Customer reviews

Last Chance To See With Stephen Fry [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 8 March 2016
This was a brilliant series when it was on the telly and my wife wanted this so could watch it again. Stephen Fry is funny, genuine and really interested in what he is doing. It is a very real, interesting watch and each episode focused on finding that one animal and their experiences during it. Wish they had of done more, would have been great.
A truly great documentary that we enjoy watching.
on 26 January 2010
Mark Carwardine, a thoroughly amiable naturalists, teamed up with the " 2nd Greatest Living Englishman" Mr Stephen Fry (sorry but David A gets the award!), makes a great TV series and fine blu-ray experience. I do not know if it is 1080i or p, but who cares when it looks this fabulous on my 50 inch Panasonic Plasma. The footage of the helicopter flight over the mountains of New Zealand, was simply stunning.

The real pleasure was seeing Fry, a man in love with his 3 i-phones, nespresso coffee machine, macbook pro and wi-fi, become genuinely touched by experiencing the wonder that is wildlife. His "almost in tears" viewing of mountain gorillas, made my girlfriend ask if we can go next year - yes indeed, a big thank you to Mr Fry.
Get the blu-ray, buy the book and hope they repeat this fine series in twenty years time and find these marvelous creatures still holding on!
on 5 January 2011
A wonderful series taking place in the Amazon, Southern Africa, Madagascar, Indonesia, New Zealand and the Pacific. Beautiful locations, and the animals they visit are simply amazing.

The Kakapo parrot is one of the cutest things i've ever seen, and when it shagged Mark I laughed my heart out - Hilarious!

Stephen Fry asks the right questions, nothing is left unanswered, and he manages to carry the whole series by adding a perfectly balanced sense of both adventure and humor.

Furthermore this exellent series looks absolutely stunning in High-def! No complaints regarding picture quality - it's perfect.

I genuinely consider this nature documentary as one of the jewels of my Blu-Ray collection and I would like to praise BBC for this amazing achievement!
5/5 - No doubt!
on 24 March 2013
I have always been interested in wildlife, and rare animals, and this was a chance to see some of the six rarest species on the planet. Steve and Mark work well together, and this is why I also got the Return of the Rhino as well, as the original expedition for the Northern White Rhino had to be abandoned! Again, it is a classic case of people often acting just in time to save a species, and in some cases overcoming long standing prejudices along with business demand!
on 23 November 2015
Good picture but sound is simulated 5.1 which is very annoying, i.e. the same sound is split into 5 channels and exactly the same sound is coming from each speaker. I have the original BBC version of disc 1 and the sound is much, much better. Avoid and buy the UK release.
on 3 January 2010
If you think you have seen all animal documentaries, watch this! I loved the book by Mark and Douglas as it blends scientific knowledge with a fantastic sense of humour! I laughed tears of joy as well as sadness when I read about the incredible creatures that roam our world and are almost extinct because of our selfish way of life. When I saw that Mark produced this film with Stephen, I was not quite sure if I would enjoy it as much as the book, as I loved Douglas Adams. However, I am very pleased that Stephen and Mark managed to pull it off. When they both revisit the places that Mark and Douglas had been to before, it is good to see that some of the protection projects have succeeded but it is also very depressing to see how our human race still destroys habitats and therefore threatens entire eco-systems. I have bought this DVD for friends and family and will use it also in my lessons to teach my children not to repeat the mistakes that my generation has made.
on 13 March 2013
Whether you have read the book by Douglas Adamas & Mark Carwardine or not, this is a brilliant documentation on near extinct animals. You can feel the compassion of Carwardine & Fry towards preserving the last habitats for the nearly eradicated animals.

A short remark on the DVD quality:

The total run time is about 375min not 430min as stated in the product title (no bonus material-bought the 3box set and not the 2box set because of the stated extra run time)
No real menu whatsoever. You can't even select the episodes (2 per DVD). If you want to watch the second episode only, you have to skip forward.

Anaway these minor flaws should not hinder you to buy this great documentation.
on 8 February 2014
We watched the original.
Interesting well presented .
Enough wildlife.
Not too much of presenters.
Superb programmes and a couple of good comedy moments;- That Parrot!!
on 12 September 2010
Sometimes humanity requires a kick in the bum to appreciate what this planet currently has, and what we risk losing. This is such a kick. Statistics about animals at risk don't grab you by the throat, but by actually focusing on specific species, this series brings it home. It's an excellent series, combining Fry's amateur enthusiasm with the expert eye of Carwardine. It's not unlike a soap opera, in that it can bring you down with the depressing situations, and then be uplifting with the (all too few) successes. Great camera work, sound and direction. I love it!
on 8 July 2013
Great series.
Informative, beautiful scenery from around the world and with a little humour thrown in.
It's hard to believe how we as a race can be so destructive.