Customer reviews

on 16 June 2017
Product as expected
on 16 November 2011
First of all this is a much more polished product in terms of typographical mistakes than the others, there are no errors of note at all.

This novel follows in the same vein as the previous book. The action is more personal to the characters, which means the reader isn't overwhelmed with characters that have a limited life span. However, the main characters aren't explored in any more depth and even though it is book four I still don't really feel in touch with the characters.

The action is fast paced and the introduction of large scale fleet battles was welcome. Fleet battles can be confusing for a reader but I managed to keep track of events and positions easily enough. This may have been due to the author keeping the battle on a single plain as opposed to using the entire three dimensions available. This of course impacts upon realism but it didn't really occur to me at the time.

There is an effort by the author to add complexity and depth to the story. There are a large number of intriguing threads but due to the amount meant they weren't dealt with fully or developed enough within the confines of this novel. Hence, I'm left waiting for the next book but feel cheated and little overwhelmed with questions. This feeling is exacerbated by a rather abrupt ending, which is a shocking grinding halt. I feel as though I've read half a book. I am looking forward to the next; if he doesn't finish the series now I won't be happy.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 November 2011
This is still not the best military sci fi and it does not, in my view, deserve four stars and even less five. There are still a number of typos, although not half as many, and this is a nuisance more than anything else.

However, there are a number of significant improvments. The plot, with the build up to a great space battle, is better planned, although not very original (again, we have spaceships using one of Nelson's tactics) t and this makes the book more exciting: definitly better than Book 3 which I found rather lame. I do like the description of the various ship types but would want to learn more about the Confederation, its history and the previous war that is always referred to but on which we learn precious nothing. I would also like to learn more about the Confederation's institutions, and society. Here again, the reader is reduced to the bare bones and has been ever since Volume 1 (Siege of Titan)...

Having said this, this book still has some of the usual flaws found in the previous volumes:
- it is much preferable to read the books in order, meaning that each of the books is not self-sufficient and they tend to break off without properly tying up a story, giving the impression that the author finished the volume after hitting the njumber of pages requested and no matter were that left the story
- the characters, as usual, are two-dimensional or stand out as caricatures. A typical example is that of Admiral Jarvis, of which we know next to nothing and which we see strutting around her command deck or making lifting speeches in each volume of the series. Most of the characters are not particularly interesting or not particularly credible. One example in this episode is Captain Hoods, although I'll stop there to avoid any spoilers.

By and large, it's certainly worth reading and better than the previous volume but it is still not among the best military sci fi.
on 19 January 2012
The confed are struggling now as the Zealots have taken charge of over half the colonies, their commander knows if she can get at least one back there is a chance, and they decide to try for Proxima.
As the Vanguards start out as a new unit, they face the enemies without and the critics within. Can Spartan keep them in line as the new unit leader? As Spartan battles on the ground the fleet are involved in a space war with all the ships being involved, keeping the book constantly moving forwards at an incredible pace.

Kirstyanne Ross Author of Old Magick
on 31 May 2014
I have been enjoying the series from start, its fast flowing and can be funny in parts look forward to next one.
on 16 December 2012
another book I couldn't put down, as part of a series it was well worth the read, but then I am a Sci Fi Nut
on 23 January 2014
Michael G. Thomas is a really good author , and I always look for books by him for a good read .
on 19 November 2011
I just received my paperback of Proxima and it is very clear the story is building for something epic. Operation Perdition gets going in this book and we finally get to see some hardcore combat with the Jotnar and the Vanguards. The Thunderbolt fighters have a big part to play in this book. In my opinion this book is the closest to Star Wars in the entire series.
on 26 February 2012
I can not really comment much on these as I have not read them, my husband downloaded them onto his Kindle with no problems, and he has read it and didn't say it wasn't any good so I can only presume its ok to read.
on 29 October 2014