on 30 January 2017
Not very happy at all with this cold smoke generator and would actually like to have my money back. The fact that it is also highly priced, it certainly did not work well for me. It seems that the candle is too close to the saw dust and when I removed the candle from the holder, it spilled on the saw dust and caught fire. I had to wait for this mess to burn out. This happened twice. On the third I started the smoking with a small blow torch (without the candle), and it did not stay lit. May I mentioned that I used the saw dust provided with the new generator. I am quite used to smoke food, and used a sieve before, this time I decided that I would get the proper generator, but I am back to my sieve again.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 June 2015
This is a clever bit of design and seems to work well. The first attempt was problematic as the dust kept going out and I had trouble relighting. But I went on line to look for tips and found that my issue was the dust was not dry enough. So I gave it a 3 minute blast in the microwave, tried again and it worked perfectly. So far I have only done 2 smoking sessions, both for home made streaky bacon. The first batch I did a single burn with applewood dust, but found to flavour a bit "light". So for the second batch I did 2 burns using hickory, and found the flavour just a little too strong, but delicious none the less. I am sure that I will work out the best combination of wood type and smoking times through trial and error.

I do however have one small issue with this smoker, and that is the price. This device is very small, and simply made. Charging £35 for it is excessive. I did note that other suppliers on Amazon were even charging over £50! A couple of years ago I bought a similarly designed cutlery organiser for a draw. It is at least 4 times bigger, twice as deep, made in a similar way from mesh and thin metal bars, and cost me less around £10. Sadly I have been unable to find any similar smoker alternatives at more reasonable prices, otherwise I would have returned this unit and asked for a refund.
on 9 October 2013
Grabbed a cardboard multi-pack crisp box, popped some bamboo skewer stick supports in the corners,having nabbed the wifes cooling racks for baking & assembled an ad-hoc cold smoker unit in a box with air intake slot & outlet hosed to the outdoors, sealed up with tap & left to get on with it. (cheese, ..lots of cheese)!!!

The unit even comes complete with a tea-light which it's best to add a small screw you can then easily place & remove the candle without risk of slopping wax / burnt fingers.

A toothbrush & tap-water scrub & dry afterwards (60 seconds ..no hardship) prepares it for next time (the mesh is very fine for the required smouldering air-flow to keep it alight, so cleaned well ensures it doesn't go out too).

Simple operation, low cost to run compared to other smokers, great for demonstrating the simplicity of smoking food, especially with youth groups such as cubs / scouts ..challenge them to make a cold smoker from clean recylable materials for instance.

A unit I always yearned for was a bradley smoker but could not justify the price! ...ok it does more but is SO expensive to run, & is somewhat flawed (but good after service).
I know of several people who now simply use this unit within their bradley smoker, reducing running costs dramatically.

an ad-hoc smoke box can be whipped up so easily, or take it round your friends & use it as an excuse to try out a cold smoke on a bbq over the winter (it's not called a cold smoke generator for nothing) ..start cheap with value cheese & experiment! (don't forget a beer).

You won't regret it.
22 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 October 2017
Very simple to use, we actually tried it in our outdoor pizza oven. Smoked two types of fish, beetroot and garlic. Need to play with it a little more, but great results first time out. Definite good buy. Need to remember though this is cold smoking, you still need to cook the food, so not a quick process.
on 27 August 2017
Currently using this for the first time, smoking two slabs of belly bacon in a kamado. Very impressed; it's been going for eight hours so far and is about three quarters of the way through a load of hickory dust, so should get over 10 hours from the setup. Very effective and easy to use - smells glorious!
on 30 December 2017
This kit is absolutely brilliant. Just follow the instructions and you will be making some fantastic smoked foods in no time. I use it in my weber kettle bbq and it works an absolute treat
on 20 August 2017
Bought this for a family member after being impressed by ours. It's versatile and can be used with any box or BBQ. We had about 12 hours of smoke and were very happy with the results with meat, fish, cheese and veg. We can wait for our next smoking session and are already planning recipes
on 10 November 2013
very hard to work and only a certen grain an type of sawdust can be used , its a bit of a connnnnn
33 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 September 2014
I'm into curing and cold smoking certain foods. I have been using a large hot/cold type smoker for some years now, burning wood chips. It's a bit of a waste of wood chips and time when you only want to smoke small amounts so when I saw this I decided to give it a try. I converted some of my oak wood chips into saw dust using my good lady's 'Vitra Mix' food blender, but make sure your wood chips or pellets are very dry. If you use your wife's blender be it on your own head, I'm not being accountable to some outraged wife, I already have one.
I put the ProQ generator into a kettle BBQ and lit the saw-dust, it worked just fine with the oak sawdust I made. As for the Tee Light Candle supplied, I would give a miss. I use one of those miniature gas blow torches, which are readily available at hardware or pound shops and cost about £3.50p, it makes short work of lighting the saw dust. I was so delighted with this smoke generator that I purchased another one, should I need more smoke. It's easy to set up, it saves time and is of very little bother. The saw-dust smoulders for a long time, more than enough for most foods. (Log onto - cold smoking youtube. There are some interesting methods.)

13th Sept 2014
I have used this ProQ smoker a number of times smoking home cured bacon, salmon and cheeses with excellent results. However it does need cleaning because of the burnt wood carbon clogging the fine wire mesh. The simple way is to use 'Oven Mate' a gel oven cleaner which comes with it's own application and scrubbing brushes. (available on amazon) Just apply and leave for 1hr, a quick scrub with brush supplied then rinse off carbon and your ready to go again.
0Comment| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 July 2017
A super little thing. I place it in a closed BBQ overnight (during winter) with cheeses and homecured bacon. A shame it's very expensive for what it is, but it's the only thing like it on the market, making plenty of smoke for a very long period with almost zero heat.