Customer reviews

Weightless
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 February 2017
I find it hard to understand why Weightless has slightly mixed reviews; I think if anything this is my favourite album of Animals As Leaders out of their four so far, although all of their albums are works of considerable merit. It is incredibly innovative as with most of their work, and this album in particular has a slightly dark and poignant feel to it. It is packed full of amazing and surprising compositions and is definitely a masterpiece.
on 27 November 2011
very good tech metal from guitar god tosin abasi, and friends.
every once in a while comes an inovator who takes the guitar to a new place,think hendrix,zappa,van halen,vai,satriani,holdsworth and jarzombek and then abasi who takes it to a new level.
not an easy listen by any means but he can certainly play his 8 string.
one small gripe is the lack of clear info on the cover,otherwise a very good album.
a good buy.
6 people found this helpful
on 29 January 2015
Challenging
on 19 February 2018
All fine.
on 25 October 2013
I bought this having got their first album about 2-3 months prior. This album for me personally sounded quite different to the first one, but this is a huge positive. I highly recommend it.
on 24 January 2012
in my opinion not as classic as the original self titled record but the new band members seem to have added their personal touch to the sound as expected. needs a few listens to really get good i think, the tracks are good in small doses not so much as an album really, listen in chunks,xx
on 28 January 2014
Not quite as crushing as the first, but"earth departure" has to be one of the best songs ever recorded. There is only one Tosin Abasi!
on 19 February 2013
This is a Superb Album, lots of interest in every track, and fantastic guitars throughout the whole album, highly recommended
on 5 October 2017
‘Weightless” is one of those albums where I tell myself to really focus, but then my mind wanders and I don't pay much attention to it. I see it as good background music, despite the fact that's a bit of an enigma since this is really heavy Djent instrumentals. There's melodic lead guitars over the top of the chugging Djent grooves and robotic drumming, with occasional electronic sound. It’s an interesting sound, but it’s not a great album overall. I think my personal favourite is “Do Not Go Gently” which I found to be the most melodic.
on 2 February 2012
Tosin Abasi has done it again! Another brilliant release from AAL, showcasing just what musicians are capable of! While the first album focused more on the range of an 8-string it still felt like the lowest string itself was of minimal influence. Now Abasi has shown just how insanely heavy his music can be with songs like an infinite regression and do not go gently. The heavier aspect of the music is the prime Focus of this album, but the jazz guitars have not been forgotten. It seems this album has been more evenly balanced than the previous, and it really shows. The production also blows the first album out of the water! Now we can truly appreciate just how complex and layered the music really is! Once again every song has its own unique feel, though some tracks stand out a bit more than others. Do not go gently is incredibly fast paced and heavy and probably my favourite on the album. Buy it immediately! You won't be disappointed!
4 people found this helpful