on 20 October 2012
This book had some good ideas and had potential to become something really interesting. It delivers in some ways if a little slow in other areas. Some interesting ideas and splashes of humour in the novel. Gets a little bogged down at times, then the author seems to suddenly realize that the story needs to move on and then it takes us into new realms yet again. As I have said, a little slow in places with some rather laboured techno babble which I skimmed over, but on the whole I enjoyed it and would recommend it as an unusual aside for Sci Fi readers. Some interesting analogies included about what classifies a belonging to this or that race and also when should a being be considered to be sentient. I particularly liked the new terminology he has conjured up in order to describe a hermaphrodite artificial robot and the possibilities of how humans and other beings might evolve over many thousands of years.
on 11 July 2012
Oh dear! There are some good ideas in the book but spoilt by some writer issues. Why must some authors create names for characters that cannot be deciphered so the reader wastes time trying to sort out what there name is. Chris' Hindu mythology may be correct but his science is off "with the stars before us shrunk almost to a single red point, the stars behind a small cluster of blue." Sorry Chris star moving away are red shifted so the ones behind are red and the ones in front blue! If there is a sequel I don't think I'll be reading it.
on 29 March 2014
At around 50% through this book I felt there had been no plot progression, there was too much explanation, brought on by how widely different this future is from the present. At 70% through there was at last movement through a plot, though it was basically just that, movement, still no real story arcs.

The story itself really happened in the last 30% of the book, and at times could be exciting in it's own right. However, I feel that the most interesting part of this book could have been an exploration of a culture that was forcibly cut off from the rest of civilisation, which unfortunately did not really happen. the iron mass, the chief villains in the story, were instead 1 dimensional killing machines that had not really changed in character over 5000 years, despite not extending their lifespan like the rest of the civilisation.

All in all, the story part of the book was exciting, but it was flat and such a minor part of the book that I was left feeling disappointed.
on 16 June 2012
Further: Beyond The Threshold is a thoroughly enjoyable book with just a few issues.

Chris Roberson paints an intriguing view of the universe some 12000 years in the future. All viewed from the point of the hero (who is only from a few hundred years in the future) there is a feeling of great depth to the world, however one of the issues was that a large proportion of the book was given over to describing this fantastic future.

The story proper is good, with character development and good twists, if a bit predictable. The story felt somewhat short because so much of the book is given to a meandering focus describing the world and histories of the universe.

It feels like it is going to be the beginning of a fascinating series, though that may be wishful thinking on my part!
-=-

To sum up I would recommend this book to any sci-fi fans. I would have given it 5 Stars but it felt a bit un-focused at times, but this adds to the depth and charm of the story.
on 19 May 2016
I bought it because New York Times said it was good and it was pretty ok. I had to use the dictionary function often and some of the words were not defined therein but were understandable. It's a good story with somewhat robotic characters, even the human ones, but I enjoyed the book.
on 25 July 2012
I bought it on the Kindle before going on holiday not knowing the author and to be honest not expecting all that much. Reading it was a really nice surprise.

Being a collection and the early works of Chris Robertson you can see the evolution from a swashbuckling adventure (group of rebels vs the world) to more traditional Sci-Fi. Is it perfect, no (it does take a while to get going). Is it a lot of book for £3.99, yes. It's convinced me to read more from the author.
on 3 June 2012
This book has a good plot which is spoilt by unnecessarily long descriptions of how some of the space ships are powered and some weak characters with simple dialogue that takes you no-where. It would be a great holiday read, provided you skip the technical bits. It might suit a "science fiction" mad teenager better.
on 25 June 2012
Usually I'm a fantasy reader, but I got this on recommendation of a friend. Can't say that I love it, a bit too far out of my reading comfort zone, but I did like it and will keep an eye out for other Sci-Fi stuff.
The main character comes from our short term future, but ends up in the distant future. The most intriguing part of that was how the author imagined the future might remember us.
on 3 August 2014
A well crafted piece in which all the stepping stones to a greater body of work are laid, doesn't quite work as a standalone book and bears more than a nod or two to other writers. Iain banks even gets a namecheck and the influence is quite clear, it's just a shame it doesn't really have much to go beyond the ideas already set up by the likes of Banks, Asimov etc. An enjoyable read nonetheless.
on 7 April 2014
if you like extreme sfiction/sfantasy you will enjoy this,it was too weird for me,in my sci/fi period(30years ago)I would have"got this"buy it if you are a big fan of the genre