on 10 October 2014
Slow
on 30 August 2012
The Asus O!Play Mini Plus will play all of my video files from an attached USB drive, the problem I had was that, although it could see all files on my LAN, it streams almost nothing.
It will not play DVD and BD ISO files, but will stream VOB files, but then only one by one, not as a DVD folder (which makes watching films a tedious affair)
I bought the Asus because it has Gigabit Ethernet which my ageing Xtreamer doesn't , the Xtreamer plays everything , but stutters with BD ISOs.
I will now buy the latest Xtreamer (Sidewinder 3), which does have Gigabit LAN, and hope this solves the stuttering problem (some reports suggest that Gigabit Media Players don't necessarily work at Gigabit speeds)
To conclude, The Asus works fine with locally stored material, but is hopeless attached to a Home Network.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 June 2014
I had an asus media player previous to this one. It was far better than this newer one. What idiot at asus decided to make there media player worse than the previous ones.
on 16 May 2015
I bought it years ago and it was working... over the years ASUS made several upgrades of the system and now this box is just a junk.
all my files (video, pictures and music) are on the lan server. the player can find it but after the latest 3 upgrades it cannot sort it.
now imagine you have 5k pictures, 1k songs and 500 movies and you are looking for specific one. without sorting you are looking for hours because the order of the files as absolute random. so now I have to find the file with my mobile phone app (commander), move it to a unique folder and then I can play it on the box. Or I have them on usb stick where the box has no problem to sort it... the prblem was created by removing 20 lines of code in the software. unbelievable.

So ASUS, you managed to prove to me that customer satisfaction is worth nothing to you... the users complain about this since more then 2 years on your house forum. its really sad because the box was working fine in the past.
on 13 October 2011
I bought this player because my wdtv live plus is having problems in stopping and controlling the movies. I wasn't able to fix it and as this player is very necessary to me I decided to buy the asus o!play mini plus to replace my old player. So you can see this as a comparison between both players. And even with the problems I am facing with the wdtv live plus, I prefer a defective wdtv live than a brand new asus 0!play. About the asus:
- The image quality is incredibly bad, even in 1080 it seems to be filled with dust with complete lack of sharpness;
- The menus are confusing and the overall theme is ugly and gloomy;
- I don't know why but every 2 minutes the TV image disappeared and the TV showed the warning 'image format not supported' during some seconds.
- Also if you have a hard drive connected to the asus you can't access it through your computer. So if you want to copy new photos to this drive you have to connected to the computer directly or use the asus as a file manager, which in both cases is quite annoying.
Concluding, the asus o!play seems to be an incredibly good player but the image quality, menu accessibility and network access are quite poor. I do not recommend it at all.
Regards
on 17 January 2012
I bought this player after a lot of research, including downloading the manual from Asus to check exactly what it offered. I particularly wanted wireless networking and the ability to play dvd iso files with full menu support.

The player arrived from Amazon on the estimated delivery date, I opened the package at 3.00pm and by 3.30pm it was set up, connected to my network and playing my dvd iso files.

Image quality was excellent - as good as the original DVD. It has played faultlessly any media file type I have on my network - which consists of two Windows 7 PCs and a Linux box which acts as my main media server. The player is a UPnP device and it is seen on the network as a media player NOT a storage device.

Highly recommended - but make sure file shares are set up correctly!