on 23 August 2017
Interesting
on 20 May 2017
Excellent
on 11 February 2014
This was bought to have a look back on some old sayings and their meanings and has not disappointed, also helped to clear up a few disagreements.
on 6 February 2015
Very interesting. It's great to know where the old sayings originate from.
on 29 June 2017
interesting
on 5 December 2013
Pleasant read to dip in and out of. Not too heavy, good bedtime reading. Some quirky and unusual facts that pepper the book throughout
on 7 February 2014
As with Red Sky At Night, a good read with some entertaining facts
and folk lore, heard previously but forgotten
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book was an enjoyable read. I found most, if not all, of the sayings that I am familiar with inside its covers. It's one of those books that you can pick up and dip into whenever you have a few moments to spare. Whilst it may not give an encyclopedic account of a sayings origins, it certainly enables you to gain an insight into how or why they have been passed down. I was interested to find out that quite a few have now been validated by scientific research. A good example of this is "St Swithun's day if thou dost rain ...." which has been found to have a pretty sound scientific basis. Apparently in mid-July the jet stream tends to settle into position for the summer, and if by 15 July it's on a southerly pathway, bringing rain, it will often stay that way until the end of August. I think that overall this book has made me even more aware of how completely out of touch we are nowadays with the world that we live in. There are many illustrations by the leading English wood engraver, Thomas Bewick, reproduced throughout the book which add to the pleasure of reading its text.
VINE VOICEon 5 October 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The book is a lovely size to hold and is a hardback with an attractive paper cover.
I can't quite decide who this book is best aimed at. It's one of those books you dip in and out of really,as it lacks enough breadth and detail to be a reference book. I kept thinking it actually would be a great book for children, but it is clearly written for adults.

The explanation for some of the sayings seem a bit obvious, or maybe that's my generation? I think we were taught this kind of thing at school, and also we had those wonderful Ladybird books that were easy to read alone. Having said that some of the examples do have a lot of detail and delve back into history to when the sayings were first recorded. I have learned some interesting details from this book. eg "Red Sky At Night" goes back to the fourteenth century where it appears in John Wycliffe"s Bible.. Also that the reason for the red sky at night and red sky in the morning is given here: redness is seen in the sky opposite the sun when light rays hit water droplets in the atmosphere! Useful for knowing whether or not to bring in the sheep.

Many sayings are in fact attempts at long term weather predictions which must have been invaluable for the farmers, did they work I wonder?

A personal favourite is: n'er cast a clout til May is out...... I've been told that a clout is/was specifically a vest,(in the book it says a winter layer of clothing but I like the exactness of vest) and have found this a useful guide, anyone with me on this? :-)

The book has beautiful illustrations that are little engravings by Thomas Bewick, the leading wood engraver of his day. 18th century.

Its not a book I would ever buy for myself, but would make a good gift.
and I think a children's edition would be a great idea.