on 19 October 2009
Now we are both in our seventies we found we were making navigational errors, and then getting more stressed attempting to find our way back on course! Friends had recommended SatNav in general and TomTom in particular. After a few weeks scanning descriptions and reviews we plumped for the TomTom XL IQ. It was delivered within a few days and I then spent an evening with it plugged into my computer, sorting out what had to be done over the internet - a straightforward but time-consuming process.

On almost all SatNav-worthy journeys we find it more convenient to have the unit on the passengers lap rather than fiddle with the mount. We also leave the cord connected as inserting and extracting the connector is a pain - very poor design here. The two units live in a pair of old short socks in a drawer at home or in handbag or rucksack away - a remarkably cheap solution!

In use the unit is very reassuring, with both visual and audible instructions usually coming in good time; it's particularly helpful lnowing how far to the next junction. However there is no audible warning if you are crossing a main road - it just assumes you will go straight over! It has only let us down badly on two occasions, the first when it gave no audible warning of an important turn off the road and we shot past the junction; however it then quickly recalculated the route, but it was through the centre of a town we should have by-passed! The other occured when we needed instructions leaving a large educational establishment SW of Horsham only to discover that it didn't know where we were, and we had to drive on instinct for four miles until it rediscovered our whereabouts. On occasions the turn instruction comes rather later than is helpful.

I wish it were easier to intsruct the unit to plot a route using waymarks so that it takes you the way you want.

On the whole we are very pleased with our purchase and the reduction in strain we have already experienced.
on 25 July 2009
This is my first TomTom and it's great, easy to use straight out the box. Only had it a couple of days but I am very happy to give it 5 stars so far. All of the features look excellent to me, Advanced Lane guidance, wide screen, EasyPort mount. I am also pleased with the TomTom carry case, although I can see the advantages to the larger hard case, cheaper for a start, this one is lower profile and will fit in front pouch of my laptop case, marvelous.

Previous reviews give good advice with regard to completing a backup BEFORE starting any update via TomTom Home, just cancel the update and look for the Backup menu option, easy, note my backup took nearly an hour. I had no need for the backup though the update worked first time, less than 15 mins. I have a regular speed broadband connection, from other reviews I was expecting a much longer update time.

I would definitely recommend this unit. It is very well designed, quick, simple and intuitive.
on 29 December 2015
I never received this from Amazon but bought it from high street and this has served me well for the last 3 years.
The maps are good and take right to the point where I want. The screen size is just perfect and voice quality is excellent.
An excellent product from TomTom. The regular updates which users make to the maps give an updated map and speed camera details and can easily avoid paying TomTom to update maps yearly.
on 6 March 2015
Works fine, but had problems registering. Apparently I was not the only one acording to the internet. Got there in the end. This SatNav is an impprovement on the previous 'XL' that failed and did not cost much more than a repair on the old one whould have done.
on 28 January 2014
A fantastic product. We used this to get to a remote location in France and it took us to the front door. My only gripes are the awkward socket on the the bottom is difficult to get the power lead in and Tom Tom don't seem to update their system very often. Despite regularly updating the Tom Tom it still doesn't recognise road changes that were implemented several years ago.
on 10 April 2017
Essential accessory
on 9 March 2017
GREAT
on 9 March 2017
One of the best NAVS in its category.