Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 November 2012
Searching for Arraus 1980s recordings of the Beethoven Sonatas, I had hopes for this box... As no seller could tell me if they were the 60s or 80s recordings, I bought the box, opened it - and they are the 1960s recordings.
No reason to be disappointed - except that I already own them...
So I hope this review will help other Arrau admirers not to accidentally double this item in their Sonata collection.

Decca released almost the same music (plus some piano variations on 12 CDs) within one year:

Beethoven: The Piano Sonatas

Sound: Great (for the sixties!), Musical value: GREAT!!!
Serious, noble, "heavy" Beethoven in the best sense - nobody plays Beethoven this way today... (see other user's reviews,
for example here:

on 21 May 2013
I first discovered Arrau when Philips issued several box sets(of LP's)to commemorate his 80th birthday,and have been a firm admirer ever since.There are many recordings of the Beethoven sonatas,indeed it seems every mediocre pianist of today feels they must tackle them.Few,if any,can stand the test of time,unlike these magnificent recordings,the greatest of the great,for me the ultimate set,and I have many.
Sound quality is fabulous,much better than that for,say,Gilels,immeasurably better then Schnabel,and so on.This particular set is Italian Universal,I think,and comes in two clamshell jewel boxes,taking up slightly more room than the paper sleeved box also issued in the Collector's series,and shorn of the Diabellis...but no matter,for the price I paid,and the quality herein,I am more than satisfied. Classical in every sense of the word.
NB Amazon seem to confused this with another item,the contents displayed are incorrect.Herein are all of the Beethoven piano sonatas.
on 11 June 2013
Arrau is the most profound Beethoven interpreter, and this reissue in a very inexpensive box set is a winner. Apparently, this hasn't been remastered, which is a good thing, considering the original CD issue from the 80s had excellent sound. Despite being a cheap set, it comes with notes.
on 22 February 2015
Out of this world - THE Master meets THE Master.