on 1 February 2012
I absolutely love Futurama no doubt about it! I quote it often on a daily basis!
So after the success of the 4 movies and continuous pressure from fans to bring it back Futurama has returned with great gusto!

What I love about the new Futurama is how the writers drop references and characters from earlier episodes back into these new episodes, showing a great deal of care and genuine affection they have for the franchise. My personal highlights of this Season 5 boxset have to be 'The Prisoner of Benda', 'Lethal Inspection', 'Proposition Infinity' and 'The Late Philip J. Fry', very clever episodes for the true diehard fans such as myself. I'm not surprised 'The Prisoner of Benda' was nominated for an Emmy. And Bender dressed up as Leela at Comic Con 3010 declaring himself 'Every nerd's fantasy' is the highlight of the whole box set. Plus Matt Groening and the writers poking fun at Futurama being cancelled with their 'new' series Futurella!
Futurama has definitely still got it!

I must go now. I feel like I'm coming down with a case of 'Circusitis'. What's this you ask? Just buy this box set! Simple.

Bring on Season 6! Hail Futurama!
15 people found this helpful
on 6 October 2011
Sooooo good to have Futurama back. What with the tardiness of the UK DVD release of this (essentially half) season, it has been a good few years before we have had a full run of 'normal' episodes - by which I mean the usual 20 minute format. If anything the writing has got better, the jokes are funnier and the storylines are even more complex. And it can also produce a tear or 2 - I'm looking at you 'The Late Philip J Fry'! Bender just gets more and more funny and has a lot of the best lines, as does the Professor, but Fry's severe lack of the clevers sometimes steals the show with blisteringly funny one-liners as well as pathos for his simple loving nature.

The one criticism would be that Zoidberg has not been used much here and is slowly turning into the wise-cracking quipper, which would be a shame as he is one of my favourite characters.

Best episodes: 'Attack of the Killer Apps' for its topical hilarity, 'The Duh-Vinci Code' because of its great story and pithy asides to the Dan Brown monstrosity that it apes (sort of), 'The Late Philip J Fry' simply because it is one of the best Futurama eps ever made as well as having a coherent story (in a Futurama-ee kind of way) and great mixture of jokes and heart-string pulling, especially during the final scene: both touching and hilarious; and I also really enjoyed 'That Darn Katz' just for being so typically bonkers and strangely Lovecraftian.

A brilliant comeback from a beyond-super-infinite-brilliant-to-the-power-of-10-etc show. Long may it last, all the way to the end of the universe and back round again. And again. The only problem is the wait for the DVDs to be released - as with the Simpsons, they seem to be taking an age to reach UK shores.
One person found this helpful
on 15 June 2011
I love FUTURAMA. I've watched the classic episodes a bazillion times on SKY and have yet to grow tired of them. So after viewing the rather disappointing specials, I was really worried that the FUTURAMA writers had lost their touch. Thankfully, my fears were unwarranted. FUTURAMA is back and in terms of quality, hasn't missed a beat since its foolish cancellation by FOX in 2003. And who cares if SKY won't carry it? I'm quite happy to watch it on DVD and enjoy all the extras you get with said. COMEDY CENTRAL have already renewed this great show for another two seasons so lets all hope it runs for a lot longer than it did in its first incarnation. Long live FUTURAMA!
5 people found this helpful
on 16 June 2013
13 more episodes, typically futurama with many superb plots and charachters.
Definatley worth getting for any futurama fans

Note: The title sais "[NTSC]" (USA) though in the product description it sais "region 2" (europe) and all i can say is it works fine on my dvd player though i dont know whether i was lucky but i can say that this shouldnt let you be put off if your a futurama fan xD
One person found this helpful
on 8 November 2014
After watching series 1-4 then the movies I paused before buying the new futurama series: would be it be the same after such a long time inbetween series I wondered, or would it be futurama by numbers?
Well I need not have feared, if anything its evolved without losing its persona.
In short I can only quote futuramas hypno toad "buy it buy it buy it........"
on 23 April 2011
After three great movies (plus the lame 4th movie, "Into the Wild Green Yonder") it is great to have this excellent series back. And well worth the wait, with 13 excellent episodes. Realistically it is easier to have no dud episodes with such a short season, than some of the longer series, still an excellent return and the set promises a 6th series, so here's hoping. If you bought the first 4 series, do not hesitate to buy this excellent 5th series. Futurama 5 [Blu-ray] [US Import]
on 16 April 2012
I've read comment saying oh it only has 13 episodes and it's not really season 5, it's just half of season 6. Well first of all they're idiots because it shows on the picture of the cover that there are 13 new episodes and season 5 was really all the movies but Comedy Central decided to split season 6 in half and call the first half Season 5 and the second half will be released as season 6 (hope I'm making sense). Anyway, all that out of the way just want to say that this Blu-ray is amazing, the picture and sound is great. The episodes are just as good as the others. Overall a great set for any Futurama fans!
review imagereview imagereview image
3 people found this helpful
on 15 January 2015
finally got to see the newer seasons of futurama as i love this show! personally the first 4 seasons were better but i'm glad to see one of my favourites shows back. i didn't even know they made a new series of it on comedy central until recently so i decided to buy it as i didn't get the channel until christmas. glad i bought it though!
on 21 June 2012
Having, as so many others, been disappointed at the cancellation of Futurama, I was delighted to see its return. Everyone has their own tastes, of course, and I couldn't possibly account for everyone. However in my view, the best episodes of Season 5 are the best in the programs history. Particular highlights include "Attack of the Killer App", "The Late Philip J. Fry" and "That Darn Katz!". Unfortunately there are a couple of 'dud' episodes, but these are few and far between. It is not that they are 'bad' so to speak but lack the memorable nature of other episodes. "The Prisoner of Benda", was one such example in my opinion, perfectly passable but also forgettable.

At the end of the day, it is Futurama - if you liked previous series, you will like this one. however if you are new to the series, there has never been a better time to enjoy some of the most memorable episodes of the whole franchise.
on 2 February 2012
Popping the new series of 'Futurama' into my Blu-Ray player, I powered up the projector and hit PLAY.

The quality of the animation, the bright colours and the amazing surround sound were all fantastic, but none of that would matter if Futurama had failed to keep up the consistently funny and sometimes thought provoking writing from the series that was (stupidly) cancelled back in 2003.

After 4 straight to disc almost feature length movies released a couple of years ago, Futurama is back on the tv as a series again, and it's awesome.

If you're a fan buy it.