Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

on 30 December 2011

First, let me say that I totally loved this book! Right from the very first chapter it gripped me and I really couldn't put it down.

I don't think there are many novels about vampires set in ancient Greece. And, since I have a very keen interest in those times, I really wanted to read this. Having already read this author's other novel, Age of Dreams, and loving her writing style and that novel, I couldn't wait to get reading.

The well-written and intriguing prologue sets the tone for what the reader has in store in this great novel. The opening tells us that Philip is a soldier in Alexander the Great's army and that he is already tired of war. He is obviously grieving for a lost love, and in his highly intoxicated state (due to Alexander's generous offerings of wine for his army), Philip is seduced by an evil vampire (Scylla) who is disguised as his dead wife Amaranthea. She makes him a vampire and then it's instant action and it's straight into chapter one, which takes us back to how Philip and Amaranthea's relationship, and how Scylla enters their life.

The characters were really well-drawn and I liked the little flashback scenes that told me a little about each character. I found that these were done with great success and did not interfere with the story at all. It helped me sympathise with the characters more, even the villain of the piece - Scylla.

I loved the fact that this novel is told from the vampire's point of view (even though it's written in third-person). We get to experience what it's like to be a vampire and what it means to be immortal. I found myself sympathising with Philip and his pain after the loss of his dear wife, who dies in childbirth. Now an immortal vampire, his only wish is to find her reborn in another body. This is what keeps him going. They are soul mates. Twin souls even.

And now the great twist (there are quite a few in this novel). Enter Greek gods and goddesses, sorceresses and otherworldly realms. Philip is set a task by Zeus to destroy the evil Scylla. This now becomes Philip's quest, as well as his search for Amaranthea's soul.

I really enjoyed this novel, and its new take on some ancient myths. Don't miss if you fancy a different vampire tale than what is currently out there (very far removed from Twilight, that's for sure). I highly recommend this book, even if you don't like vampires, because it is a gripping story of passion, betrayal, soul mates and eternal love. And if you're looking for an intelligent new spin on the vampire genre, this is it. Can't wait for the next one in the series!