on 21 February 2012
Haven't listened to all the discs yet but so far the mastering sounds sterling, Charlie very clear in the mix. Sounds just as good to my ears as the JSP Studio Chronicle box-set mastered by JRT Davies. It comes with a very nice 68 page booklet (full session details) in French and English with a number of great photos, some of which I've never seen before - a real beauty of Bird and Monk from 1953 (but where's the hat?). All in all, a lovely package. Whether or not it is indeed "complete" I'll have to leave to greater, more erudite minds than mine but at 13 discs (two containing broadcasts, concerts and private recordings)it should satisfy most Bird enthusiasts. Limited edition it says so ...
on 1 June 2012
Having seen this,and immediately desired it,I checked for reviews,All About Jazz being as good a site for professional comments as any--it confirmed my hopes of excellence,and of course I purchased it straight(no chaser) away.I have yet to receive it,but am optimistically giving it 5 stars,as both content and sound get a double thumbs up from a trusted source.I'm a Bird nut,and have so much of his stuff,but am always looking for more,in better sound.Bird lives,and continues to do so,as long as there are ears to hear,and companies to put out the material.
One of (probably THE)greatest Jazz musicians of all time.Jazz,like Classical music,seems to have the loin's share of its talent in the past,so spend your money on this,and forget the latest thing...they won't last,Bird will see you through life.
Semper fi!
PS I now have this,and it is FANTASTIC,the best sounding Bird I've ever come across,not as the previous reviewer stated,as good as the JSP set,but infinitely superior.My only cavil,and I'm probably alone in this,is that it could've been less imposingly packaged--yes,LESS--it is the length of 2 cd's,I personally would've preferred a smaller box,but,as I say,I am doubtless in the minority here.Just to reiiterate,absolutely fantastic,the best money I have spent on Charlie parker ever,and I've been a fan for 40 years.
on 7 July 2012
I bought a much cheaper Charlie Parker collection recently ("Documents"), and even though it was fairly comprehensive, there was no information. Such indifference infuriates me. So, I was delighted to come across "The Complete Masters." It includes a useful booklet with annotation that enhances one's appreciation for this classic music.
on 23 March 2013
Great music but not for Parker completists. Some sessions are absent.
I have been unable to find the Legendary Rockland Palace Bird with Strings concert on it. It does not include some alternate takes and false starts but the recording quality is fine.