been attempted. best thing in it was martin sheen as uncle ben but he dies so that's not something that last long. shame as his interpretation of the character was the only thing that made this movie partly bearable.
The guy who plays spiderman is to old as this starts in high school and you can see his crows feet in the close ups! Not very believable as character unfortunately
on 11 February 2014
Peter Parker is an outcast high schooler who was abandoned by his parents as a boy, leaving him to be raised by his Uncle Ben and Aunt May.

Like most teenagers, Peter is trying to figure out who he is and how he got to be the person he is today.

Peter is also finding his way with his first high school crush, Gwen Stacy, and together, they struggle with love, commitment, and secrets. As Peter discovers a mysterious briefcase that belonged to his father, he begins a quest to understand his parents' disappearance - leading him directly to Oscorp and the lab of Dr. Curt Connors, his father's former partner.

As Spider-Man is set on a collision course with Connors' alter-ego, The Lizard, Peter will make life-altering choices to use his powers and shape his destiny.....

My expectations were very low for this movie when I heard it was being made. Initially I thought what was the point, to me Spiderman is still a new movie, and to be honest, the last movie wasn't all that good.

But truth be told, I wasn't expecting this, a brilliant movie, but on a par with Spiderman 2.

The cast are a lot better, and Garfield nails it as Parker, this is the Spiderman we got from the comics, not the wet blanket that Maguire gave us with just looks of awe every other minute.

But it does hark back to the first movie, New Yorkers coming together toward the end, the main Bad Guy having some sort of chat with himself, even the guy who killed Uncle Ben in the first movie is the limo driver!!

The relationship between Ben and Peter feels more real in this, and it really does have more emotional impact when he is shot this time around. but it is totally a different movie this time around. It's all about high school and Parker gets hurt in this, quite a lot showing his vulnerable side.

Spiderman being more cocky is the biggest positive for the film, even though he is in peril, he still has time for a one liner. Stone is amazing as Stacey, she really is more than a damsel in distress (Hello Kirsten).

The Lizard is an okay villain, but it just feels like a way over the top villain, and despite a good turn from Ifans, his prerogative just feels like the Jokers from Burtons Batman.

It's a well made film, very exciting, and very funny too, I laughed a lot through the film, the inclusion of the new webs is great too, they seem more fluid I this one and are more intricate to Spidermans powers in this, with these he wouldn't be doing what he does.

See it and enjoy it, it's really worth seeing
on 3 July 2013
There's really nothing much new about this re-imagining of Spider-Man; unlike other comic characters such as Batman or Dredd for example, where the story and atmospheres can be very different with new interpretations.

This take on the Spider-Man story does however make better use of stunts and effects (batter so than even the previous CGI-heavy versions) to reproduce much more convincing Spider-Man poses familiar from the original comics. Andrew Garfield also made for a good protagonist, with his strange spider-like smile.

I did find it somewhat slow though, it didn't grip me despite all the swinging about, and the lizard man was more of a B-movie parody (cf Earth Versus The Spider) than an appropriate nemesis for the modern incarnation of Spiderman. (I've nothing against B-movies, but here it didn't seem to work).

So in summary a slow but watchable Spiderman film - and I'd have probably dropped the "Amazing" bit.
on 6 November 2012
This version, The Amazing Spider-Man shows a slightly different side to Peter Parker and his story while still keeping some aspects of the original trilogy. Peter is still a geeky teenager, this time with a skateboard in tow. He's still into photography, he's still a geeky science lover (due to what his father does/ did) and he doesn't have friends and gets picked on at school. However, there is no Mary Jane in this film and instead we have the love interest in the form of another girl.

As I didn't like Toby Maguire, I was just as unsure of Andrew Garfield who I had never heard of before this film, maybe that was why I was so unsure. However, I liked him a whole lot more as Peter. While he played a geeky character, he was not quite as strange as Toby Maguire. I found his character (even though it was the same character) to me much more likeable and I warmed to him quickly. I also thought he showed a much braver and stronger side to him than I was expecting which I thought was a good addition to him. I also found the way in which he became Spider-Man to be more interesting, although again, pretty much done in the same way.

I think a lot of this was due to the plot differences. I loved the inclusion of Dr. Curt Connors who was played by Rhys Ifans. As Dr. Connors was Peter's father's partner, there was a background story to discover. Although I think this could have been done in a bit more detail, I think it gave Peter a great reason for going to Oscorp in the first place. He wanted to find out more about his parents and he knew that only Dr. Connors could have explained anything about what happened/ about what his father was like. I felt a real connection between these two characters early on in the film which was a nice touch. Ifans was fantastic as Dr. Connors who later turns into Lizard.

In comparison to the other Spider Man film, I preferred this villain due to there being a sort of awkward friendship between the two characters, which wasn't there in the other film. When Dr. Connors becomes Lizard, he changes completely into an angry and resentful person (?). I loved how this showed exactly what the effects of untested drugs could do to a person, along with the obvious problem of being turned into a lizard. Ifans was able to be a nice character and show sympathy and empathy whilst also playing someone who was mean and hateful.

I absolutely loved Emma Stone as the love interest Gwen. She was one of the biggest reasons why I wanted to see this film to begin with as I have loved her in everything she has been in. Her character is slowly brought in to Peter's life as he begins to get to grips with his abilities. She has an interesting family relationship, which affects Peter very much as he becomes Spider-Man. These things mixed in with her personality and likeability, made her a great character and one which really made the film better overall. I do think that she could have been used more in a few places but I'm hoping the next film brings in her character more.

Yes, there will be a sequel. Or a few. If this first film is anything to go by though, I think this will be a fantastic series overall and I can't wait for the next release in 2014 now.
on 30 April 2016
This appears to be one of those post-production 3D films. Consequently, the 3D experience is very disappointing. I gave up watching this film after 40 minutes. Most of the time, you don't need 3D glasses to watch this film. True 3D is filmed at the time of filming, not post-production rubbish like this.
I think there should be a Law which requires producers to declare whether or not a 3D film, is actually true 3D and not post-production.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse