VINE VOICEon 14 August 2012
Amazon were out of stock when I was looking for one of these but I got one for the same price.

I did however order a Transend Class 10 32Gb SD card as I thought it would be cheapest to run with this and that 32Gb would be enough local storage.

Setup was indeed easy and the hardest job was getting out of the box :)

All one has to do is plug it into your home network (cat 5 cable provided), power it up and wait for the light on the front to go solid green.

The rest of the setup is done at the pogoplug website which finds the box with no user intervention or even entering a serial number (from what I can recall).

It does however offer you extra features and storage (see my uploaded screen dumps) and also offered is a PC backup program also at extra costs.

I went for the free service which gives you your local storage and the 5Gb online as two separate storage areas.

The PC Backup program can be installed which maps the local storage as a drive letter on your local network, typically P:

Thus you can just copy music, pictures or videos to P: (I have not tried videos).

The unit indexes the photos by month and year and also indexes music by title, artist, genre, etc.

Apps exist for IOS and Android platforms which let you play the music, and view the pictures and play videos (I have not tried videos), you can also do the same from the browser interface.

All of this does work on my local network and the apps were both able to find my pogoplug on my home network via the mobile phone network and wifi from another location (my router is a FritzBox 7270).

What I did have problems with are as follows.

1. My 32Gb SD card gave me incredibly slow performance saying it would take hours to copy a cd's worth of mp3 files. I changed the setup to a 16GB USB flash memory card which has worked with no problems.

2. The phone apps are supposed to auto upload to the pogoplug images and I guess video taken. I found this unreliable even when all devices were on the home network with the IOS version locking up it would seem on B&W images? Reported to support and even sent one of the images which caused the lockup but no solution that made any sense was offered.

The android version only seemed to upload the odd one and the only option the app offers is to try and upload all of them again by clearing the upload history.

It would also seem the device offers no power save option so I am not sure if a connected hard drive would spin down or run all the time.

I must say that once I realised the upload feature of the apps was suspect that I have not had to reset the pogoplug once.

Note: don't forget to eject the media before you unplug or you will have a long wait while it re-indexes the data.

At the end of the day, I am not sure the device offers any real value...
review image review image
on 2 September 2012
Works very well but uploaded folders and all their contents occasionally dissapear after they were made and uploaded to. Can be very annoying because of this and when long time bugs like this are Ironed out it will be perfect!

Update= The software has just been updated and it seems to be working much much better now. I would not see myself without a Pogoplug in the future :-)

5 Stars
on 28 November 2012
Works great does all and more. Wish I had one sooner. Easy to set up and use? Looking at a second one for family members
on 3 May 2013
I've been using it for ages now and it is a great way of saving phone pics from the whole family.
on 25 January 2012
Have since returned the product, does what it says on the tin and streams data from my hard drive through my router however when I left the my home network it took forever to load even a photo..... I'm almost being literal too.
on 30 March 2015
There are much better solutions that this... :-(
on 19 August 2015
great idea, but you need harddrive
on 22 November 2012
I bought this to view photos on my ipad or via my mobile phone. However it just doesn't work most of the time. When it does work via 3G, photos appear grainy and not anywhere near the resolution of the original photos. When sat at home and connected to my wifi, pogoplug works fine, however this is pretty pointless when the idea is to be able to view files remotely.

On the upside, customer services have tried hard to get things working correctly, but its not working for me again at the moment. I will give customer services another try, but I'm loosing the will to bother with it. :(
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse