TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 March 2017
This is a very enjoyable and often hilarious account of a young man's 5 years working in the Holiday Inn in Tibet during the late 19802 and early 1990's. The stories of life in the hotel are very amusing, and the book evokes the Tibet of the time - coming to terms with modernity in its various, often unattractive forms.

Thoroughly enjoyable - and it hasn't entirely put me off wanting to visit some day!
on 6 July 2016
Brilliant book!
on 19 October 2016
Very funny book - laughed out loud!!!
on 3 February 2017
Great little book - hilarious too
on 16 June 2017
Very entertaining read
on 12 March 2017
A brilliant funny book I loved it
on 1 August 2000
I loved this book. I've read some of the more serious Tibet books which I find quite heavy going. This guy gives you a good understanding of the situation and the plight of the Tibetans while at the same time giving you a really good read. There is his 'British sense of humor' that evidentally kept him going through the strangest of situations and even a romantic angle arrives too. Definitley my favorite book this year.
on 5 December 2000
I stumbled in this book my chance as I was browsing for reference material on health and hygiene. As the author and I share the same rather unusual surname, a hotel background and a love of travel to far flung places I thought this might be 'my kind of book'. I was not disappointed.
Alec Le Sueur gives us an accurate and extremely amusing behind-the scenes look at hotel life. Hoteliers will find memories come bounding back as Le Sueur's tales remind them of similar experiences. How little the guest knows as he obliviously whiles his days away in his 'luxury' hotel!
For the traveller - both real and armchair - Le Sueur takes us on a journey through his Tibetan life, sharing with us his thoughts and observations. He gives us a rare insight into this mysterious country as he is one of just a handleful of foreigners who have spent such a long period of time living in this closed world.
At times his tales are thought-provoking, sometimes poignent. For the most part they are so funny I found myself laughing out loud.
This book is a mu-rad for anyone with an interest in Tibet or an appreciation for the 'funny side of life.'
11 Comment| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 April 2000
A delectable book filled with the devastatingly funny experiences of bringing western hotel standards to one of my favourite places in the world. The smells, sights and sounds of Tibet are laid before us to experience, without the altitude sickness. The adrenalin boosting flights on China Airlines, the soaring beauty of the Himalaya's, saffron coloured in the dawn light and the cultural complications of working with the delightful locals and cosmopolitans who are involved in the project are a literary feast. We fell out of bed laughing! What a gem!
on 31 October 2001
The book starts well and gets better. Mr Le Sueur writes lightly and well, describing difficulties but making them seem funny. It is not as cringeworthy as Fawlty towers, but there are definite similarities. One of my favourites is the chapter about the "Miss Tibet" competition which is renamed into the fashion show. The book is also very informative about Tibet and the situation with China. Very human, very funny, critical and pure joy to read.