on 4 March 2012
This is my second Polar product and like many people I stuck with Polar because I have all my training history held in their Polar software. However, next time I will 'bite the bullet' and change to Garmin. The issue is that Polar products are not 'robust' Nothing works like it should do and if it does then it doesnt for long. The wearlink system is OK for a few months and then starts to become sporadic. You will understand how annoying it is to have done a tough session only to find afterwards that the wearlink transmitter decided to disconnect for 20 mins in the middle! Or when the battery goes flat that you have to send it back to Polar because the battery connections are so fragile that they cant be trusted to mere mortals like us. And then the IRWave transmitter! I am getting annoyed just thinking about how many times I have had to re-boot my PC to try to get that bl***y thing to work. I could also bitch on about the poor button connectivity when you press them, how slow the GPS system is to find satelites in the first place, why Polar need three seperate components (watch, GPS, IR) when others do it all in one, why doesnt the latest system work in water, why doesnt the latest system work with Lifefitness machines, (the UK's most common gym machines) etc etc. In summary Polar promises much but its delivery is poor and I for one will spend my next £400 somewhere else.
on 25 November 2012
Not too sure about the previous reviewers issues, I'm not sure why you'd buy a HRM with an external GPS and then criticize it for having an external GPS?! I've had one of these for a year and found it to be a very useful piece of kit.

The HRM has quite a few features. The only time I've encountered issues with the strap has been when it has silted up with salt from perspiration - the manual recommends washing it after 5 uses. The barometer is very useful for route profiling, and the WIND sensors are detected without any issues. The software is also very good, and the IRDA transfer mechanism works fine, an improvement over the sonic method used in earlier models such as the RS200. I run Windows 7 64 bit, and have never encountered an issue with the device not being recognized.

2 issues:

- The battery can be changed manually (which is a +), although you will have to get on goggle to find how to reset the screen and restore your regional setting - the contrast is lost for some reason, but this isn't covered in the manual
- The HRM seems unable to transfer sessions over approx. 6 hours in duration. This doesn't appear to be IRDA timeout related, and other RS800 users have also found this problem. Incredibly annoying for an HRM of this price as it makes it impossible to analyse endurance events.