Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.99

on 19 September 2011
Kasabian return with album number 4 the weirdly titled "Velociraptor", so it should come as no surprise that this is one of Kasabian's most ambitious albums to date, not bad for a band that has seen lazy journalism call Kasabian, Oasis clones and labelled them lad rock. While Kasabian might share some of Oasis confidence and swagger their music has always been more closely linked to Primal Scream, Happy Mondays, The Stone Roses and even 70's glam rock. A quick look back at their 3 previous albums would show a band not scared to experiment with different styles and sounds.

The album opens with "Let's Roll Like We Used To" which sees songwriter Serge Pizzorno looking back at the early days before they made it big. It's a good start to the album. On "Days Are Forgotten" the track starts off with some big beats and a funky groove and has Tom cheekily singing "You say i'm old hat, a f***in' dirty rat, call me cliche, how right you are", which is a nice dig at their critics. There's the brilliance of the Beatles-esque sounding "La Fée Verte" which is sung by Pizzorno. Add that to Kraftwerk sounding "I Hear Voices" and it shows that Kasabian are willing to experiment in as many styles of music as possible.

The title track "Velociraptor!" is a big sounding stomp that has Tom spitting out his lyric's, not to many bands could pull off a song about a dinosaur with out sounding stupid. There's the epic "Acid Turkish Bath (Shelter from the Storm)" which at over 6 minutes long sounds like Kashmir era Led Zeppelin. The album features two big tracks that are made for playing live the brilliant "Re-Wired" with its big chorus and the beat driven "Switchblade Smiles" a song that won't full be appreciated until it's played live.

With the deluxe edition you get the full near 2 hour show from the O2 in Dublin, Ireland from November 2009 on region free DVD, it's mixed in full surround as well. The Deluxe Edition comes in a white box set and contains the lyrics of all the tracks as well as poster of the black artwork of the album. One drawback of the white is that it marks really easy so it's best to handle with care!

With every album kasabian seem to make another stride musically, and "Velociraptor!" is no exception. For a band that talk big and don't lack confidence it's important they back it up strong musically and with "Velociraptor!" they certainly do. This could be the album that takes Kasabian from the arenas to Stadium Headliners!
on 7 April 2014
'Velociraptor!' (2011) is the 4th studio album by the British band Kasabian and, on this evidence, seem to have cemented their place as one of the top rock acts of the 21st Century. Sergio Pizzorno is on great form in the songwriting department; highlights include the frenetic title track, 'Days Are Forgotten', 'Goodbye Kiss' and 'Re-Wired' [I really enjoyed the mix of guitar and keyboards here]. Stylistically, the material is quite varied with the 'sounds of the Kasbah' used cleverly as a recurring theme. Definitely worth buying at a competitive price.
on 18 June 2014
This is a really good album and they performed it brilliantly live but I cant quite bring myself to give it five stars as there is a few fillers on it for me.

I would still happily buy it again
on 7 June 2014
Obviously Velociraptor! is the main part of this edition, but I already had it and Man of Simple Pleasures EP was the main reason to buy this item.
Absolutely recommended if you are a Kasabian fan, especially because of Narcotic Farm.
on 2 December 2013
Mediocre at some points, definetely not as good as Empire or West Pauper, some good little tracks though like "Re-Wired" and "Switchblade Smiles". Have not really listened to it since the first time as it did not impress
on 17 July 2013
Kasabian...what can I say? One of my all time favourite bands, and this was a corker! Switchblade Smiles definitely the stand out track, but the others are growers, after a few plays the whole album becomes a classic...great stuff fellas!
on 21 September 2011
After my first listen of Velociraptor!, I thought that it was only a little better than average. However, after a few more spins the album made a lot more sense to me, and I am pleased to confirm that it is far from being a disappointment.

The first three tracks are very strong (Let's Roll Like We Used To, Days Are Forgotten and Goodbye Kiss). Then comes La Fee Verte which marks a turning point in the album into some more Psychedelic and Experimental territory. La Fee Verte has some nice lyrics and wouldn't sound out of place on Kasabian's brilliant 3rd album WRPLA. Then comes Velociraptor! I'll be honest and admit that before I'd heard the album as a whole I was a little concerned about the, shall we say, "simplicity" of the lyrics in this track. However, I feel that it does the same job in the album as, for example "She's Electric" or "Digsy's Diner" do in both of Oasis' decent albums. Basically, when you hear the track Velociraptor! amongst the other tracks in the album it seems to fit, and make a lot more sense.

