on 12 April 2012
Had this now for a couple of weeks. It's also known as the Epson WorkForce 845 in the US if you're interested (over 190 user reviews on the Epson US website if you're interested). Followed proper installation instructions and used latest software from Epson website and installation was a cinch. Even automagically updated the printer's firmware to the latest version. Both USB and wifi connections were straightforward (I manually entered router's WEP/WPA2 key and the connection to PC was soon confirmed).

I do a lot of printing in my home business and liked the sound of a fast cheap business inkjet. I had a Canon Pixma MP620 for home use and photos beforehand. This is not as quiet as that (even with quiet mode selected), nor surprisingly is the print quality as good (I thought text would be better at least given the step up in price). But it is a lot faster and photos are actually passable - the canon is better but only on careful inspection. Here are my personal delights & quibbles:

PROS
====
* Dual 250 sheet paper trays - an absolute godsend for me as I often use white & coloured paper and *Almost Impossible* to find elsewhere at this price
* Duplex printing - again essential for me, a massive time saver
* Duplex scanning - I do a lot of this so it's brilliant to have, a ginormous time saver
* Strong paper trays (vs flimsy ones on my canon)
* Scanner ADF cleverly flips closed (neat & dust covered) and opens easily
* Photo prints good enough for all but the purists (and I look carefully!)
* Software, firmware & touch panel controls all seem solid & well designed and supported

CONS
====
* Text quality is decent enough but honestly noticeably less sharp than a laser (or even my canon inkjet) - my main disappointment
* A little noisier then I'd read but not annoying
* Duplex scanning slower then I'd expected but far from a deal breaker
* Telescopic paper tray is a little wobbly and right above tray 1 so it often needs to be closed/extended
* Can't scan and print simultaneously - some all-in-ones can - but again, this is hardly essential
* I have thick 300gsm A4 card and it jams around the feed rollers. A rear tray feed would probably work I've read (less bending needed) but alas this doesn't have one. I have resorted to 200gsm instead and it's fine. The 2nd tray is more valuable to me anyway but a rear tray option would have been icing on the cake.
* Given that this is designed to be cheaper to run then lasers (yes really, check pro reviews), ink levels still seem to be dropping fast. Still, I calculate 2.2p - 2.9p per sheet for ink & paper depending on range of costs on the day, which hardly seems extortionate.

Despite similar no. of pros and cons, the *strength* of the pros really outweighs the cons significantly for me. Better print quality or bigger cheaper ink tanks or a rear tray would have probably elevated this to 5 stars for me. Still, I am happy with it and if my list of pros vs cons is acceptable to you, I can definitely recommend it.
on 16 February 2012
Very compact as it is vertically stacked unlike HP's comparable models (Pro 8500A plus) or Canon's MX885 etc.
Wireless setup was a piece of cake and the best thing is EPSON provides Linux drivers so setting it up with my Ubuntu 64-bit was really easy.
Duplex print & scan works like magic. Really redefines how inkjet printers should be!
Paper trays are well designed and work well. Printing from my Samsung Galaxy SII works fine.
Very happy with the purchase.
on 30 April 2013
We bought this to replace a former and defunct Epson that didn't last very long.

This has been such an improvement. Whilst it does rather lurk in the corner of the living room, the scanner is good, the print quality and speed good enough for home working and hobby stuff, and the use of ink cartridges reasonably sensible.

The Wifi functionality is straightforward, it's great having a proper duplex printer, and it does a reasonable job also of scanning multi-page documents to PDF. I am very fond of the ability to email documents to it from work, and know they'll be printed out when I get home.

It's not the fastest - but I don't need that, it's big and ugly - but that's hardly surprising given what it's designed to do, and for the capability it was reasonably priced.

So long as it stays reliable, which it has done so far, this gets 5 stars from my household.
on 28 November 2013
Fantastic printer, does everything we need it to. The 2 trays are ideal for different paper types, we use A5 and A4 regularly so its nice to not have to swap paper around. The functions on it are really easy to use. We have even used the remote system of printing when we have been away from the house and it worked a treat. It is big but considering the functions it has then you can't really expect it to be small. The scanning/photo coping part is so easy and very quick to use.
on 17 August 2012
As a teacher I print a lot of worksheets so I bought this printer due to the double paper trays and duplex printing/scanning ability (I also use an office all in one laser at home to print black and white single paged worksheets but need an inkjet for colour ones). I scan a lot too to try to reduce the amount of paperwork around the house so needed the ability to scan multiple double sided sheets.

