on 29 December 2011
I've been delighted with my OptioRZ18 as an upgrade from the previous OptioS12 that I used. The panoramic and wide angle stitching facilities of the new model are features I particularly enjoy in my landscape work. It's 16 megapixel resolution in combination with the impressive 18x optical zoom means that I can pick out compositions of interest in a much wider range of situations than before. The much improved screen size and brightness are a joy. It's excellent image resolution for such a compact camera is also especially valuable when it comes to printing at A3+ sizes.
55 Comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 April 2012
Years ago I had a popular brand SLR film camera, I went touring with a friend who had bought a tiny Pentax for the trip. When our prints were developed I was amazed how much better my friends prints turned out, all bright and vibrant, in comparison mine looked dull and drab. I remembered that trip when I was looking for a new camera and decided there and then that it had to be a Pentax.

The Optio RZ18 is a powerhouse in a small package, from Macro to full Zoom the images and colour rendition are amazing. It has more features than you can shake a stick at or you can use it in manual mode if you want total control. Indoors or outdoors the camera handles the light perfectly with it's excellent zoom lens, autofocus is always spot on. The large screen is nice and bright and the controls all fall to hand and are easy to master without having to refer to the operating manual.
For myself it does all I require of it, and more. Bought as a replacement for my old 4 mega pixel 3x optical zoom camera the difference is staggering, although costing roughly twice the price the RZ18 is in a totally different league.

Battery life is very good and the battery can be recharged with the supplied charger in less than two hours.
It would have been nice to have a little basic pouch supplied with it but I suppose these days manufacturers are looking to produce products at the best price in a competitive market.
on 28 July 2012
Having lost or had stolen my Pentax Optio L30 during a recent holiday in Majorca I decided to order a replacement. I had a look at several other manufacturers but decide that as my previous Pentax had given me reliable service for the last 6 years I would get another Pentax. Spotted this one good price fantastic spec. Read the reviews nearly put of by the comments that it is plastic, but remembered that my son has a £700+ Canon DSLR which is plastic. My old Pentax looked to be metal but was plastic with a thin metal skin. I believe that most digital cameras now use enginnered plastic. In any event if you drop it it doesn't matter whether its plastic or metal it will damage it. My old Pentax had a number of marks small indentations in its metal skin. In my view there is nothing wrong with the finish or appearance of the camera. Another comment regarding the complexity of the camera was ignored, yes there are a lot of options but you don't have to use them all, you can if you so choose use it like the old Kodak Brownie point and shoot. The very bright view finder is a vast improvement on my old camera and the quality of the photos is first class. Its slightly larger than my old camera but it packs a whole lot more in and I find it easier to hold securely. Looking forward to taking 1000's of pictures on my 8GB SD card that I purchased at the same time. Before I forget well done Amazon ordered 23rd delivered 27th 2nd class post, everything that I have ever order from you seems to come Post Haste.

Update, I found a remote control for £1.80 inc P&P from Tmart a Hong Kong based company expect extended delivery time but works extremely well.
VINE VOICEon 23 February 2012
I bought this for £115.99, at which price it is an absolute steal. The operation is simple and the layout quite ergonomic. It has an outrageous 18 x zoom, a good anti-shake and menus which are easy to use. There are a variety of modes, of which the panorama is the stand-out. It is really easy to control the flash between different modes and the HD video works well, though you can't zoom while shooting. The optics produce good resolution and work well with the 16mp sensor. I'm not technical enough to discuss noise, but the results I have had so far have been impressive. I'm going to carry this everywhere and am looking forward to using it at a wedding in May. It would have been nice to have a viewfinder, but very few modern compacts do. The metallic orange colour is less boring than black and white.
Troubled Waters (Walter and Godiva)
22 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 April 2012
My wife's Fine pix battery compartment broke so I had to find a new camera for her,
She wanted a simple one but which would take good party photo's as well as ones of her new niece.
This camera do's this and more, simple to use she can take pic's in a array of formats from macro to panoramic.
After showing her how to use it she was a way and the pictures are as good as my bigger SLR.

I even want one for carrying around.

No more AA batteries as it comes with its own rechargeable pack.
Its a good idea to buy another one though.
on 3 December 2012
I have a larger heavier camera which I like using but unfortunately, after breaking both shoulders, I find the weight is too much for me to handle and wanted to have a small light camera with the same specification. After searching I found this little compact camera with a lovely big zoom, which I use a lot. The macro suits me perfectly as well. A small light weight camera which does as much and more than my larger camera. The only drawback is the lack of a small eye viewfinder, which is a common factor on these small compact cameras, I do miss the smaller viewfinder espicially in bright conditions - I take a lot of shots and hope one of them is the one I want. It is a pleasure to carry around either in my pocket or handbag. I'm glad I purchased this camera which I use a lot and, as with all new purchases, I experimented with different shots etc and am pleased with the rests. Thank you for a product which is a pleasure to use. Yes I would recommend this to a friend.
on 5 March 2012
I have bought Nikon SLR in the past but the latest versions are too pricey for my needs today.I decided on the Pentax as it is small enough to fit into a pocket, 16MP with a super 18X zoom which allows great pictures to be taken. The large view screen is also an added bonus. Build quality is great as I would expect from Pentax so I am very pleased and satisfied with this camera. You do need to add cards to save pictures and video but that is normal these days.This is very good value for money in my opinion with lots of photo shooting options.
on 3 September 2012
I purchased this camera for my wife to replace a Pentax Digital SLR, which we were not carrying around due to its weight and bulk. We are extremely pleased with it. The camera takes a standard SD Card, the same card that was in our other camera.

The battery and card are accessed through a simple to operate door, and easily inserted and extracted.

In use the menu system is simple and intuitive. It was no problem to switch the camera into Macro mode to take some close ups with the 18x zoom lens. Its produced some good pictures.

We chose this camera as I have a pocket Pentax Optio camera which has taken brilliant holidays snaps and I carry everywhere when away just clipped to my rucksack straps. This camera is slightly more bulky but the zoom capability makes up for that.

We would certainly recommend this purchase and would probably continue buying Pentax Cameras.
on 8 August 2012
I already had a Pentax in the past, so I wanted to upgrade to a more modern one. For the price I bought it (about £110 if I remember), it has a spectacular zoom and the pictures are incredibly still even at night outside or with moving subjects. The videos are OK, altough they seem me too small to be HD, possibly I didn't get the settings right. The time for recording data and showing the picture on screen is really short, so I'm happy with its response speed. The battery has a very good endurance and can shoot a lot of pictures and videos before exhausting. I generally use it intensely for 5 days and it lasts even much more (I'd say... a 100 pictures at best quality and a 30 minute video with no problems). It's quite light and the orange colour is really stylish. There are many presets, so it's quite easy to swich from one to another in different situations.
on 31 July 2013
I needed a replacement for a compact camera that had broken, & I wanted one with a decent zoom, good megapixel & at a reasonable price. After spending a long time reading reviews of a wide variety of cameras I decided to try the 18x zoom offered on this Pentax & I am extremely pleased I did. It has a good wide angle ,zooming to a whopping 18times with only a small loss of quality at the extreme range, the auto face recognition works well & the focus on macro let's you take very good close ups down to about 6 inches.i reviewer had trouble with fitting the battery but I had no problem at all. There are many different 'mode' settings for different types of photography & I am still experimenting with them. All in all a very decent camera with many advanced features, perfect when you don't want to lug a large slur & lenses around