on 10 October 2017
Equal with Gormenghast, the best book I have ever read. Whenever I read Mervyn Peake, I am aware I am in contact with the mind of a genius.
on 1 November 2017
I have been looking for these tapes since 1994, I am so happy to have found them after losing my original tapes back then.
on 20 June 2013
Titus comes across as a spoilt teenager and the other characters are stereotypical caricutures but the story still keeps one listening. The adopted voices stretch across continents in a rather anachronistic way but they work.
Science is seen as an evil thing and scientists as evil people. The factory in which the windows are seen to contain rows and rows of identical faces is the symbol against which the country-livers are set. It's all romantic tosh but does draw one into the conceit - with odd characters appearing and disappearing along the way
on 11 May 2017
I read this many years ago( and still have it in my bookcase )and thought I would treat myself to the audio book. This production far exceeds my expectations .
on 5 January 2015
This is an amazing book- a fantasy which should be rivalling Lord of the Rings in its fame but which has, sadly, been a little forgotten... However, this is a phenomenal book, the characters are quirky and the storyline is riveting and exciting. It is well on the way to becoming one of my favourite books!
on 7 March 2013
Titus Groan is a great read. Peake's descriptions are evocative, enchanting, disturbing and downright weird. The characters are peculiar and the plot weaves around the cold stone tower of Gormenghast almost organically.

It being a book with an archaic and erudite use of vocabulary, it was enormously frustrating that it contained so many errors where the electronic scanning of the book had not been proof-read and corrected: often I couldn't tell if a word was new to me or just randomly created by the scanning software.

I will go on to read the rest of the trilogy but will be buying paper copies.
on 10 May 2016
great value, fast derlivery
2 people found this helpful
on 17 September 2016
Wished they had introduced me to Mervyn Peake's Titus Groan and all of the Gormenghast Trilogy when I was at school - but that was over 50 years ago!
on 19 May 2015
Peake is a Marmite writer - totally fascinating, disturbing, enthralling - if you have the time to read the book. If not, the audio version is a painless way into Gormenghast if you're travelling into work on the train.
on 23 March 2018