on 10 January 2011
It is quite easy to miss that all these reviews, bar one, are nothing to do with the Kindle edition (Cotton's translation) but refer to Screech's modern Penguin Classic's edition. Although a sub-heading for the reviews points this out it is not something which will be readily noticed by the reader-in-a-hurry and is therefore very misleading. Similarly the one-star review appears on the Penguin Classics edition page---equally misleading. Amazon compounds this confusion by offering the print and Kindle editions on the same page as if they were the same edition. Only when you go to the 'details' page do you realise they are not. Given the enormous popularity of Kindle this confusion will presumably be replicated countless times unless Amazon does something about it.
on 4 January 2013
This is a great book, but there's no point in paying for this kindle edition - there are free ones which do the same job. It's a real pity that neither this or, as far as I can see, any of the currently available free editions have an active table of contents. The cheap Florio edition does, but it's a pretty antiquated translation.

This is a huge book designed for browsing and skipping between essays - can't do that without being able to navigate the book properly!
on 28 December 2010
While I agree with many of the reviewers about the value of this book per se, I would dispute the favourable reviews given to this edition. The transaltion dates from 1870 and compared to my (paper) Penguin Classics edition its a very poor translation indeed. I doubt whether most modern readers will get the true pleasure to be had from this book in the edition offerred here - albeit at bargain price. Do yourselves a favour and get the Penguin Classics edition
on 6 February 2014
Ok, I give up. Call me weak willed, call me a Philistine; I couldn't finish this book of collected essays.

The book is delivered in dense sentences, with sub-clause after sub-clause after comma after hanging participle. While the language itself is very accessible, the roundabout style often left me wondering which parentheses went with which and, more to the point, what the thread of the writer was.

I also struggled with the constant references to classical literature: Cicero, Socrates, Aenid among others. I've read some more contemporary literature and enjoyed it, but my lack of classical education meant that even though the references were well explained, I was unable to grasp the context.

The book is probably best suited to those with more of a grasp of philosophy, and probably best read as separate essays at the readers leisure rather than one big lump.

I found the section I read quite hard going with very little reward. It's not a book to which I'll return to in a hurry, if at all.
on 8 March 2013
One of the great things about Kindle is that I can have Montaigne with me everywhere I go. He never lets you down. Considering the price, it feels a bit mean not to give it five stars, but the limited navigability is a bit of a drawback.
on 22 May 2013
A wonderful, varied set of essays from one of the top Renaissance thinkers. Worth reading/dipping into - despite Montaignes assertion in the foreword that you shouldn't waste your time on his musings. Dive in - you won't regret it.
on 23 March 2013
Good read. The man was a genius - a very enlightening discourse on what it is to be a human being...what else is there to say?
on 27 July 2013
I bought this for my Kindle to save rummaging in the attic for my old Penguin paperback, but I only read a couple of sentences of the clunky translation before deleting it and heading for the ladder!
on 2 February 2013
Everyone should read Montaigne. He truly teaches us how to live .His message , largely transmitted from ancient Greece and Rome is as relevant today as it was in antiquity
on 12 August 2013
Great work; everyone should read it. However, this edition does not make it easy to dip in and out, which is how it is best read.
I will have to buy another edition.