Customer reviews

The Planets - Organ Transcriptions by Peter Sykes
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 January 2013
I'm quite fond of transcriptions of well-known pieces, but some remain novelties, some are best sampled once and most have me reaching for the original. I also love my surround sound - SACD, DVD-A etc and my subwoofer!

To cut it short, I think this transcription and performance are great and certainly imbue the Planets suite with a familiarity and difference which does not detract from the many orchestral versions I have (Karajan, Dutoit, Boult, Davis, Levine).

The recording is excellent and has a 5.1 soundtrack (many classical recordings are 5.0) so my subwoofer is called to duty and helps to span the wide dynamics of a church organ. The surround mix is interesting as there seems to be more use made of the rear channels. There is a lot of depth and you do feel as though you are standing deep into the church.

This recording has been nominated for a Grammy. For me, it reminds me why I love surround sound and why I love Holst's Planets.
on 8 June 2017
Different
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 November 2016
Can I give it six stars, Love it fantastic, that sound on the right system just is a wall of emotion
on 20 March 2016
Very good not as expected. I came across this on youtube initially.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 February 2012
It is not often that there is an inter instrument transcription as good as this.
A very inspirational disc for an evening at home.
Put your feet up, pour a drink and just let the music wash over you.