on 3 August 2007
Damn Rebel Bitches has been around for nearly ten years but I only got hold of it this year and I'm so glad I did. It deals with what seems to me an unforgivable gap in the Jacobite research canon. I'm not a historian but the period fascinates me and I can't remember being so vividly confronted with the realities of the domestic and public lives of those involved before. The book brings its subjects into the spotlight and very much to life. The research is meticulous and it's a pleasure to find it combined with such an obvious writing talent (the two don't always go together). This is exciting, informative, funny, sad and above all very, very readable.
on 3 August 2007
I'm of the generation who learned about history at school and was bored. University was little better. I didn't care that various aggressive men had fought over hierarchical states where women were hardly ever more than a footnote. Then I discovered 'Damn Rebel Bitches.

This book brought the past to life for me in the way that only historical fiction had done previously. The characters are alive(they once really were!) and I particularly enjoyed the story of my ancestor, the so-called Colonel Anne Mackintosh, who defied her husband and fought for Prince Charlie. A brilliant book. I hope Maggie Craig writes more.
on 3 August 2007
If you want to know everything there is to know about this fascinating period in Scottish history, and to read about it from an author who has not only clearly done her research, but can also incorporate it in a eminently readable way, then this is the book for you. Despite being a Scot, I'm ashamed to admit I knew nothing about these brave women. Now I do. Well done Ms Craig. This book is a tour de force and should be recommended reading for all!
on 10 September 2007
On reading the recent `Books from Scotland' article by Maggie Craig celebrating 10 years of Damn' Rebel Bitches I dusted off my copy and re-read it.

The article gives some hint of the years of dedicated research that went into the book. Anyone who has been near the Baga de Secretis would know this was not an easy task. The book is very readable, showing Craig's passion for the subject but at the same time the depth of knowledge and research that went into it. Unlike other academic works the footnotes are missing just a hint of the trail in the bibliography.

The work is well respected by Jacobite and Clan Societies. It is a recommended reader for university courses on Scottish and women's history in the UK, Canada and the USA.

I first read it after Janet Paisley, the Scottish Poet and writer, chose it as her Book of the Year for the Sunday Herald, 2001 in which she said:

'Tearing the veil from Scottish history..sets the Jacobite record brilliantly straight. Scots women fought to preserve personal freedom and equality. We inherited the repressive culture they lost to - and the genes to dispute it still'

Well worth reading again.
on 9 December 2000
The book gives an idea of why women became Jacobite supporters and the sorts of contributions they made to Bonnie Prince Charlie's attempts to gain the British throne. It also provides an insight into the culture of the time and women's role in society and politics. Very useful reference material.
on 14 September 2007
Just read the author's comment on the 10th anniversary of Damn' Rebel Bitches and wanted to say how right she is to feel so proud of it. I bought and read it after hearing writer Janet Paisley sing its praises a couple of years ago. There are countless books about the Jacobite era but this is the first to tell the stories of the many women who played such significant roles during those years and it is a fascinating read. It is clear how much research has gone into the book but it remains always accessible and a 'damn' good read'. Maggie Craig has shown Jacobite women of the 18th century in an entirely new and inspiring perspective. This book should be part of the Scottish history curriculum (and women's studies) for the way in which it brings these Jacobite women to life.
on 9 March 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found the women's stories fascinating. I was particularly intrigued by 'La Belle Rebelle' and after wondered how she managed to have a successful marriage! Oh and poor Anne Mackay, I cried when I read of her bravery.
Brilliantly told, was like sitting listening to an old friend blether away. A refreshing change for me to read about amazing Scottish women! Excellent stuff from Maggie Craig, I've now ordered the boy version!
on 26 October 2006
An excellent insight into the minds of the brave women who supported Bonnie Prince Charlie. It also highlights the charismatic effect he had on women, who were willing to risk everything, even their lives, to help him secure the Stuart restoration.
on 30 March 2013
Bonnie Prince Charlie seemed to rouse the sympathies of many a Scots lass, and Maggie Craig quickly brings them all before our enthralled eyes. Perhaps the most adventurous of this 18th century band of women was Anne Mackintosh from near Inverness. While her husband was captain of a company for the reigning Hanovers, she raised a whole regiment for the rebel Jacobites. None-the-less, when he was captured and handed over to her on parole, they still managed to greet each other politely, and their marriage continued happily after she was released from her subsequent arrest and imprisonment. Meanwhile, behind all the high jinks of young ladies acting out their inner warrior, hangs the eventual slaughter and revenge of the final battle of Culloden.
on 7 March 2010
Fantastic read.
Read for book review for degree module.Didn't enjoy history much in school so to discover this book and the part women played during this period was great. Very interesting characters throughout. Great reading style. Bit of jumping back and forth but when I get used to that it was truly enjoyable. Recommended to all my friends and boring the pants of them all by recalling the findings in the book.
All good stuff!