This set features 6 DVDs containing the complete Prisoner series which was first released in 1967 plus lots of interesting extras which has been very effectively transferred to DVD. The visual quality is very good and the aspect ratio is quoted as 1.33:1, even on automatic picture setting on my 16:1 TV the discs are very watchable and don't have any unfilled border. The sound is Dolby 5.1 but there are no subtitles. The total running time of all 6 discs is around 850 minutes.

These discs capture the atmosphere of The Prisoner series perfectly and will bring memories flooding back. On most of the discs there 3 episodes per disc but, on the final disc, there's lots of extra material including production crew commentaries, trailers, archive material plus, previously unreleased behind the scenes material which is a real treasure trove for fans.

In summary, a quality transfer to DVD of an enigmatic series which was in many ways more perceptive about the future than we can ever have known at the time. Recommended.
11 Comment| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 February 2017
What can I say about such a wonderful series as The Prisoner that hasn't already been said? Although I myself, have been subjected to childish name-calling over the fact that I have already bought this series on Video, DVD and Blu-Ray, I really wanted this on a more portable platform (which is why I bought it yet again). For me, even though I wasn't even thought of when it first aired back in the late 60's, it showed how forward-thinking Patrick McGoohan truly was; the subjects that The Prisoner dealt with back then, such as environmental concerns and the human condition and how we are all affected by who ever is in power (in any country) at any point in time.
I must admit that I don't like all of the episodes e,g, Living In Harmony, they (mostly) stand the test of time, with the exception of the two at the end (Once Upon A Time & Fall Out), which felt rather rushed and at the time, they were). But mostly, they are wonderfully eccentric and thoroughly enjoyable. I know that they're not ever going to be everyone's cup of tea but I do hope that there will always be a new generation that will get to see this as a whole and not just allow themselves to only watch instant gratification TV which doesn't require much thought nor provokes discussion.
on 21 August 2016
Fantastic t.v series, almost ahead of it's time and still relevant today, in a nutshell the story is a metaphor for the forms of control in society- the media, the government and ignoring issues because 'it's not my problem' - One other thing the roaring bubble I believe represents the fear in society & from dark forces in control trying to consume the individual...
on 15 April 2017
It bypassed me for some reason when younger, though some of my friends could be heard often making quotes from it. On watching it I thoroughly enjoyed a lot of the episodes, and loved the music. Sadly for me towards the end it declined, certainly the last three or four episodes, and the end to me, was a very big let down, after such a good series, but for this I would have given it 5 stars.
on 25 May 2017
A must watch show for all ages.Portmeirion is still exactly the same 50 years later. The writers managed to condense a complete story into a 45 minute episode, something which modern shows can not do. Thoughtful, provacative and entertaining, many viewers may find the narrative difficult to follow, but this is probably because, they lack the capacity to think.
on 29 July 2017
Wow, the clarity of sound and picture are quite astounding for this 1960s classic series.
I've watched 3 discs so far. I'm looking forward to seeing the extras disc, and some of the re-edited episodes as well. But all of the original series is here in great clarity.
I never quite understood this as a young boy, and I'm not sure I do now as an adult, either. But visually it's very rich. The scenery of Portmierion, the colourful outfits, the big white bouncing ball, it pops on the screen wonderfully. It's a bit psychological thriller, bit mystery. I am left asking "Who is number one?"
I was unsure what to write for this review. Am I to review the cult 1960s series 'The Prisoner' or the fact that it has now been transferred to a 'compact DVD' boxed set? I have 'The Prisoner' in the previous DVD boxed set and it is 3 - 4 times as wide/thick as the latest boxed set. I may give the older boxed set to charity. The new boxed set is certainly a space saver.
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.
My life is my own.

Number 6: Where am I?
Number 2: In the Village.
Number 6: What do you want?
Number 2: We want information.
Number 6: Whose side are you on?
Number 2: That would be telling. We want information... information... information.
Number 6: You won't get it.
Number 2: By hook or by crook, we will.
Number 6: Who are you?
Number 2: The new Number 2.
Number 6: Who is Number 1?
Number 2: You are Number 6.
Number 6: I am not a number, I am a free man.
~~~~
No show had a more dynamic start (In dialogue terms), then The Prisoner's verbal parrying exchange between number 6 and number 2 at the start of the show every week.
The show may have it's roots in the Sci-fi and the Philosophical camps, with a dollop of 1984 thrown in.(Substitute Big Brother for Number 2 "Is watching you.")But by a combination of good visuals,intelligently written storylines and concise editing, it rises above all three to become something more then the sum of it's parts.
~~~~
McGoohan always claimed that the Prisoner was not Danger Man's John Drake but script editor George Markstein, (The bald chap McGoohan hands his resignation letter to then bangs down on the desk at the start of the show.)said he was.
So because of this personality clash one of them had to go and because of the "Star Power" McGoohan had it was Markstein.
(McGoohan at this time was the highest paid actor in British television.
Markstein went on to help create the more down to Earth secret agent "Callan".)
I'll not comment on the ending as it would spoil the plot for the people who haven't seen it yet,but one thing I will say is, if you like the simple straight forward plots of James Bond you will probably end up scratching your head and feeling a little baffled.
Apparently there was a "village" in the Scottish Highlands for retired British Spies during and after WW2.
(No Rover though)
~~~~
This show influenced other shows for many years to come.The Avengers got even more zany,even Doctor Who was affected with stories like The Mind Robber.In the US many years later shows like Nowhere Man betray it's roots as a Prisoner derivative.It's even been spoofed on The Simpsons,and I can't think of a better compliment then that.
This will keep you watching right up until the last episode's credits.
Perhaps the overall meaning behind this programme is, it's an anti-conformist rant on the part of the Individualistic Mr McGoohan.But that to me seems to cheapen it slightly.
One aspect that can't be denied,it's a show that doesn't let you forget it in a hurry.
Overall comment on the show is, Brilliant in every regard.
For me stand out episodes are "Many Happy Returns" and "The Girl Who Was Death", as in one episode he finally gets away, but it turns out to be another breaking tactic used by the Village to show it can get him back anytime they like.
(Count the number of candles on the happy returns cake)
And the other is so surreal, it out-does a Salvador Dali painting.
Trivia:~ The bowler in the village Cricket match in,"The Girl who was Death" was really called........JOHN DRAKE.
Mr McGoohan's humour perhaps?

(I've visited Portmeirion twice in the past 10 years and I can vouch it's a lot easier getting into then out of.)
Be Seeing You.
review image
on 6 January 2017
Always liked this program right from the start. It was ahead of it's time, not many people understood it, but everybody had their own interpretation. (It was The Prisoner against the rulers, who liked to keep you under the thumb!).
on 11 April 2015
The Prisoner series on dvd are definitely a series that should be watched. Very interesting in deed. I wont spoil it for you by telling what its about but I can highly recommend the series. For the price its a must own. Great seller. Fast delivery. A really happy customer. Thank You.
review image review image review image