Customer reviews

Lulu (Deluxe Book 2CD Edition)
Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£29.00+ £1.26 shipping

on 18 April 2017
Not to most metal fans taste but I happen to be very eclectic in my listening choices. This was really chilled out and definitely a Lou Reed album rather than (as often touted) a Metallica album I was pleasantly surprised (being a massive Met fan) but really enjoyed this. Deserves repeat listenings, particularly if it's not part of your normal listening repertoire.
on 15 June 2017
excellent album from lou reed and metallica , one for my collection
on 20 September 2017
good
on 26 July 2017
Excellent
on 6 October 2013
not into or out of metallica as a band, heard very little of their music,would I be interested now I heard Lulu? not really,if I hadn't heard much of the killers before that masterpiece with lou reed would I be interested? definitely yes..but having said all that metallica were absolutely awesome on Lulu.I play guitar ok, but you know when you hear those special pieces of guitar work? to me, it was all over the album, and not a bad drummer too! for whatever reason my pc wouldn't rip the 1st tracks on both cd's or #7 on cd2 frustration (aptly titled) I have heard a lot of lou reed I have got a lot too, and the only way I can explain myself better over this album is to say I don't think the magic would have been there for lou without metallica and I am listening to 'junior dad' and I love it! but I loved the others on 1st hearing also.Not sure if I heard right that its music for a play? (I liked the Timerocker lou did)I would listen to Lulu before a few lou 1980 specials to be honest..i love words and only briefly looked over the Lulu lyrics and hes out there is our Lou, out their on his own for the dirty direct shit-street vernacular, nothing comes close to 'street hassle' and I love the ways he uses his voice with some decent backing vocals from metallica too.I don't know how one lou reed 'fan' who wrote a review I read a good while ago and he done his top 10 or something lou reed albums and he slagged 'coney island baby' off!!! so we all have our weirdosities..in short I will now buy Lulu on vinyl because after reading a lot of bad criticism aimed at it I got the cd 1st..only because it could wait and I bought a nico live lp and velvet underground lp that used up a bit of dosh..LULU 4/5 It is quite brilliant!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 March 2014
Lou Reed had the kind of voice and singing style that meant he could be set against any background of noise - had he decided to sing with a philharmonic orchestra, it would probably have worked.

Looking through the reviews, this has clearly been a very divisive album. There is plenty of trademark Metallica on here, but ultimately, this is Lou's album...but what a class backing band!

This is an album that needs to be worked at. It is often intense, at times peculiar and sometimes repetitive. the lyrics can also appear to be leftfield. However, as an album it works. This odd marriage of talent has produced something rather unique and as a fan of Lou, I find it curiously compelling listening.

His voice sounds older, at times frail and this coupled with Metallica's driving rhythm can be quite mesmerising.

Highlights for me include 'Brandenburg Gate', 'the rather touching 'Junior Dad'. I found 'Mistress Dread' hard work.

Give it a go, but an open mind is essential and please be prepared to give it time.
on 11 August 2015
This is not a Metallica album. It is a Lou Reed album on which Metallica provide the backdrop. It's a challenging listen; lyrically it didn't make a lot of sense to me, but at least you can hear the words clearly and Lou sings with commitment, like someone who feels strongly and passionately about whatever it is he is on about. There are moments of heavy riffage, moments of repetitive rambling, lyrics that some might find offensive and moments which in which the voice and the music blend in a thoroughly satisfying way. It reminded me of Sonic Youth in some ways, a band that I love. It is an album that needs to be listened to rather than just played in the background. Try it when alone on a long car journey with the volume up and you might enjoy some of it.
on 15 September 2017
Metallica are jamming thrashy riffs and Lou Reed is babbling/rambling like some old drunkard. The lyrical themes are often cringe-worthy but that's the original content (partly?) to blame; it's based on a play which contains sexual themes. I found a lot of songs were overly long and often this was due to repetition. There's some decent music on here and I like that it often sounds improvised, but I feel that it lacks cohesion with what Lou Reed is doing. James Hatfield contributes vocals occasionally but even he sounds off form; almost like he is dumbing down his vocals in an attempt to match Lou Reed. The album is really long and becomes a chore to listen to; you really need to split it across two sessions to get through it. They could have easily cut large parts of the songs and made them more tolerable. Overall, it's a bit of a mess and your enjoyment probably comes down to how much you like Lou Reed.
on 2 November 2014
In all honesty this was far better than I expected..I have waited for the dust to settle on this release and now that it's at a price I was willing to risk paying well...I bought it.
In honesty this is far from being the best metallica release and although I don't have too much the bits I have suggest this may not be Lou Reeds finest neither.
That said there's much to like I like Reeds vocal on this a kind of ragged low baritone that spits out words and the only real problem I have with the release is it maybe doesn't deliver its full potential.
The best stuff on this release to my ears was found on the second CD ,despite enjoying metallica I found the second CD less like them eschewing a traditional rock sound and created a more ambient soundscape which suited the material more in my opinion,In fact listening to the second CD made me wonder how much better this could have been if say Earth had been the collaborative party.
Part of the problem I think is Metallica have a established sound which is difficult for them to break from, they have been truly innovative through their career and so have a great scope of sound however this CD fails to reflect this.
There is a emphasis on a traditional rock sound on many of the tracks which I think holds this back..there are flashes of brilliance mind you and it's not half as bad as it's been made out to be.
Fair dues to Metallica too for at least trying this..it was always going to be a hard sell.
on 19 November 2015
The last album from the greatest innovator in rock music. Sure its a difficult listen at first, just like Berlin was, all those years ago. Lou could have made another Transformer over and over again, but that was the genius of the man, forever pushing the limits to something new. Given time, when we all catch up,' LULU' will be honoured as another rock classic. Just wish Lou was still around and continuing to make us sit up and listen. R.I.P. Lou.