Acid Turkish Bath seems to have drawn a lot of comparisons to Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir". And while there are certain similarities, I think on the whole the tracks are very incomparable. While Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" is driven by the songs main riff, Acid Turkish Bath is very much more about the songs lyrics and melody. It is however one of the high points of the album.

I Hear Voices is one of my least favourite tracks, however due to its stand-out riff I don't consider it bad at all. I feel it fits the album well, however it is just a little average. "Re-Wired" follows, and is one of the strongest tracks of the album. It has a great bass-line and a stomping verse, bridge and chorus.

Man of Simple Pleasures sounds a little close to one of Gorillaz most famous tracks to begin with (I can't name it as I don't listen to Gorillaz). However, it later turns into a fairly nice chorus. Possibly one of the weakest tracks, but still nice in parts and certainly isn't a track you'd want to 'skip'.

Switchblade Smiles splits opinion - but I personally think it is very good. It sounds different to most of the album, and will remind most of the stuff on their debut. The final track Neon Noon is the weakest track on the album. Perhaps I need a few more listens, but I don't really 'get it'. I think that if the final track of the album was as strong, as say, the final track of Empire then the album would receive an extra star in most people's review (including mine).

So there we have it, a track by track review of Velociraptor!

While it isn't quite as good as the brilliant WRPLA, it is still a definite purchase for anyone who enjoys Kasabian, or similar artists.
on 24 March 2013
Take this review with a pinch of salt as musical reviews are entirely personally. I wont bother with high brow musical terminology. Simply put I think this a great album. I wasnt the biggest fan of Kasabians earlier work but in my opinion this is their best. Plenty of good songs that you want/need to play loud.
on 7 April 2012
I bought this CD after seeing the band perform on a TV chat show: they only played one track but it was interesting enough to take a chance on the album and I'm glad I did.

I thought their first album was pretty much a triumph of attitude over content: snarling rock lyrics over bass heavy riffs and lots of noise and feedback.... OK if you like that sort of thing but I pretty much went off it when I was 21 - a long time ago.

So with that history, their fourth album represents a startling leap forward in every respect. Complex, subtly shifting rhythms, syncopation, intersting lyrics and a tight, coherent feel to the structure: oh and some really good tunes as well.

Overall a sparkling achievement and an amazingly rapid progress to maturity: can't wait to see what they do next.
on 19 September 2011
If I had to sum this up in one sentence it would be: Strong at the start, strong at the end, shame about the middle.
It's a good album; it's Kasabian doing what they do best. All Oasis comparisons can be finally laid to rest (they never really applied anyway) Instead, these guys come from a world of their own where its always summer in the late 60s and it always rocks. With songs like these, it's a place I want to move to. Tomorrow.
Tracks like 'Lets Roll Like We Used To'and 'Days are Forgotten' really set the tone, and I reckon they'll sound awesome live. There's a lot of slower numbers too, like 'Goodbye Kiss' which evoke sound like some sixties crooner strung out on substance abuse, and 'La Free Verte', a track The Small Faces or The Kinks should have written.
But then, from 'Acid Turkish Bath' onwards it starts to get a bit, well, weak. They try hard and they succeed, but tracks like 'I Hear Voices' and 'A Man Of Simple Pleasures' just aren't as good as tracks on 'West Ryder Pauper Asylum.'
And that's half the problem. If 'West Ryder..' hadn't been so awesome, this album would have stood up a lot better. Instead you find yourself harking back to it.
It picks up with a bang with 'Switchblade Smiles.' Yes, that's more like it. Lets have some more of this. But it lets you down gently with the grandly mellow 'Neon Moon' to round things off, and then it's all over.
All in all, a good album, and I think it's a grower. Not as good as 'West Ryder..' perhaps, but easily as good as 'Empire.' Get it and you won't be disappointed.