Customer reviews

Renaissance: The Masters Series
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 October 2011
This is another Dave Seaman CD where he has chosen to move away from his usual style of prog house and try something new. His last CD which was for GU set in Lithuania was also a break away from prog house in the form of CD1 on that record.
I'm glad that he is moving in new directions. I've heard dozens of his prog house CDs and even though I like them, they were getting a bit samey. If you are still a prog house fan then I can understand why you are a bit disappointed by this CD as the other reviewers seem to be. But in my opinion it is high time to go exploring wider genres of dance music because prog house has been done to death.
A good prog house CD is still classic dance music like Kenneth Thomas' CD for Perfecto records. But most of them tend to start sounding the same.
So, more about this CD. It is very cool, very ambient and very melodic minimal techno. Seaman shows that he is as good mixing and compiling this kind of music as any other. The tunes are catchy and charismatic. The thing is you really need to LIKE this type of dance music in order to enjoy this CD. Which the other reviewers don't seem to.
I'm always pleasantly surprised when a DJ breaks the mould of his style and does something new. It is a hit and miss affair, but this time the result is great.
The character of the CD is somewhat plodding and of the same tempo, but it is supposed to be. The effect is that you get a trancy, rhythmic drive through some great tunes - cleverly mixed together into a homogenous sound. That is one of the desired effects of minimal techno. I really like it. I also think it would be great to dance to, but I haven't tried it yet.
Great CD. 5 out of 5 from me.
on 19 December 2011
Quality mix if you like Dave Seaman. Exactly what you would expect and appreciate. I purchased this in response to a negative review that I couldn't believe was accurate, and it wasn't. If you have any doubts about this album, check out Daves Radio Therapy on his website, Frisky Radio and Soundcloud- and if you don't like any of that lot, apart from there being something wrong you won't like this! Me, I love it! Keep up the good work Dave and all at Renaissance.
on 1 November 2011
I disagree with some of the other reviewers on here.

A definite return to form for Renaissance and Dave Seaman. Seems Renaissance have emerged from liquidation too. Definitely more driving and uplifting -- as opposed to noodle, ploddy -- than recent Renaissance and GU Dave Seaman mixes.

Well worth a purchase.
on 12 October 2011
I've always had a soft spot for Dave Seaman mixes. In days gone by his use of accapellas and vocal tracks at just the right time always worked. What stops me from giving this latest release 5 stars is the similarity to other mixes he has done in recent years (GU39 and the Masters Series 7, 10 and 14). I'd love to hear a downbeat CD1 if possible in the same style as his Back to Mine mix (Seminal) or even some of the work Nick Warren did for his later Global Underground releases. That being said if you take these mixes in isolation they are excellently programmed and still maintain melody which i've found lacking on many other mixes apparently in the same genre. It's good to have Renaissance back.
on 17 September 2012
I was very pleased to hear this latest installment from Mr Seaman. The last outing was a bit dry. This reeked of of classic Dave Seaman I thought. Lots of nice bass guitar basslines and beautifully put together.

I'm not quite sure how anyone could describe the mix as minimal techno. It sounded rather progressive to me. Just because it's not the same as progressive house used to be in the early 2000's, dosn't mean it's not progressive. It was always a genre that was trying to push a new sound anyway, so surely you have to expect it to develop. Especially with the new technology available to make these new sounds.

Good tune selection and I didn't want the first disc to end.
on 15 October 2011
I have been greatly looking forward to this new Renaissance masters compilation from Dave Seaman for weeks now. However having listened to both CD's I think I can safely say that I was a little disappointed in the style of sounds Dave has chosen. I understand that it's part of a superstar DJ's job to make there sounds different & change the style of dance music from one compilation to the next, but I really feel that the style of music that MR Seaman has gone for on this New Masters CD is quite frankly un-exhilarating to slow & a bit boring.For me Renaissance compilations are about uplifting dance music that just makes you want to put on your best wardrobe & hit the clubs this one failed to do that I'm afraid.
on 31 October 2011
i dont know how anybody can give this a bad review its another sensational masterpiece by a true pioneer of dance music ! cd 2 absolutely blew me away ! job very well done dave !!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 21 October 2011
What happened to the days when you would be genuinely excited that a new Renaissance album was being released? Somewhere along the line, it was decided that the notion of more being less was appropriate for this legendary franchise, and that sophistication ran parallel with programming a setlist of minimal, awkward songs with silly names that were chosen because, hey, the song 'must' be good if I don't understand the title...

The fact is, Renaissance has long forgotten its roots and this album typifies how. It is nothing more than lifeless, plodding constructions of rhythm that send people to the bar rather than the dance floor. It is the DJ wallowing in his self importance, and believing that a streamlined, flawless choice of transitioning and mixing is more important than the choice of songs in the first place. Where is the art in that, I say. Why do the energy levels never rise or fall? Where are the exciting transitions between different mixes of the same composition?

I fully accept that it is Renaissance's nature to try and shake things up - try something new if you like - but you could hand anyone this album and they simply wouldn't be able to describe 'what' it is. And until Renaissance do decide to return to creative practice and actually follow-up with an album that relives our favourite club nights under the influence of progressive house, then they won't be getting another penny off me.
33 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 November 2011
Just a quick review until I have time to write a better one - this is just incredible, don't understand any of the reviews below 4 stars, at all, unless it's just not their taste but that's no reason to give a poor review.

Dave Seaman is a master in his field and has not dissapointed me yet and I have pretty much all of his albums starting from way back.

As with most non-commercial trance albums - listen again......
on 20 November 2011
This mix gets an easy 5 stars from me. A thoroughly enjoyable and well selected set of tunes that are totally addictable and fresh . I agree its not what Seaman normally plays and i'm glad. This is also far better that his GU39 compilation which i enjoyed parts of, but was soon confined to the attic.