Customer reviews

on 30 June 2015
The imagination and detail that has gone into this is truly staggering. The whole thing zips along at a stunning pace, especially the first act - I'm surprised nothing goes wrong technically.
I loved the whole framing device with Alice's parents becoming the King and Queen of Hearts - it gives a good plotline to the rather bitty nature of the original story.
Lauren Cuthbertson is fabulous as Alice - she captures that wide-eyed, gawky teenager to perfection. Her solos and partering with Sergei Polunin as the Knave of Hearts are so lyrical.
Where to begin with everthing else! Zenaida Yanowsky as the Queen of Hearts has be one of the great comic performances. Her spoof of the Rose Adagio from Sleeping Beauty (Jam Tart Adagio?) made me cry with laughter. The Cheshire Cat was stunning, and I loved the caterpillar.
Joby Talbot's lyrical and at times strident score is beautiful.
After watching a second time, I did wonder if this is really a ballet. Spectacle with some dance perhaps? Still loved it.
on 6 April 2013
I first discovered this ballet when I was writing my masters dissertation on Alice in Wonderland's cultural influence two years ago. It's just fantastic. Whilst I love the portrayal of Alice, the show is stolen by the ballerina who plays the Queen of Hearts. The sets, costumes and music were excellent and I found myself totally immersed. I'm afraid I'm not very good at reviewing the technical aspects of either a ballet performance or the DVD quality (I found no faults with either myself, although I'm sure you can find this information in another review). If you like ballet, or Alice in Wonderland, or just a good show - please buy this and enjoy.
on 9 October 2012
I bought this ballet by way of introducing my 2.5 year old grand daughter to dance, music and of course, Alice in Wonderland. She and I have watched hour upon hour. It was a huge undertaking for the Royal Ballet and it does not disappoint. Imaginative use of various media bring this classic tale to life. The score is wonderful and the dancers both faultless and humorous! Don't hesitate to consider this for the families christmas stocking - a lovely way to relax after christmas lunch or coping with the long dark winter. A must for anyone who enjoys ballet.
on 20 March 2017
It was a beautiful ballet and captured very well on film. Definitely worth a watch! I absolutely loved it and thought the choices for the roles was perfect with Lewis Carroll becoming the white rabbit and Alice's parents becoming the king and queen of hearts, it really begins to capture the context beyond the story of Alice in wonderland and portrays it brilliantly!
on 29 March 2017
Loved it, wish more performances were released this way.
on 4 April 2017
Wonderful
on 24 August 2017
Amazing ballet , very well composed . A good mix of classical ballet with the magic of Alice in wonderland.
on 15 March 2017
Beautiful.
on 18 February 2014
Every good thing has been said about this production in previous reviews, except for one. What about the wonderful scene with the equally wonderful Steven Mcrae as the "tap-dancing" mad hatter. Wash the sound of his "tapping" was on the cd.
on 12 March 2012
I loved it and watched twice in the same day. The lighting, costumes, coreography, the stage decoration are amazing, dancers fabulous, it is more than ballet! A masterpiece! Watched it with my daughter aged 13 studying ballet in conservatory, my husband who is an architect and my nephew only 6 years old. We all were fascinated by Wheeldon's Alice version. Use of new visual technologies with ballet were fabulous. Thank you Wheeldon and the team and dancers of Royal Ballet!