Setup - I installed the printer software before connecting the printer via wifi and auto setup meant that I didn't need to enter the router's wep key. Setup was very easy and only took a few minutes. After checking everything worked I installed the software on another laptop and it worked flawlessly (although I haven't tried scanning using the second laptop).

It comes with a set of "apple" cartridges, which still showed as full after installation and ink charging (unlike others I've had in the past with starter cartridges that get part used during ink charging). I print a lot of worksheets for school and the black cartridge has gone down quite quickly, even though I frequently use economy mode (which is readable in most cases and suitable for school use) and I have already had to change the black cartridge. The colour ones are still half full and didn't go down when I was only printing black and white pages, unlike some previous printers I have had. Obviously the "stag" cartridges are a much higher capacity but they are expensive at about £40 a set (although they work out cheaper in the long run and so are worth the extra expense unless you only print occasionally).

Printing isn't particularly fast on normal mode, certainly no quicker than my canon inkjet which was several years old, but with duplex printing it doesn't need to be watched so it's no problem for me. Economy is much quicker and reasonably legible although not as clearly as my previous canon was when in draft mode, so sometimes I need to use normal quality whereas most of my printing on the canon was in draft. Even in normal mode the print quality doesn't match my old canon, with dots visible a bit like the old dot matrix printers from years ago (although only noticeable on smaller text sizes less than 12 point). Not a problem for me as they are only read by pupils, but you would have to use "quality" mode with a significant speed sacrifice (about a minute per page for a document with colour text at the top) if you were sending out professional documents. Certainly the quality is slightly worse than the old canon unless you use the glacially slow "quality" mode.

Scanning is particularly slow, taking about 20 seconds a sheet to scan and process in greyscale, taking more than twice that in 300dpi colour mode (using a laptop with 4gb RAM and an i3 processor). As with printing though, the duplex functionality means you can just leave it so it's not a problem for me, but might cause problems if several people want to use it in an office. I've scanned lots of double sided documents, including stacks of around 30 sheets without any problems so far.

It's marketed as suitable for a small office, but it seems much more suited to personal use as it would be too slow if several people were frequently printing from it or if you print large documents and don't want to wait ages for them to be printed.
on 9 August 2012
Bought this because I needed wi-fi because of a new laptop and Iphones and anything else which comes along in the future. It prints very quickly and to a high standard and for the price is excellent value for money. It is hard to find a downside to it as it does what I need and does it very well. I haven't had to replace any ink cartridges yet so I don't know how long they will last, but if there is a downside to Epson printers the ink cartridges are very expensive and don't last to long but the print quality swayed me to buy it. Overall very pleased.
on 29 May 2013
i bought this Epson printer to replace my older one, the only thing i can say against it is i find it very slow compared to my old Epson apart from that it prints both sides and it prints brilliant photo's.
on 7 November 2012
If you're looking for a fast economical all in one then you won't go wrong with this one, very fast, colour and mono are very quick. It's very easy to set up, nice easy menus on a very large easy to read screen. Excellent air print from just about any device, the app for the iPad works really well, I use it every day. It's not the quietest, and I think that has a lot to do with the speed. It's not bad at photos, but its not as good as a dedicated photo printer. It's very economical on ink, and the ink is reasonably priced. The double paper trays are a great bonus, we have 6 people using this printer every day and so far we have had no issues at all. Oh yes and the price...brilliant, easily competes with the much more expensive HP.
on 25 October 2012
Epson have certainly produced a good quality printer with this one. The product prints, faxes and copies up to A4 size. Double sided printing and copying is a standard feature of the product which makes it great for producing information leaflets. This unit also has two paper trays. This makes it an excellent product for times when you use plain paper and headed paper and don't want the hassle of continuously swapping the paper around! Ink cartridges also an excellent price which makes the printer affordable for small businesses and home use.

Would certainly recommend this item to anyone needing a new printer.
on 8 May 2013
Perfect for my needs and easy to use. Holds loads of paper in two trays, which I have to say feel a bit fragile when compared to the rest of build quality of this printer. Five star printing at a budget price if you buy compatible inks.