Secret Symphony
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 July 2017
What amazing music. What a beautiful and expressive voice. Every track a joy. My musical taste is normally classical, choral, and opera, but this is something else. I might be an old f*** heading for seventy and I can say quite honestly that this is the finest music I have ever heard. Thank you to all concerned.
on 31 October 2015
Secret Symphony well maybe we all like secrets I'm sure I'm in love with this album. Not just because it is a beautiful album but also here is a secret Katie Melua, I met in Birmingham, 2006 I knew nothing of her only what she told me that day. I was looking for my bus at the time and was struggling as I'm partially sighted and was having problems finding the bus station. I saw this lovely young lady across the street could only make out her outline until she crossed over and came close to me to chat. She had lovely dark hair like silk. And was about same height as me. I suppose you could say in a word I was spellbound especially by her eyes but I never said anything about them of course how amazing they were. Instead I asked where the bus station was. She said she didn't know, she was not from the area. But to cut a long story short I asked other questions; where was she from, what does she do and where she presently lives. She said she is from Georgia originally, (next to Russia) that she sings and presently lives in London. I just couldn't think what else to say, after all what did I know about music? Not much. Though I thought of number of things, but knew they could sound daft. I wanted to make good first impression because she was so lovely. So maybe she saw I was awe struck and smiling she pointed to where buses were coming from. Then she said politely "I really must go now". I thanked her for her kind help and hoped I would see her again someday, then several month later my friend who was autistic wanted to learn to play guitar and we found a free guitar website called justinguitar and there I saw Katie's picture, Justin had taught her to play guitar from scratch. I have since been to see Katie 3 times in concert. And gladly bought all her albums and recent single. Katie, never told me she was famous of course, but maybe she knew I might find her again.
VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 February 2013
The wonderful velvety voice of Katie Melua is mellow and melodic - and that also goes for the excellent selection of numbers on this `Secret Symphony' CD together with their fairly orchestrated presentation. It is a relaxed and rhythmic easy listening CD that is perhaps less passionate than earlier recordings, but it contains typical Mike Batt combinations, and it demonstrates the wide range of Katie Melua's singing - particularly with a more up tempo `Moonshine' and a jazzy `Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out'. Unfortunately I feel compelled to grant only 4-star rating as with a mere 11 tracks, a total playing time of under 38 minutes, and a CD sleeve with hardly any information it is poor value for money. If the haunting lyrics had been included in writing I'd have awarded 5-stars.
on 25 January 2015
This review is for the sound quality of the record, not for the songs. I love KM-whatever she does is fantastic. Neither is this review about the marketplace seller who will remain nameless but should get 5 star reviews because of absolutely superb customer service.
The record plays ok on side 1, side 2, entire side is so full of crackling that music part was undecipherable. If anyone else had this problem, please report to the manufacturer. The Vinyl was not cheap- so why such crappy pressing. It gives records a bad name.
on 23 April 2012
This album is absolutely beautiful. Katie's natural, pure, voice and style come over even more on this recording. She is a joy to listen to. Even at the end of the day, you can play this disc whilst relaxing in the sitting room and it does not intrude on your winding down - it just enhances it. Then I usually replay it more softly in the background whilst I do some last minute work on the computer. Mike Batt's orchestration is the perfect foil to Katie's singing - a great team. I especially enjoy 'All Over The World' by Francoise Hardy which takes me back to when she herself recorded it - and just as lovely by Katie.
on 5 January 2013
"Secret Symphony" is a fine album from Katie Melua. Her performance and material are excellent. Songs include "Gold In Them Hills" by Canadian singer/songwriter Ron Sexsmith, "Better than A Dream" and The Bit That I Don't Get". It's a very relaxing album, but just when you've settled down to listen, you suddenly hit a change of tempo on Track 4, "Moonshine". More relxaing fare follows, but we go uptempo again on Track 9, "Heartstrings" Among the 15 tracks on offer you will find a cover of Francoise Hardy's "All Over The World" and another cover of a much older song "Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out". I also loved "The Walls Of The World" and the title track.

The Bonus Tracks (known as the "Secret Sessions") are "Feels Like Home" by Randy Newman, "Too Long At The Fair" by Joel Zoss and two covers of well known past hits, "Love Me Tender" (Elvis Presley) and "It's Over" (Roy Orbison).

The live concert includes tracks from Katie's previous albums as well as live performances of 10 of the original 11 "Secret Symphony" tracks. The song she didn't include was "Forgetting All My Troubles". I loved the concert disc as well as the studio album. It is worth listending to even if you have the original version of "Secret Symphony". A beautiful experience.
on 1 January 2013
Katie Melua is back to her individual, expressive and interesting best with this balanced, relaxing collection of songs both new and old. Before I knew it the CD had ended and I had to press the start button again, and again ..... Sometimes when you listen to the excerpts of each song and then decide to buy a CD you can be disappointed with the album. Not this one - 'delighted' would be the adjective that I choose.
on 8 September 2016
This album took a while to grow on me as I felt it was a little back to safe territory after she broke new ground with House. But indeed it has grown on me and I highly recommend it!
on 9 December 2012
I now have four of Katie Melua's CDs. Each one has it's own quality and she manages to bring a new slant into her music. Secret Symphony is fresh and exciting with more of jazz and blues developing especially in tracks 4 and 7. I believe that this artist will go on to develop even more as each CD she brings out seems even better than the last. She is so talented and has such soul. Secret Symphony is absolutely great, probably her best to date.
on 8 July 2012
I wont review this track by track as others have already done a fine job of this previously. All I have to say is Katie is back at her supreme best doing what she is good at. Attempts at being a rock chick I am glad to say have been dropped.

Instead beautifully crafted songs sung with absolute clarity and pure emotion. Just put your feet up, pour a large glass of wine and let the music flow over you, this album is superb!!