on 14 January 2013
I have been involved in the world of 12 Step Recovery for quite a few years now and this is the first time I have experienced such an inclusive approach.

Richard seems to be reaching out with hope to people of:

o all faiths and none;
o all addictions and none;
o and every different orientation there is...........

This book may not be the best one for absolute beginners in the world of recovery from addiction - it is rather complicated and a bit obscure in parts.

But Richard does make it clear that we ALL have the same addiction - and that addiction is to the way we think - or as Bill W (one of the founder members of AA) would have so accurately said - we are all addicted to our `stinking thinking'.
on 23 December 2014
I have been a priest serving in a parish for 40 years, a product of the Paul VI church and finding life hard in a church that had redirected its focus away from people and on to its perception of ritual and tradition. Rohr is like a warm blanket. His thought process reassures and his insight to the twelve steps an eye opener. He articulates what i have been trying to say over these past years and when so many challenge this approach, it is good to have a friend.
on 13 August 2014
A very insightful appreciation of the spiritual principles underpinning the recovery program of traditional 12 Step fellowships and a bright and useful companion to anyone who has taken such steps upon their own road of healing and growth. Especially helpful to others who might seek to understand.
on 14 October 2015
This is a fabulous book as all of Richard Rohrs book are. If you are struggling with any addiction, and there are so many types not just alcohol, this book is powerful. I think once you have read this book you will want to read more of his books and they will for sure help you on in your journey.
on 6 January 2015
Great title - from a previously unpublished poem which he quotes at the start of his book - Father Richard Rohr explains how AA's 12 steps is a programme that achieves the impossible. Through following these simple steps -if you're in despair, floundering around - healing & liberation of spirit (breathing under water) will come. An American Franciscan priest who founded the Centre for Action & Contemplation in New Mexico, Richard Rohr comes from the mystical tradition of Christianity - Julian of Norwich, Thomas Merton etc but, like Eckart Tolle, he assimilates many traditions to lead us away from ego & duality to the wholeness of spiritual living & breathing.
on 30 April 2012
Rohr makes an excellent connection between the 12 steps and the scripture references. His book gave the scriptures a new meaning for me. I recommend this book, especially to someone following the twelve steps.
on 30 December 2012
Richard gets to the core, the heart ,of the 12 steps. Even those who are not struggling with compulsive/addictive behaviour will find here a great depth of understanding of the human condition.
on 16 January 2013
This is a brilliant read very informative.great insight into Richard rohr thoughts regarding the twelve step program of alcoholics anonymous.lots about our dualist thinking and how it will hold us back.have bought more of this Jesuits book since reading this.
on 19 December 2013
:-( Dear Richard Rohr, I love your writings! I have most of your books, and read Breathing Under Water with a sense of gratitude and hope. So much so that I decided to buy the audio version for a friend as a Christmas gift. How disappointing, first of all, to discover that the reader is not you, but instead another Franciscan father with a voice so dull it makes my sat nav sound enthusiastic. I don't think I can pass this gift on, lest my friend judges your important work by the monotonous drone that overshadows the content. Instead, I'll have to buy another copy of the book and see if I can return this product.
on 6 October 2013
For anyone needing further proof that the 12 step program is spiritual, this is it. I found this book inspiring and uplifting.