on 11 November 2013
Garmin Nuvi 2595. As a Satnav, I think its brilliant. The reason I have given it only 3 stars is because I had immense trouble downloading updates to maps and software. The problem was that Garmin Express and GarminMapUpdater failed to recognise the device. I spent several frustrating hours downloading and installing new versions of usb drivers, browser plug-ins and all associated software, alternative usb cables, avoiding usb hub, trying Firefox and Internet Express, ... without any success. I was just about to give up and send it back to Amazon when I found an online entry explaining that some of these devices were shipped with the wrong mode preset, to "MTP AutoDetect mode" not "Mass Storage mode". To fix this, do the following: Power on the satnav and wait until main menu displayed, go to the Volume screen, then press and hold the top right hand corner of the Volume screen for about 10 seconds (I know, seems quite bizarre)- the screen has nothing to indicate that anything lurks there. This secret procedure brings up a developer menu. Scroll down and select "MTP Settings". This takes you to another menu where you should select "Mass Storage" and Save. Problem solved!!! but what a pain!!! I dont know if this was just a small batch of these had the problem. Anyone who is not comfortable with computers and software is likely to just send the device back.
Downloaded software updates and all new Europe maps without any problems (takes 3 to 4 hours on my broadband connection).
55 Comments| 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 October 2014
Apart from the update and traffic on this Garmin Sat Nav my original Garmin Nuvi is much better. I had both sat navs on going to Newquay from Preston area and the new sat nav underestimated my time of arrival by over an hour!! My old Garmin sat nav was (as always) completely accurate. I only bought a new Sat Nav for the update service but it took me down a 5' wide country lane and still couldn't find campsite!! My old sat Nav wanted to take me a different way but I took notice of newer version. - big mistake!!! Mind you - neither Sat Nav can find my address but send me to a slightly different location!! Not happy !! Only keeping as my kids like the additional sounds and cars!! Will always need both Sat Navs on !! This has now broken as the lead attachment to the back of the sat nav is just not great.
on 1 November 2013
A warning to people considering purchasing this product. If you follow the instructions, it will fail!!

After a couple of calls to the support team, they admitted that the update to the European maps that will be automatically downloaded will be too big for the SatNav.

So sadly unless they change something 100% of the people who purchase this will have a frustrating experience.

Even worse, my first call to support got a rather chirpy, "ah yes, we have a fault finding guide for that, I will send that to you by email".

Needless to say the fault-finding guide does not fix this fault.

I am checking if just inserting a micro SD card into device solves this problem, however one feels that there is something rather dishonest and dysfunctional here.

I will report back if that fixes this problem.
on 3 June 2014
I've got the Garmin today and I took it for a test drive. I decided to tank my car. Instead a petrol station Garmin led me to a abandoned property with no petrol station around. That was horrific. On the motorway it gave me wrong direction, unclear lane indication and wrong street pronunciation. £130 for this? Free android sat nav perform better! I will send it back ASAP- I don't want to be near this sat nav as I could accidently throw it out of the window!
on 21 June 2014
I bought this model because I wanted the sat nav to confirm the road name I was turning onto. It does do this but it states the name of the road eg London Road rather than stating the actual road number on the signs eg A45 to Coventry so really isn't a help. Bit disappointed. The traffic function doesn't seem to work on it either. I has taken straight into jams when there would have been alternatives. With this in mind I don't think this model is worth the extra money, I could have bought a much cheaper one.

Also it is sometimes slow to update and you miss the turn or it leaves you at busy roundabouts with no idea which turning to take as it is 'processing route'.
on 11 October 2013
I've been using the Nuvi 2595 for a couple of months now and I am extremely impressed. Moving from built-in GPS in a BMW to this I was somewhat concerned that the Nuvi wouldn't be up to the challenge. I am very glad to say that I find it easier to use and overall a better GPS.

Perhaps the most surprising was how effective the voice recognition is. It rarely seems to misinterpret my commands and the voice commands are so much safer and easier to use than reaching forward while driving.

The only significant improvement I would really look for is an improved holder - one where the power lead could be built in and the device just snapped into place, rather than having to plug in the cable on the back every time.

I can thoroughly recommend this product.
on 2 August 2017
Garmin's own software update bricked this unit. They refused to accept responsibility and accused me of breaking the USB port. The USB port is fine and powers the unit to blank screen because of their incompetence. Note that Garmin UK kept me on hold for an hour. I wasn't going to be intimidated though. They didn't even refund the special delivery potage costs either. Will never buy Garmin products again.
on 10 June 2017
sold as a new product, according to the garmin data on this serial number, this is a refurbished model. The USB connection has always been dodgy. This is disgusting that this was sold as a new model when it has been refurbished.
on 23 November 2012
This was a great buy, much better than my previous sat nav.
Apart from all the great technical features, the Sat NAv robot doesn't say "recalculating" everytime you change your mind about which road to follow. She just changes the route and away you go.
Great visibility, clear display, easy-to-read info.
on 10 August 2017
Excellent product & Service.