on 2 April 2012
Had this scanner now for nearly 6 months. My short list was between this and the Fujitsu Scan Snap S1500M. I bought this model because:

a) It was newer - and presumably would be supported longer on future versions of OS X

b) Smaller Footprint

c) Lower power consumption / output

d) Scan speed

The unit IS lower powered but when the rollers are pushing out documents, it is noisy and the power consumption spikes - but on average it is quite low. It is also CMOS, albeit Canon's special version with lenses over each receiver - so it is allegedly better than CCD although I remain to be fully convinced. It is however better quality than my old Canon flatbed from 2002 which is utterly useless in comparison (quality and speed).

Generally works ok, occasional paper jams, usually when one is feeding in too many documents at once. Certain types of paper it doesn't like so much so you have to feed them in fewer at a time.

The scanner software works ok but is rather confusingly laid out - if you want advanced settings on your saved scan job. There are many options to choose from, and there is little explanation in the manual so it will take years to figure out how to optimise fully if ever. However the scan quality is better than the best of Vuescan's settings - just - owing to some additional features.

Amazon is wrong - the scanner works on both PC and Mac out of the box and has both sets of SW on the CD/DVD. However! The Mac driver on the CD (1.0) didn't work at all on OS X Lion so I had to download the latest one (1.1) - this kinda worked but came up with an error on most days which meant I had to reinstall it nearly every day to keep it working. After a while it seemed to stabilise and did not require reinstallation every day or every other day - but the rest of my Lion OS was all messed up for other reasons (upgrading from SL to Lion was a bad idea rather than having a clean Lion install) so I elected to go back to using SL again. However, now the driver has gone back to being a PITA again and needs reinstalling every time I use the scanner. So the scan time is several minutes for a single sheet of paper! Very annoying but I hope Canon sort it out in the next version.

Funnily enough, I tried using the scanner in windows on my mac using VMware, using the windows driver. There are higher versions of the Windows drivers by Canon for this model but if you use EXACTLY the same scan settings as on the Mac version, the scan comes out totally differently - and actually was inferior. Something strange is going on here with the software development.

Do I recommend this scanner? I haven't tried the Tosh or Fujitsu so I can't compare but overall it's a semi-yes. Canon - sort out your software asap!!!! You've had long enough.

Update 30/10/2012:

I installed OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) onto my Mac (after having wiped the HDD completely first) and it seems much better, more stable and bug free than 10.7 (Lion). The same Canon driver version actually seems to work fine on 10.8, and I haven't had the problems described above, needing to reinstall the Canon SW every time I turn on the computer. The problem seemed to occur in OS X 10.6 and 10.7, but I cannot say whether this occurred because of OS installation problems or not. So overall, yes I'm quite happy with the scanner and software now. I still think the Canon CaptureOnTouch is rather ugly but it works well. Would I buy it again? Probably. I'd be very tempted however to get the latest Epson document scanner as I'm quite impressed with my new V33 flatbed scanner.
on 24 December 2013
Installs no problem, works without issues, what more do you want?
Unobtrusive and takes up very little desk space.
Bundled software is a bit naff but you don,t need all of it.
on 7 May 2013
this was perfect for the office digitization project, its fast and the quality is a lot better than the office MFP. Definitely recommend!
on 15 July 2013
faster and more reliable than an earlier smaller version that we wore out ! love the straightening option and the miss blank ages option
on 31 December 2014
Set up not so easy, needs Paperport too which isn't explained
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 November 2014
Did not meet our requirements had to return it. I needed a product which could attch to multiple computers. It would have been helpful if this fact was clearly displayed on the advertised product.