on 7 September 2017
This is a good read to get a whirlwind history of the Basques and the world they have occupied. There are still some unanswered questions (the origin of their language, for example) as well as a lot of interesting new information for me (their great history of whaling, steelworks, Catholicism, etc.)
One person found this helpful
on 30 April 2018
quick delivery for a very acceptable book considering the low price
on 13 October 2017
I've read it 15 years ago and always wanted my own copy. Having it on kindle is perfect. I am Basque and therefore was very interested to see how Basque history is written.
on 8 May 2016
Brilliant book. possibly a bit tongue in cheek.
on 15 April 2012
As a basque, I bought this book full of curiosity. It is great to look at our history from an outsider's point of view.
I think it is very well written and very nicely documented and that it is based in facts rather than in historical points of view.

I find it very interesting for basques and also for foreigners indeed.
2 people found this helpful
on 11 September 2016
Superb introduction to Basque history and culture. If you have friends visiting Basque territory, gift this book to them. They will thank you greatly.
on 7 October 2014
Fantastic book about a fascinating subject. Hard to find fault.
on 10 April 2016
Cracking read, although could do with an updated chapter on the dissolving of ETA and the consequences this has had.
on 22 January 2016
Not as good as COD by the same author
on 2 March 2013
The basques have a fascinating history - I thought I knew that before reading the book - but Mark Kurlansky adds to that with many links to other country's history such as Spain and France. And he adds a lot of extra bits such as Basque recipes.